Patriots Sign Alge Crumpler

We never had him in for a visit like Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis. A guy will almost always go visit a team and see what kind of offer they might throw out. We showed no interest. I guess our TEs are so good that the front office doesn't see the need! Hilarious.

IMO, the bolded part is wrong and many posters don't understand this. The Bills contact the player's agent and they decline to interview, for a bunch of reasons that make sense to them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Crumpler was a FA back in 2008, the Bills brought him in for a visit. He made it clear he didn't to play in Buffalo. That's why they didn't bring him in. No loss though since his receiving skills are almost non-existent and his blocking is eroding. He's better off on the Patriots, who at this stage are on the verge of the playoffs.

AHHH...the patriots were looking for a player with non-existent receiving skills and eroding blocking..Actually we already have tight ends who can't block and don't receive very well..so no point in looking at that guy.

AHHH...the patriots were looking for a player with non-existent receiving skills and eroding blocking..Actually we already have tight ends who can't block and don't receive very well..so no point in looking at that guy.

Nelson is a better receiving TE than Crumpler at this stage of Crumpler's fading career. And again, the Bills looked at Crumpler 2 years ago and he didn't want to play in Buffalo, so no point in wasting their time.

God, we missed another washed-up, over the hill nobody, who had a couple of decent seasons in the distant past who offers NOTHING of an upgrade at his position.

I'd rather have Nelson and Shouman anyway. Guys who can get open and catch NOW, not 5 yrs ago. And if you want a 6th lineman put Bell in as a blocking TE.

Next people will be complaining that we didn't go after Duante Culpepper.

Why not us? Because if we HAD signed him, he would not be worthy of signing. That's the rule, see.

Besides, it never ceases to amaze me how fans make so many assumptions about FA moves and the Bills FO. What fans don't have access to (in addition to a lot of other information) is the level of interest of certain FAs in playing in Buffalo. For all you know, the Bills contacted his agent and were told "thanks, but..."

Okay, the Patriots lost Ben Watson and another tight end this offseason. So, what do they do? They quickly go get a decent veteran replacement in Alge Crumpler in free agency. Crumpler is considered only an average receiving threat, but is considered a 6th O-Lineman when it comes to blocking.

My question is: Since we have a bunch of unproven TEs on our roster, and it's been widely known that we've been trying to upgrade our TE position for years now, why did we not sign a guy like Crumpler? It just makes you really see the difference of the haves (Pats) vs. the have nots (Bills). They just quickly fill holes that pop up . . . we let them fester and don't ever fill them until the proverbial "next year". We create more holes that we can fill in one year EVERY year! Really frustrating at this point.

The Bills will have to take their lumps over the next couple and earn a reputation again. That's all there is to it. Cleveland, San Fransico, and the Redskins are all in the same slump. Hopefully the Bills are finally on stable ground with Nix and the crew.

Crumpler is old and slow. Have you seen him play the last couple of years?

True - U forgot fat. IMO the Pats downgraded at tight end. Watson seemed pretty good, Crumpler had a couple of good years. But Vick was such a threat back then - I think I could have gotton open downfield because all eyes were on Vick.

I knew that a common response like "Crumpler isn't that great" was coming. That's not the point. I'm saying that the Pats go and fill holes, we don't bother much and are left with more holes than draft picks. Nobody can tell me that this roster couldn't have used a good blocking vet TE like Crumpler.

So you're saying we should just be signing players regardless of whether they have anything left in the tank? I don't get it in this instance. Though I do understand generally what you're saying, I don't think plugging holes like that makes sense in year one of a new regime. Last year I could have seen it when the coaches were fighting for their jobs, but this year is year one of a rebuild. You gotta get more young guys in there as well as seeing what the young guys on the roster can do. Maybe Shawn Nelson and someone else makes us not need him. Either way, is he going to be the difference between making the playoffs and not? Probably not.

Nelson is a better receiving TE than Crumpler at this stage of Crumpler's fading career. And again, the Bills looked at Crumpler 2 years ago and he didn't want to play in Buffalo, so no point in wasting their time.

okay...so obviously the new england patriots don't know what they are doing and they made a huge personnel mistake in signing such a crummy prospect, which is why they haven't made the playoffs in ten years? oh...wait a minute...its us who haven't made the playoffs in ten years....

We never had him in for a visit like Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis. A guy will almost always go visit a team and see what kind of offer they might throw out. We showed no interest. I guess our TEs are so good that the front office doesn't see the need! Hilarious.

Not true.

Trying to get a fan that only reacts on emotion to understand facts is laborious and boring. I hate these posts.

Why not us? Because if we HAD signed him, he would not be worthy of signing. That's the rule, see.

The corollary to the rule is that a player is good because we signed him. This applies whether the guy was a penalty machine and a revolving door for the Raiders, A guy who flunked physicals for every other team that looked at him and was cut because he refused surgery to resolve a recurring injury or a linebacker who was pretty good for the Broncos but, according to the denver post might have a little problem stopping the run....

"For all that went wrong during the Broncos' 2-8 finish, nothing bothered coach Josh McDaniels and Xanders more than their defense surrendering a combined 558 yards rushing yards against AFC West rivals Oakland and Kansas City in the final two home games."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14656709#ixzz0jC0DVaL4

Actually I think Andra Davis is the one pretty good pickup of the three. Not a great pickup as we're not even sure he'll be a starter and we have all sorts of bizarre experiments going on with the linebacking corps.

okay...so obviously the new england patriots don't know what they are doing and they made a huge personnel mistake in signing such a crummy prospect, which is why they haven't made the playoffs in ten years? oh...wait a minute...its us who haven't made the playoffs in ten years....

The Patriots don't have Nelson and Schouman on their roster.

The Bills did not need an aging vet for a blocking TE. the Pats had more need for him because the cut Baker and decieded to let Watson walk. the problem with ben Watson is he always showed signs of greatness in one game then looked like a rookie the next. He has been in the league for 6 years and you still can not count him to make the catch. He made 2 great TD catches in the Bills game then did nothing the rest of the year.

Okay, the Patriots lost Ben Watson and another tight end this offseason. So, what do they do? They quickly go get a decent veteran replacement in Alge Crumpler in free agency. Crumpler is considered only an average receiving threat, but is considered a 6th O-Lineman when it comes to blocking.

My question is: Since we have a bunch of unproven TEs on our roster, and it's been widely known that we've been trying to upgrade our TE position for years now, why did we not sign a guy like Crumpler? It just makes you really see the difference of the haves (Pats) vs. the have nots (Bills). They just quickly fill holes that pop up . . . we let them fester and don't ever fill them until the proverbial "next year". We create more holes that we can fill in one year EVERY year! Really frustrating at this point.

Pretty simple, the Pats have a jerk that knows what he's doing. And we don't. They know how to win championships, and we don't. Maybe one day, we'll be in that enviable position :ph34r:

Joey Galloway last year comes to mind....After losing Demitrioff and Pioli to Hotlanta and KC respectivly the pats* may be heading downhill in the personal department no? Gee it just may be possible :ph34r:

^Damn you! Beat me to it!!

Why are you so sure the Bills weren't interested? Sometimes, guys choose other places. If your choices were the Bills or the Pats*, where would you sign?

Exactly. All things being equal, the Bills sign no one. Players do not want to be there, all other things (pay, etc.) being equal.. We get the damaged goods (Stroud, which worked out, Dwan Edwards.. we'll see... )