Reasonable and Civil Discussion?

Now this is unfortunate. I had high hopes for the May Day protests, and at first it seemed like all was well.

And then...

Really unfortunate.

I've seen SF hippies shake there head in disbelief when you mention Santa Cruz. I've got to make it down there someday for some wine tasting and some good old fashions anarchy. :rolleyes:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen SF hippies shake there head in disbelief when you mention Santa Cruz. I've got to make it down there someday for some wine tasting and some good old fashions anarchy. :rolleyes:

I'm about to go WAY off topic now, but as a transplanted east coast guy in California, I don't mind admitting I got pretty fired up when I realized I was suddenly close to areas where Hollywood shot some of my favorite movies growing up.

When I lived in Santa Clara, I couldn't wait to go to Santa Cruz boardwalk. To my surprise, it was every bit as creepy during the day as they made it to be at night in "The Lost Boys." I actually spent an entire day driving around Palos Verdes looking for "the giant W" from "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." These were the four palm trees under which the treasure was buried. An entire day looking, only to find out they were just four palm trees that were tied and pulled to make the W shape (and they were no longer there). But I also was near the house in PV where they shot the scene in Lethal Weapon 2 where Rog's pal Hunsaker gets shot (while drinking out of a milk carton) by a sniper in a helicopter.

Cheesy, I know. But I'm almost over it. Just need to make time to go to Fox Plaza in downtown LA, find my way to the roof, look over the top and mumble, "Who's driving that car? Stevie Wonder?"

I'm about to go WAY off topic now, but as a transplanted east coast guy in California, I don't mind admitting I got pretty fired up when I realized I was suddenly close to areas where Hollywood shot some of my favorite movies growing up.

When I lived in Santa Clara, I couldn't wait to go to Santa Cruz boardwalk. To my surprise, it was every bit as creepy during the day as they made it to be at night in "The Lost Boys." I actually spent an entire day driving around Palos Verdes looking for "the giant W" from "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." These were the four palm trees under which the treasure was buried. An entire day looking, only to find out they were just four palm trees that were tied and pulled to make the W shape (and they were no longer there). But I also was near the house in PV where they shot the scene in Lethal Weapon 2 where Rog's pal Hunsaker gets shot (while drinking out of a milk carton) by a sniper in a helicopter.

Cheesy, I know. But I'm almost over it. Just need to make time to go to Fox Plaza in downtown LA, find my way to the roof, look over the top and mumble, "Who's driving that car? Stevie Wonder?"

I am so over Hollywood having cooked for all those !@#$s for 20 years. However I will NEVER get over the hot women that come out of the woodwork the first warm weekend of the year. This weekend was fan!@#$ingtastic! :rolleyes::P:wallbash: Even my wife got into the act with the half naked guys jogging and rollerblading.

Actually there is one place I'd like to go and that's to Bodega Bay where they filmed The Birds.

Of course, you could extend that metaphor to say just as easily that jw broke the "fourth wall" the moment he decided to post on TSW.

The idea is more literally "altered expectations". You're arguing not that jw's posting directly reflects on his writing, but alters people's expectations of him as an authority. As an AP writer, he's viewed as authoritative. As an AP writer who visits TSW...now, he's unavoidably associated with the likes of Skooby or ICE, so people view him in an additional, new context. Now he starts slumming it on PPP...NOW the context includes the likes of me and Darin (abusive) and conner and Hedd (preternaturally stupid), and the context is altered yet again. It doesn't change jw per se...but it changes people's expectations of him.

And Lori, all due respect, but you should understand that phenomenon perfectly after the whole "How long does it take jw to transcribe a 10-minute interview, anyway?" exchange. That doesn't happen if jw's posting here hadn't altered the expectation that people (not all) have of him from "profession sports reporter" to "cool, he's a regular guy too!"

Which is not an argument that jw or others shouldn't post on TSW (or PPP) either. Overall, if people view jw as less of an authoritative figure having him post here, I personally think it's balanced out by his value to the board (and hopefully by the board's value to him). And the "fourth wall" phenomenon, while common, is hardly ubuquitous (I, for example, am not enamored by claims of authority in any form; jw's posting here doesn't change my opinions of his work one whit). But LA is talking about a very real phenomenon, nonetheless.

dc, you rock. i owe you a drink. and i sincerely mean that.

jw

ADD: yours is an even-keeled argument that LA confused with talk about his college roommates. though i kind of, somewhat understood. and it's very possible LA, i just might be hitting your end of the country and we just might be able to sarah palin this whole thing. oh, sorry if i overstepped my exuberence and the drilling, baby, drilling part. sorry. unfair...

I am so over Hollywood having cooked for all those !@#$s for 20 years. However I will NEVER get over the hot women that come out of the woodwork the first warm weekend of the year. This weekend was fan!@#$ingtastic! :):beer::thumbsup: Even my wife got into the act with the half naked guys jogging and rollerblading.

Actually there is one place I'd like to go and that's to Bodega Bay where they filmed The Birds.

At least you have no threat from half naked men jogging in SF.

I am so over Hollywood having cooked for all those !@#$s for 20 years. However I will NEVER get over the hot women that come out of the woodwork the first warm weekend of the year. This weekend was fan!@#$ingtastic! :nana::D:thumbsup: Even my wife got into the act with the half naked guys jogging and rollerblading.

Chef, don't go out of your way for Bodega Bay. If you're close by anyways, fine.

This might help a bit:

http://www.bodegabay.com/features/birds.html

Things change. I have been in Larkspur, CA (right next to San Quentin) and saw the area where Dirty Harry jumps onto the school bus and then tracks down Scorpio ("....well, do ya, ..Punk?") . The trestle he jumped from is still there, but the area over the street is gone because a truck hit it in the past. The quarry he was chasing Scorpio around is now apartments, condos, and townhouses.