Applying the Buddy Nix Philosophy

Wizard

Buddy Nix,

Imagine how much better Buffalo would if Buffalo could get this reasonably priced free agents as well as legitimate shots to land in Buffalo. And, Buffalo would still have its Rounds 1-3 picks and its two 6th's and two 7th's.

Round #1

Bryan Bulaga (OT)

Round #2

Cam Thomas (NT)

Round #3

Best 3-4 linebacker available

Trade Round 4 & 5 Picks

• RFA Guard (Rob Sims) age 26 for 4th round draft pick ( a starting guard to man Wood's position until he's healthy and/or to allow Wood to eventually replace Hangartner at center)
  • RFA Quarterback (Troy Smith) age 26 for 5th round pick (better than Edwards and Fitzpatrick and a solid option to develop or serve as a placeholder until we get the right guy)

Free Agents with no compensation tags

• Red Hadnot, Guard 28 years old (solid depth or spot starter)
  • Kevin Mawae, Center 39 (great veteran a great tutor for Wood and o-line)
  • Derrick Burgess, DE/OLB in 3-4, 32 (solid starter with mid range price tag)
  • Dwan Edwards, DT/DE, 29 in 3-4 for Ravens (solid run stopper)
  • Jake Delhomme, QB, 35 (he's basically done but he would be good for Troy Smith or anyone we have as a #2, plus he can take the beating while we keep looking for QB)
  • Domenik Hixon, WR, age 25, Giants (played well and no compensation)
  • Kevin Walter, Texans, 29 (solid slot receiver with 51 catches in 09)

Rounds 6-7 Draft

With four (4) picks the Bills just need to build depth and hope that 1/4 of these guys turns into something worthy of a backup or average starter. I would get a WR, another OT, a DE, and another LB.

This is how you build through the draft and fill in spots with average talent without breaking the bank.

Get er done!

...[*]RFA Quarterback (Troy Smith) age 26 for 5th round pick (better than Edwards and Fitzpatrick and a solid option to develop or serve as a placeholder until we get the right guy)...

What exactly has Troy Smith done to make you think he would be any better then Edwards or Fitzpatrick, both of whom have had many more NFL starts then Smith has??

If the Ravens or whoever owns his rights are willing to give him up for a 5th round draft pick, he obviously sucks at least as much as our two we have now - er, I mean three we have now, counting Brohm!

Buddy Nix,

Imagine how much better Buffalo would if Buffalo could get this reasonably priced free agents as well as legitimate shots to land in Buffalo. And, Buffalo would still have its Rounds 1-3 picks and its two 6th's and two 7th's.

Round #1

Bryan Bulaga (OT)

Round #2

Cam Thomas (NT)

Round #3

Trade Round 4 & 5 Picks

• RFA Guard (Rob Sims) age 26 for 4th round draft pick ( a starting guard to man Wood's position until he's healthy and/or to allow Wood to eventually replace Hangartner at center)
  • RFA Quarterback (Troy Smith) age 26 for 5th round pick (better than Edwards and Fitzpatrick and a solid option to develop or serve as a placeholder until we get the right guy)

• Jake Delhomme, QB, 35 (he's basically done but he would be good for Troy Smith or anyone we have as a #2, plus he can take the beating while we keep looking for QB)

Rounds 6-7 Draft

With four (4) picks the Bills just need to build depth and hope that 1/4 of these guys turns into something worthy of a backup or average starter. I would get a WR, another OT, a DE, and another LB.

This is how you build through the draft and fill in spots with average talent without breaking the bank.

Get er done!

!@#$ NO!!!!! Delhomme is the worst QB in the league hands down.

What exactly has Troy Smith done to make you think he would be any better then Edwards or Fitzpatrick, both of whom have had many more NFL starts then Smith has??

If the Ravens or whoever owns his rights are willing to give him up for a 5th round draft pick, he obviously sucks at least as much as our two we have now - er, I mean three we have now, counting Brohm!

Umm, I think he won the Heisman.

Umm, I think he won the Heisman.

Smith won the 2006 Heisman Memorial Trophy on December 9, 2006.[12] He beat out sophomore RB Darren McFadden (2nd) from Arkansas and senior QB Brady Quinn (3rd), from Notre Dame.

In winning the 2006 Heisman Trophy, Smith took 86.7% of the first place votes, which is a record. His tally of 2,540 votes was the third largest behind that of the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, Reggie Bush of the University of Southern California (2,541 votes) and 1968 Heisman winner O.J. Simpson who also played for USC (2,853 votes). His margin of victory (1,662 votes) was also the second largest in the history of the award, eclipsed only by O.J. Simpson who won by 1,750 votes. Troy Smith joined Les Horvath (1944), Vic Janowicz (1950), Howard "Hopalong" Cassady (1955), Archie Griffin (1974 and 1975) and Eddie George (1995) in the elite Buckeye fraternity.

Not that this translates to the NFL, but you have to admit, this pretty damn impressive. The guy never really got his chance in the NFL because of an injury and because the Raven's decided to stick with their current QB even after Smith got healthy again.

Buddy Nix,

Round #1

Bryan Bulaga (OT)

Round #2

Cam Thomas (NT)

Round #3

Trade Round 4 & 5 Picks

Rounds 6-7 Draft

Get er done!

Not bad, I would like to see the Bills trade down from 9 and generate additional draft picks. I would love to see an additional 2nd rounder.

Not bad, I would like to see the Bills trade down from 9 and generate additional draft picks. I would love to see an additional 2nd rounder.

Let's not get too cute with the draft. Take the best OT you can get at nine (unless there is a franchise qb on the board) and prepare for the second round. The second round is another critical pick because you should be able to get a player who can contribute his first year, unlike Maybin.

One of the main reasons that teams build with the draft is because it's cheaper. Once you get to about the 3rd round, those guys make very little and they get hooked in for four years or so.

So your trading draft picks for FAs is going to cost the team quite a bit more than just drafting would have. That's the problem I see with this scenario.