Why the Bills should be better in 2010.

Coach55

After reading countless number of posts on how many holes this team has and that they will be lucky to win 6 games in 2010, I want to make the following comment:

Over the Dick Jauron era, we had consistently fielded playoff caliber teams. There were holes in the lineup every year, but the talent was pretty much mostly there. Question marks did exist at QB and the lines, but if it wasn't for a few plays here and there, we could have easily been 10-6 in any of the last 4 seasons. A lot of people blame injuries, but every team suffers injuries (we did suffer more, but I don't like that excuse).

This year our team is arguably weaker than last (no more TO, Butler retired, Schobel will be gone, we are running a 3-4 with players who fit a 4-3, etc.). However, one crucial difference has occurred - DJ is no longer here. On top of that many of the "old regime" is also gone. There was a notable difference in the team's performance under Perry Fewell last year (yes they did only go 3-4). Had he coached the whole year, I would have expected a better season than 6-10.

But now, we have something new: a totally NEW regime. Since Nix has been in charge, the team seems to be operating with "a purpose". The attitude has changed. I am not sure if Gailey will be able to emanate it as well as Nix, but I feel these guys have come in with something to prove.

I still think we have a lot of holes and need a franchise QB (I keep telling myself - give up on Trent, but part of me feels in a new scheme, he has the talent), but I think if the new regime comes out with something to prove early, the team will be able to build off their successes. The key is we need to have the "attitude" to win the close games. We were 2-6 in games decided by 7 points or less last season. We flip that upside down and we go 10-6. We don't have a Super Bowl team yet, but I think the cards are there for a playoff birth.

The schedule is more difficult.

After reading countless number of posts on how many holes this team has and that they will be lucky to win 6 games in 2010, I want to make the following comment:

Over the Dick Jauron era, we had consistently fielded playoff caliber teams. There were holes in the lineup every year, but the talent was pretty much mostly there. Question marks did exist at QB and the lines, but if it wasn't for a few plays here and there, we could have easily been 10-6 in any of the last 4 seasons. A lot of people blame injuries, but every team suffers injuries (we did suffer more, but I don't like that excuse).

This year our team is arguably weaker than last (no more TO, Butler retired, Schobel will be gone, we are running a 3-4 with players who fit a 4-3, etc.). However, one crucial difference has occurred - DJ is no longer here. On top of that many of the "old regime" is also gone. There was a notable difference in the team's performance under Perry Fewell last year (yes they did only go 3-4). Had he coached the whole year, I would have expected a better season than 6-10.

But now, we have something new: a totally NEW regime. Since Nix has been in charge, the team seems to be operating with "a purpose". The attitude has changed. I am not sure if Gailey will be able to emanate it as well as Nix, but I feel these guys have come in with something to prove.

I still think we have a lot of holes and need a franchise QB (I keep telling myself - give up on Trent, but part of me feels in a new scheme, he has the talent), but I think if the new regime comes out with something to prove early, the team will be able to build off their successes. The key is we need to have the "attitude" to win the close games. We were 2-6 in games decided by 7 points or less last season. We flip that upside down and we go 10-6. We don't have a Super Bowl team yet, but I think the cards are there for a playoff birth.

I love your optimism, and rather you were right than me with my gloomy diagnosis of the Bills organization and projected record for the upcoming season! There is no way that this team will be better than .500 this season and that's beyond reasonable as I think 4 or 5 wins is on the mark. Historically, if you look at how teams fare the season that they switch from the 4/3 defense to the 3/4 defense it is not pretty! I believe if I remember correctly that 4 or 5 wins is better than the average of a team that switches defense. Add that we have mostly new Management except for Tom Modrak, Russ Brandon and a couple of other behind the scenes people, a entirely new coaching staff that has little NFL experience. Yes, Chan Gailey has some, but not a momentus amount and he was only marginally successful. Most of their coaches come from the 2nd best College in Georgia...Georgia Tech...maybe not even 2nd? Then they hire Buddy Nix who is likeable but comes with no GM experience (Sounds like another Marv Levy...great guy, but out of his territorial waters)...You have to take into account the repetitious injuries that have plagued the Bills over the past several years. By God, they had 20 guys on injured reserve last season. That is beyond the norm...and hopefully this staff will get them in game shape.

I don't even think the Bills organization from what I understand is optimistic about a winning season year. I think one of the

people in management was interviewed and mentioned that it is going to take some time to right this ship? There are many holes on this team, which is like looking at a piece of swiss cheese! IMO Trent Edwards is not the right QB to lead the offense. Trent Edwards even at his best was lousy in every contest that the weather was not ideal! If it's raining, snowing, cold, foggy, on turf, away games, etc...Trent is a non-productive QB ! If it is a home game against Seattle, Oakland,

Detroit and it is 72 degrees and partly sunny and nobody is injured and it's early in the year then Trent Edwards is capable of throwing 2 touchdowns/1 interception for 215 yards !! But if it's anything but ideal forget it...and now that he has had

multiple concussions I think he plays scared. I don't like him as a player and don't see that he is improving at all. I see him regressing, lacking confidence, injury prone, lacking football intelligence even though he is book smart. I think if we start Trent this year it will quickly turn into another washed out season by week #8.

I think M. Lynch has a bad attitude and it has been discussed that a lot of his teamates are turned off by his condescending

attitude. I think he is bad for morale and for the city of Buffalo and if the Bills are as serious as you say about winning you should see him gone before the beginning of the season. That will be one indicator rather the Bills are heading in the right

direction or not to me.

Roscoe Parrish has made it clear that he wants to move on...and personally if a player doens't want to be here..I don't want him and neither should the coaches. The only way I see that changing is if the Bill's plan on starting him at WR.

I don't want that as I don't think he is a starter at the position but one heck of a special teams player and a good changeup.

If he remains here I'd be surprised, and maybe even disappointed. The Bills sure lack for WR's who can usually be drafted

in the early rounds.

Defensive end positions on this team are a mess! You got that guy I barely can remember hmmm...I'll get back to him..and you are probably losing A. Schobel to retirement, but even if he sticks for another year...He's done! Once your contemplating retirement your on your way out the door...except for Brett Favre...lol Aaron Maybe Maybin is a whole

segment..how disappointing is it when they draft players way undersized with the belief that they will grow into their frame in about 2 or three years...By the time he does he'll probably be just about gone...as the Bills rarely keep their players when come to fruitation~ And I am right about that...ie: London Fletcher, Jabari Greer, Nate Clements, Sam Cowhart, Antwoine Winfield, Pat Williaims,.....and many more...alot of talent that the Bills won't pay for.

So when the talent begins to peak, the Bills don't compete to keep a player. Instead N.O. gets Greer who is a good player!

Each time the Bills do this, they have another hole to fill...and if you get a FA stop gap player like Buddy Nix stated...then yes you fill the hole but not the talent void at a discount. You substitute quality with numbers which leads you to patching

holes each season instead of building and adding on to what you have. It's a sinking boat with a waterpump! Yes, your keeping up with the rising water, but your not making progress...Instead of being proactive the Bills are being reactive!!

Again, I just don't understand why you think the Bills are going to be 10-6 ??? Based on what....??? QB? No ....WR's ? NO...

RB's ? You have one! But when you need to get into the endzone and need a tough 3 yards on 3rd down..what always happens with the Bills? They attempt a FG !!! F. Jackson is more elusive than powerful ! Okay, based on LB's NO! Who

Pozinjury...Pozluzny..whatever, NYG's former player...can't even remember his name he's hidden so well? Nah...not LB'S no! DT's Nope! Holes across the line! Big weakness not worth arguing over that one.....Okay our O LINE? Hope E. WOODS

recovers that's a big if....Nobody as far as OLT that's going to protect the QB! Levitre may be okay...he's young has lots to learn yet...but overall NO! Looks like we're down to the kickers, special teams, and CB's when it comes to the strength of

this team. That is something to build on but we're a long way from the playoffs!

We lose a lot of close games...sure...but the better teams make more plays and win the close ones...Detroit lost several close games in their winless season! Nobody remembers that....and then they improved some and won 2 Games last season. So what, It's not a great leaugue but we're not nearly good enough to win 10 games. The Bills are in a major

rebuilding stage only you don't realize that and neither does a lot of fans. That's okay, put the blinders on...but when it's all said and done next season and the Bills are 5-11 next season (plus or minus one game)...Just remember I told you so!

Please prove me wrong! Tell me that the Bills will re-sign any marquee players they develop at contract time! Tell me that they will get 9 starters our of this draft even though 4 picks are rounds 6 or 7! I think 3 starters would be very fortunate and that would just begin to fill a few of the many holes we have! Tell me that these coaches have sustained superior performance and we should blindly believe in them! Tell me that Tom Modrak won't make the same mistakes he's made with this organization the past 10 seasons when draft day comes! Tell me that the man with the Checkbook..yes R.W. will gladly pay 20, 30, 40, million dollars when we finally get a franchise QB instead of either trading down the pick or choosing

another position that is not so expensive! Tell me that T. Edwards won't be a walking coma and throw a poor pass that hits the ground short of the receiver or that he will finally be able to sense defensive pressure closing in before being sacked and then fumbling the ball!

If you can't convince your audience that you are posting to of some of these things, then just why are you trying to make us believe that the Bills are going to win 10 games this season!! A lot of what your saying sounds like yesterday's rubbish

and unless you can support some of what your saying with fact it's utterly a waste of time. Thanks for playing though :wallbash:

I love your optimism, and rather you were right than me with my gloomy diagnosis of the Bills organization and projected record for the upcoming season! There is no way that this team will be better than .500 this season and that's beyond reasonable as I think 4 or 5 wins is on the mark. Historically, if you look at how teams fare the season that they switch from the 4/3 defense to the 3/4 defense it is not pretty! I believe if I remember correctly that 4 or 5 wins is better than the average of a team that switches defense. Add that we have mostly new Management except for Tom Modrak, Russ Brandon and a couple of other behind the scenes people, a entirely new coaching staff that has little NFL experience. Yes, Chan Gailey has some, but not a momentus amount and he was only marginally successful. Most of their coaches come from the 2nd best College in Georgia...Georgia Tech...maybe not even 2nd? Then they hire Buddy Nix who is likeable but comes with no GM experience (Sounds like another Marv Levy...great guy, but out of his territorial waters)...You have to take into account the repetitious injuries that have plagued the Bills over the past several years. By God, they had 20 guys on injured reserve last season. That is beyond the norm...and hopefully this staff will get them in game shape.

I don't even think the Bills organization from what I understand is optimistic about a winning season year. I think one of the

people in management was interviewed and mentioned that it is going to take some time to right this ship? There are many holes on this team, which is like looking at a piece of swiss cheese! IMO Trent Edwards is not the right QB to lead the offense. Trent Edwards even at his best was lousy in every contest that the weather was not ideal! If it's raining, snowing, cold, foggy, on turf, away games, etc...Trent is a non-productive QB ! If it is a home game against Seattle, Oakland,

Detroit and it is 72 degrees and partly sunny and nobody is injured and it's early in the year then Trent Edwards is capable of throwing 2 touchdowns/1 interception for 215 yards !! But if it's anything but ideal forget it...and now that he has had

multiple concussions I think he plays scared. I don't like him as a player and don't see that he is improving at all. I see him regressing, lacking confidence, injury prone, lacking football intelligence even though he is book smart. I think if we start Trent this year it will quickly turn into another washed out season by week #8.

I think M. Lynch has a bad attitude and it has been discussed that a lot of his teamates are turned off by his condescending

attitude. I think he is bad for morale and for the city of Buffalo and if the Bills are as serious as you say about winning you should see him gone before the beginning of the season. That will be one indicator rather the Bills are heading in the right

direction or not to me.

Roscoe Parrish has made it clear that he wants to move on...and personally if a player doens't want to be here..I don't want him and neither should the coaches. The only way I see that changing is if the Bill's plan on starting him at WR.

I don't want that as I don't think he is a starter at the position but one heck of a special teams player and a good changeup.

If he remains here I'd be surprised, and maybe even disappointed. The Bills sure lack for WR's who can usually be drafted

in the early rounds.

Defensive end positions on this team are a mess! You got that guy I barely can remember hmmm...I'll get back to him..and you are probably losing A. Schobel to retirement, but even if he sticks for another year...He's done! Once your contemplating retirement your on your way out the door...except for Brett Favre...lol Aaron Maybe Maybin is a whole

segment..how disappointing is it when they draft players way undersized with the belief that they will grow into their frame in about 2 or three years...By the time he does he'll probably be just about gone...as the Bills rarely keep their players when come to fruitation~ And I am right about that...ie: London Fletcher, Jabari Greer, Nate Clements, Sam Cowhart, Antwoine Winfield, Pat Williaims,.....and many more...alot of talent that the Bills won't pay for.

So when the talent begins to peak, the Bills don't compete to keep a player. Instead N.O. gets Greer who is a good player!

Each time the Bills do this, they have another hole to fill...and if you get a FA stop gap player like Buddy Nix stated...then yes you fill the hole but not the talent void at a discount. You substitute quality with numbers which leads you to patching

holes each season instead of building and adding on to what you have. It's a sinking boat with a waterpump! Yes, your keeping up with the rising water, but your not making progress...Instead of being proactive the Bills are being reactive!!

Again, I just don't understand why you think the Bills are going to be 10-6 ??? Based on what....??? QB? No ....WR's ? NO...

RB's ? You have one! But when you need to get into the endzone and need a tough 3 yards on 3rd down..what always happens with the Bills? They attempt a FG !!! F. Jackson is more elusive than powerful ! Okay, based on LB's NO! Who

Pozinjury...Pozluzny..whatever, NYG's former player...can't even remember his name he's hidden so well? Nah...not LB'S no! DT's Nope! Holes across the line! Big weakness not worth arguing over that one.....Okay our O LINE? Hope E. WOODS

recovers that's a big if....Nobody as far as OLT that's going to protect the QB! Levitre may be okay...he's young has lots to learn yet...but overall NO! Looks like we're down to the kickers, special teams, and CB's when it comes to the strength of

this team. That is something to build on but we're a long way from the playoffs!

We lose a lot of close games...sure...but the better teams make more plays and win the close ones...Detroit lost several close games in their winless season! Nobody remembers that....and then they improved some and won 2 Games last season. So what, It's not a great leaugue but we're not nearly good enough to win 10 games. The Bills are in a major

rebuilding stage only you don't realize that and neither does a lot of fans. That's okay, put the blinders on...but when it's all said and done next season and the Bills are 5-11 next season (plus or minus one game)...Just remember I told you so!

Please prove me wrong! Tell me that the Bills will re-sign any marquee players they develop at contract time! Tell me that they will get 9 starters our of this draft even though 4 picks are rounds 6 or 7! I think 3 starters would be very fortunate and that would just begin to fill a few of the many holes we have! Tell me that these coaches have sustained superior performance and we should blindly believe in them! Tell me that Tom Modrak won't make the same mistakes he's made with this organization the past 10 seasons when draft day comes! Tell me that the man with the Checkbook..yes R.W. will gladly pay 20, 30, 40, million dollars when we finally get a franchise QB instead of either trading down the pick or choosing

another position that is not so expensive! Tell me that T. Edwards won't be a walking coma and throw a poor pass that hits the ground short of the receiver or that he will finally be able to sense defensive pressure closing in before being sacked and then fumbling the ball!

If you can't convince your audience that you are posting to of some of these things, then just why are you trying to make us believe that the Bills are going to win 10 games this season!! A lot of what your saying sounds like yesterday's rubbish

and unless you can support some of what your saying with fact it's utterly a waste of time. Thanks for playing though :wallbash:

Correction...WR's can be drafted in later rounds not early...Sorry...

I think we'll see a team with a direction, with an idendity starting to emerge. We'll see young guys getting a chance to gain experience. We'll see - probably - a lot of losses, but with every game we'll be able more and more to accurately say, "this is where we need to go to get better." Next offseason we use the draft and, maybe a few F.A.'s. This year is sacrificed to seeing what the youth can do. Next year will be putting it together. And then we'll have a couple of years of climbing, battling it out. There are more than a few teams that have "put it together" this way and still don't make the Super Bowl, year in and out.

One thing is certain: the Jets seemed poised to be a tough, tough team for years to come. New England looks like it's going to be on top for another few years, and Miami is a well coached, improving team. Today I wondered, are we going to try to become dominant enough to take these two powerhouses out (the Jets, the Patriots), or are we going to wait a few years for them to lose players and hopefully catch them on the decline? I'd rather try our damndest to meet them at the top.

Today I wondered, are we going to try to become dominant enough to take these two powerhouses out (the Jets, the Patriots), or are we going to wait a few years for them to lose players and hopefully catch them on the decline? I'd rather try our damndest to meet them at the top.

We beat the Jets once last year and lost by 6 or so in the second game. We lost 2 close games to the Patsies. We're not that far behind them. Often a team that loses the Conference championship is not near as good next year. Happens all the time.

We will have an advantage especially early in the year that no one will have any film on us. They won't be able to prepare for the same thing we've been doing the last 4 years.

I also don't think Coach Gailey will be sandbagging anything. He knows that in Buffalo you got 2 years, maybe 3 1/2. If you don't win by then, you're out on your a$$. That's been the case in the last 4 coaches we've had. I expect him to come out with both barrels blazing. He'll try to take advantage of the players we do have and out score the opponent, not keep it close and try to steal it at the end.

Also don't forget we had the best pass defense in the NFL last year or very close to it.

I'm thinking we should go at least 8-8. Stay healthy and have the ball bounce our way some and we could threaten for that last wild card spot, maybe even get it.

I love how you say if not for a few bad breaks the bills could be 10-6........The way i look at it, they could have easily been 5-11....sorry the bills werent very good last year.......and haven't made any real changes this offseason . and everyone else in the division has. Also please stop referring to the bills as "WE"!!!!!! This goes for everyone....Every fan in the world that says "WE" referring to the team they cheer for. Needs a reality check. Your just a fan........

First of all, I never said the Bills will win 10 games, I stated that they could. As for the talent pool people underestimate the ability of a lot of players on the team. Who knows how the young receivers are, they never get to play. Roscoe Parrish is a player who has been absolutely mismanaged as a receiver during his tenure here - Not saying he could be Wes Welker, but he could be Welker-esk (Welker effectively didn't do much in Miami and then when he went into Belicheck's* system, he became one of the best in the league). The line is beaten up, but 3/5 is there (Wood, Levitre, and Hangman), Bell still could be decent and Incognito (outside his attitude) is solid. Green could be a stop gap, but we need one more piece there. QB is the big hole. Defensively, let's see. The two FA pickups yesterday were solid.

As for us being able to go 10-6 last year with a couple of breaks, let me ask the following questions - What happens if McKelvin doesn't fumble the ball on opening night against the Pats*? How about Roscoe Parrish's 2 Fumbles? How about the countless number of third down passes that TO dropped? What if Ralph fired DJ when he should have and installed Fewell last season? Had the Bills beaten NE and Cleveland in the first half of the season and went 5-3 (both games they clearly should have won but blew), the back half of the season may have played out differently. I'm not a person who cares about woulda, coulda, shoulda, but my point is the team is good enough (not great, but good enough) to win. They just need the right management to do so.

Lets face facts, the Bills were a bad team under Dick Jauron and bad teams find ways to lose a game.

From his first year with the Bills the O line kept making mistakes game after game, he corrected that and another problem area would pop up. The guy never had a handle on the entire team. His defenses were always bad against the run, his offenses stunk because of the inexperience of the play callers and lousy game plans.

The fact that the Bills were in a ton of games and even won some tells me that they were decent and won despite the coaching. From what I saw the skill level on the field from the players was good enough to win, it was the coaching holding them back.

Look at how many average players that left the Bills went on to play pretty good elsewhere.

I feel bad for players like Lee Evans who saw the last four years of their career wasted because a moron like Jauron was in charge.

I feel bad for players like Lee Evans who saw the last four years of their career wasted because a moron like Jauron was in charge.

I can't feel bad for any of them. How much money did he make in those 4 years for 16 game seasons? If he wasn't playing football he'd probably be saying "paper or plastic". But instead he makes more in a year than most people will make in their lives! :doh:

Football is just a game after all.

I love how you say if not for a few bad breaks the bills could be 10-6........The way i look at it, they could have easily been 5-11....sorry the bills werent very good last year.......and haven't made any real changes this offseason . and everyone else in the division has. Also please stop referring to the bills as "WE"!!!!!! This goes for everyone....Every fan in the world that says "WE" referring to the team they cheer for. Needs a reality check. Your just a fan........

Did you really type that? So you're saying they "could have easily" lost ONE more game than they actually did? Way to put yourself out there.

Is being ahead, tied, or within one score in the 4th quarter in 14/16 games "not very good?" This is a league of inches, and Buffalo isn't the schittpile people make it out to be. I would argue the Bills were much closer to 10-6 than they were to 5-11. Think about it.

I can't feel bad for any of them. How much money did he make in those 4 years for 16 game seasons? If he wasn't playing football he'd probably be saying "paper or plastic". But instead he makes more in a year than most people will make in their lives! :doh:

Football is just a game after all.

Yea, but to a lot of players it is more then just a game. There are tons of players who would play pro football for very little money, for the love of the game.

Jerry Rice will be remembered forever as one of the greatest WR's to ever play the game. How great do you think he would be on on an 80's bad team like Tampa Bay-Detroit-Buffalo. Plus the life span of an average player is about 3 years, so even getting a SB ring is a rare event most would cherish the rest of their lives.

What you need to realize is that some players have life long dreams of going into the pro football hall of fame, you can't buy your way into there.

There is no reason we will be better. Addition through subtraciton with jouron - I think not. I did not like him, but some bounces and the team was 9-7... We simply lack the personel to compete.

Key word is, BUT. Over Juaron's 3.5 years with the team there were a lot of BUTS. Simply put Juaron was a poor excuse for an NFL Head Coach. He had little ability to make in game adjustments, but more importantly he was accepting of a losing culture. When you have a coach who can tolerate losing you're done and that's what we had under Juaron.