Give Trent Edwards a chance

Nasty

At this point I like Fitz over Trent.....

Fitz has some balls at least to throw it downfield, something that Trent for some reason does not do on the regular.

yep, I think no matter what they do w/ QB- draft, FA, Brohm/Edwards resurrection, whatever- Fitz is the #2 guy. keep him for that. he's a known.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there really is a concerted effort going on by the front office to reduce payroll, I don't see any reason to get rid of Edwards before he has a chance to earn the starting job in training camp. Early on, Edwards showed that he had the ability to play very well. At this point I have basically no faith that he's going to be able to get his mojo back, but I don't see any reason to deny him the opportunity.

I'm with you guys. One last shot with a very short leash.

Trent Edwards is a guy that complained about being cold and damp after a loss to Cleveland. He's a guy that decided to leave Buffalo and hit the golf course full time after being given the keys to starting spot after only his second season. He's a guy who has never had a good game in inclement weather. He had his shot to be a leader and he blew it due to lack of dedication (love of the game?) and lack of ability.

Fitz deserves to stay here and be given a chance over Edwards because at least the guy proved he could thrive in bad weather and he's shown leadership and a passion for the game.

Guest dog14787
Trent Edwards is a guy that complained about being cold and damp after a loss to Cleveland. He's a guy that decided to leave Buffalo and hit the golf course full time after being given the keys to starting spot after only his second season. He's a guy who has never had a good game in inclement weather. He had his shot to be a leader and he blew it due to lack of dedication (love of the game?) and lack of ability.

Fitz deserves to stay here and be given a chance over Edwards because at least the guy proved he could thrive in bad weather and he's shown leadership and a passion for the game.

Funny, I never heard a mention of TE's lack of leadership before TO came to Buffalo,

Even funnier how that works (If your the Bills opposition that is)

Funny, I never heard a mention of TE's lack of leadership before TO came to Buffalo,

Even funnier how that works (If your the Bills opposition that is)

I was screaming here about his lack of leadership when he hit the gold course that offseason. I remember there were a lot of fans laughing about that even being an issue. I was shocked that a second year player, third round draft choice would choose to act like a ten year vet with multiple playoff appearances under his belt. I was angry about it. I would bet it's hard to find anyone here who would still feel his taking off and kicking back that offseason was fine and dandy and very leader-like of him.

First time post here. I personnally liked TE as our quarterback. Better then Fitzpatrick. Better then Losman. Better then anyone we can get in a draft this year. Our problem is just keeping him upright to make the throw. His accuracy is good and when he did have time to throw over the middle and down field he wasn't affraid. For instance during the Redskins game two years ago at the end of the game when he needed to make a throw downfield and had time he was money. Another example was the Jacksonville game when he had another fourth quarter game winning drive at the end. He is a good quarter back to me just not coached properly and no line. He was loved in 08 until the Cardnials game where he had his first concussion. That to me is when he got scared. Then he went through the hole training camp last year to have his coordinator dumped right before the season and had a new OC. If he had any consistant coaching he would be a stud now. For that matter I think Losman would have panned out to if it wasn't for sorry coaching. With Loseman they tried to make him a pocket quarterback. To me he should have used his legs more. But I still like Edwards better. We really need to concentrate on our lines Offensive and Defensive this year. Go Bills!!

I agree with alot of what you said, Edwards is better than Losman and so much better than Fitzpatrick that it isn't even comparable. He probably isn't the answer, but if Gailey is the Magic Man with QBs like alot of people on this board claim he is, anything is possible I suppose. You are though, being your first post, setting yourself up in front of a firing squad, as people like to criticize other people's opinions on here with reckless stupidity. There is a very good chance, probably at least 50-50 that TE is going to get another chance, and if he does succeed with Gailey's help, 99.8% of the people on this board that slam Edwards, want him out of town and say he sucks, will forget they ever said any of that stuff and will act like life long fans of his. Alot of predictable people on this forum.

Edwards also spent the entire last off season in Buffalo to work on his game too (not sure it helped, just making a point). Any team that goes into the season with Fitz as the starter is satisfied with 5 or less wins a year, guaranteed. He will never be a quality NFL starter, no chance what so ever.

Welcome to the board.

Your first post is somewhat akin to standing on a rooftop during a thunderstorm and holding up a ten foot stick of copper pipe. Good luck with that.

Forgetting the subject for the moment, this has to be one of the funniest and yet gentle comments around.

LOL

I agree with alot of what you said, Edwards is better than Losman and so much better than Fitzpatrick that it isn't even comparable. He probably isn't the answer, but if Gailey is the Magic Man with QBs like alot of people on this board claim he is, anything is possible I suppose. You are though, being your first post, setting yourself up in front of a firing squad, as people like to criticize other people's opinions on here with reckless stupidity. There is a very good chance, probably at least 50-50 that TE is going to get another chance, and if he does succeed with Gailey's help, 99.8% of the people on this board that slam Edwards, want him out of town and say he sucks, will forget they ever said any of that stuff and will act like life long fans of his. Alot of predictable people on this forum.

<_<:P:wallbash::lol:

You both need to step away from that crack pipe. Edwards is the very definition of a pantywaist. Both Fitzy and Losman are better QBs than Trent. Heck, some of the Jills are probably better than that him.

Edwards also spent the entire last off season in Buffalo to work on his game too (not sure it helped, just making a point). Any team that goes into the season with Fitz as the starter is satisfied with 5 or less wins a year, guaranteed. He will never be a quality NFL starter, no chance what so ever.

That was a year too late. This second year player had just been given the starting QB job and he leaves Buffalo to go golfing for three months???? Sorry, but you can't undo first impressions. You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. The guy clearly is not dedicated to the game of football. I don't even think he likes playing it. As a QB, you're either all in or you're all out. Exceptions can be made to veteran players who have proven their mettle. Not to snotty-nosed primadonas who complain on camera about being cold and damp after a loss. That was my "he jumped the shark" moment with Trent.

One of the most overlooked statistics is sacks taken by the quarterback. Some are better at avoiding them, and TE isn't one of those. It was why Rob Johnson couldn't win, and it will likely be Edwards' achilles heel throughout his career.

I agree. Who was better at avoiding sacks with the same team/line, Flutie or Johnson and who had better success? Flutie obviously.

Who had better success with the 2009 team/line? In 8 games played in 2009, Trent had 23 sacks. In 10 games played in 2009, Fitz had 21 sacks.

My biggest fear of giving TE another chance, is that he would do like he did in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Come out of the shoot fast only to fade and then get injured.

Enough is enough.

I will say that Edwards got worse and worse as his career progressed. But Im fairly certain his coaching was well below NFL standards too.

Now Im not saying I want to rely on him for the next ten years, or that I am opposed to bringing in a new QB, but I think not giving him a chance to win the job this season would be a mistake. He had great games vrs the chargers and Raiders bringing us back to win in the 4th. He even played very well vrs the Pats in the season opener on Monday night.

He has played great at times and maybe a competent coaching staff can prepare him to play in the NFL? Lets not forget they never practiced against a 3-4 defense. Not even Brees/Manning/Brady could succeed with that poor of preparation. Lets not forget the switch just flipped with Brees, after the Chargers drafted Rivers....

Dont hand him the job but see if he can turn it around with a new - hopefully better - coaching staff. There is NOTHING to gain from cutting him

I will say that Edwards got worse and worse as his career progressed. But Im fairly certain his coaching was well below NFL standards too.

Now Im not saying I want to rely on him for the next ten years, or that I am opposed to bringing in a new QB, but I think not giving him a chance to win the job this season would be a mistake. He had great games vrs the chargers and Raiders bringing us back to win in the 4th. He even played very well vrs the Pats in the season opener on Monday night.

He has played great at times and maybe a competent coaching staff can prepare him to play in the NFL? Lets not forget they never practiced against a 3-4 defense. Not even Brees/Manning/Brady could succeed with that poor of preparation. Lets not forget the switch just flipped with Brees, after the Chargers drafted Rivers....

Dont hand him the job but see if he can turn it around with a new - hopefully better - coaching staff. There is NOTHING to gain from cutting him

How do you "coach" a guy who has gotten injured virtually every year since college to stop getting injured. Relying on an injury prone QB is a certain road to disaster. Nothing is gained by having a guy play 3 or 4 good games a year & then going out with an injury.

Guest dog14787
How do you "coach" a guy who has gotten injured virtually every year since college to stop getting injured. Relying on an injury prone QB is a certain road to disaster. Nothing is gained by having a guy play 3 or 4 good games a year & then going out with an injury.

So what your saying is if we slam down Jim Kelly as hard as TE was slammed down on his concussions, Jim Kelly doesn't get a concussion?

How about protecting the QB properly before you blame him for someone else's mistakes.

Don't forget, too, that last season they cut his LT, moved his RT to LT, put two rookies at guard and a journeyman at center, then cut the new LT and fired the OC just after the end of preseason.

Regardless of what one thinks of Edwards (and I think he's done), the incompetence of the staff cannot be overstated.