Aaron Maybin

Billsfan=pain

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think he has the skill set to be an effective edge rusher of note in the NFL. He got by at the college level, which is a lot easier. I'd like to see if he can make similar adjustments to what Farrior made witht he Jets, moving to ILB in a 3-4 scheme. He has the athleticism to do it, but we don't know about his instincts yet.

It may be his best shot at sticking in the NFL.

In the 3-4 Defense there are typically two outside linebackers and two inside linebackers. The weak side inside linebacker is typically called the "Will," while the strong side or middle inside linebacker is called the "Mike". "Sam" is the strong outside linebacker, and "Jack" and is like a hybrid DE/LB. I assume this is where Maybin would fit in.

Poz and Mitchell would likely play inside, and I think they'll put Maybin on the weakside, where they don't always have to face the big interior linemen one on one (unless one is pulling or they have some exotic blocking scheme) So far the only thing we know about Maybin is that he struggles with the 300 pounders and would play better in space.

(We also know that he'll hold out for money to the detriment of the team and his career and try to blame his agent, but that's another post.)

In coverage, which Maybin has virtually no experience at, he would cover the running back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, and they also cover the flat in zone coverage. You need a fast guy that can run, rush the passer, and cover, which means they should be working with him TODAY on that stuff because he's so inexperienced in coverage especially and they know the 3-4 is coming to Buffalo.

Usually, teams that run a 3-4 defense look for college defensive ends that are too small to play the position in the pros and not quite fluid enough to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense as their "Jack" linebacker. I learned that from the Coach's playbook they were giving away when he was on 550am in the good ole days.

The idea behind the 3-4 Defense is to disguise where the fourth rusher will come from. Instead of the standard four down-linemen in the 4-3, only 3 players are clearly attacking on nearly every play.

3-4 needs three large defensive linemen who command constant double teams especially the Nose Tackle. The focus of the 3-4 defensive line is simply to occupy offensive linemen and dont get pushed back. We have Kyle and Stroud for that, but I'd be adding 20 pounds to Spencer this offseason and looking for a 340 true Nose Tackle in the draft on day one somewhere.

The bottom line is that next year is going to be Maybin's REAL rookie year, first time in camp, first time with the 3-4 learning a new system. I hope he makes so many tackles he'll be too tired to celebrate like an idiot on mediocre plays as he does now.

I bust on him but I am really pushing for the kid. He could be a great Bill.

In the 3-4 Defense there are typically two outside linebackers and two inside linebackers. The weak side inside linebacker is typically called the "Will," while the strong side or middle inside linebacker is called the "Mike". "Sam" is the strong outside linebacker, and "Jack" and is like a hybrid DE/LB. I assume this is where Maybin would fit in.

Poz and Mitchell would likely play inside, and I think they'll put Maybin on the weakside, where they don't always have to face the big interior linemen one on one (unless one is pulling or they have some exotic blocking scheme) So far the only thing we know about Maybin is that he struggles with the 300 pounders and would play better in space.

(We also know that he'll hold out for money to the detriment of the team and his career and try to blame his agent, but that's another post.)

In coverage, which Maybin has virtually no experience at, he would cover the running back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, and they also cover the flat in zone coverage. You need a fast guy that can run, rush the passer, and cover, which means they should be working with him TODAY on that stuff because he's so inexperienced in coverage especially and they know the 3-4 is coming to Buffalo.

Usually, teams that run a 3-4 defense look for college defensive ends that are too small to play the position in the pros and not quite fluid enough to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense as their "Jack" linebacker. I learned that from the Coach's playbook they were giving away when he was on 550am in the good ole days.

The idea behind the 3-4 Defense is to disguise where the fourth rusher will come from. Instead of the standard four down-linemen in the 4-3, only 3 players are clearly attacking on nearly every play.

3-4 needs three large defensive linemen who command constant double teams especially the Nose Tackle. The focus of the 3-4 defensive line is simply to occupy offensive linemen and dont get pushed back. We have Kyle and Stroud for that, but I'd be adding 20 pounds to Spencer this offseason and looking for a 340 true Nose Tackle in the draft on day one somewhere.

The bottom line is that next year is going to be Maybin's REAL rookie year, first time in camp, first time with the 3-4 learning a new system. I hope he makes so many tackles he'll be too tired to celebrate like an idiot on mediocre plays as he does now.

Excellent post!! I agree, I bust on Maybin hard as well, but hopefully he can turn it around and have similar success as Elvis Dumervil did this past year.

I don't know what exactly Maybin took to gain mass quick and lose it just as quickly, but lets hope our new strength and conditioning coordinators will help build up his body the right way.

and you know this because...?

In AM's college career, he never had to drop in pass coverage and because of his holdout, the Bills never got a chance to train him how to cover receivers out of the backfield or short passes over the middle. Give him the chance to learn the OLB position with a full offseason and good coaching before you make statements like that.

WRONG! The Bills worked him out at OLB when Ellison went down. He couldn't handle dropping into coverage for his third of the field, not even for screens. He couldn't shed blockers either so they had to go with Scott at OLB.

Before you "make statements like that" learn the facts.

MAYBINS A BUST!

Don't forget that the Bills worked him out at OLB last year when Ellison went down. He couldn't shed guards or centers either. He couldn't drop or cover screens. He is a bust for a number #11 pick. We could have picked up a fourth rounder to play OLB in a 3-4. BUUUSSSTTTTTTT

How did he put on muscle so fast and then lose it when he came to the NFL?

As I have said before, creatine and water weight.

Creatine causes the body to store more water in the muscles, that extra water makes one weight more. If/when they get dehydrated, they can easily lose 10 LBs over night. Its a hell of a lot easier to lose that weight than to gain it.

So why is it so hard to fathom than Maybin gained 25 lbs from Jan 1 (end of Penn Sts season) to the end of Feb (Combine), only to lose 25 lbs from the end of Feb(Combine) til July(Training camp). less than 2 months to gain 25 lbs,. and over 4 months to lose 25 lbs. Its not hard to comprehend.

PS A gallon of water weighs 8.35 lbs.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_on..._of_water_weigh

It is common practice at body building completions for the competitors to guzzle down a gallon of water to make them weigh more at weigh in. This is because when they calculate body fat %, the higher the weight of the person, the lower the % if the body fat remains constant - and because drinking water does not affect how much body fat you have, it alters the calculation. I am 10000000% confident that the guys trying to add lbs for the combine practice this same trick, only to sprint to the urinal after they get off the scale. My guess is after Maybin drained the lizard he was already back down to 240sih.

Honestly, I think people are too harsh on Maybin. Sure he may have been a dick by holding out so long and missing training camp but seriously he was (I think) the youngest kid in the draft last year. He still has a lot of growing up to do, which hopefully he will start to do this season.

People have a problem with him celebrating because he has accomplished nothing, but I see a kid who is excited to be getting his chance and contributing. And I agree with a previous poster saying that this will be his real rookie year. Not only will this be his first time in training camp, but he will almost definitely be switching to a new position. He is going to need the help from the new staff and it will take time so people need to be patient. If every single NFL player that didn't live up to expectations their first year was declared a bust then the NFL would be full of them. Hell, according to that line of thought, Peyton would have been driven out of Indianapolis.

I say that we give him another year to grow and learn and see how things go. I am not saying he will be phenomenal or anything but I am reserving my judgement on him until after this season.

As I have said before, creatine and water weight.

Creatine causes the body to store more water in the muscles, that extra water makes one weight more. If/when they get dehydrated, they can easily lose 10 LBs over night. Its a hell of a lot easier to lose that weight than to gain it.

So why is it so hard to fathom than Maybin gained 25 lbs from Jan 1 (end of Penn Sts season) to the end of Feb (Combine), only to lose 25 lbs from the end of Feb(Combine) til July(Training camp). less than 2 months to gain 25 lbs,. and over 4 months to lose 25 lbs. Its not hard to comprehend.

PS A gallon of water weighs 8.35 lbs.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_on..._of_water_weigh

It is common practice at body building completions for the competitors to guzzle down a gallon of water to make them weigh more at weigh in. This is because when they calculate body fat %, the higher the weight of the person, the lower the % if the body fat remains constant - and because drinking water does not affect how much body fat you have, it alters the calculation. I am 10000000% confident that the guys trying to add lbs for the combine practice this same trick, only to sprint to the urinal after they get off the scale. My guess is after Maybin drained the lizard he was already back down to 240sih.

So this all creatinine and water weight?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%26tbs%3Disch:1

His attitude makes me dislike him. He believes he is Ray Lewis!

yeah, god i hate players who think theyre good. i prefer dudes who mope around on the field, thinking theyre terrible. i understand people dislike maybin, and he didnt produce in his first season, but from the day we drafted him, it was said he was a project that would be ready 2-3 years down the line. i wouldnt have taken schobel off the field this season for maybin, and then where does he go? hes not a run stuffing LDE. he would get eaten alive but the much larger RTs in the league. anyways, well see what happens with him the next few years.

i understand people dislike maybin, and he didnt produce in his first season, but from the day we drafted him, it was said he was a project that would be ready 2-3 years down the line.

I don't dislike Maybin. I dislike the morons who drafted a 3 year 'project' at #11 when there was all kinds of top talent available.

WRONG! The Bills worked him out at OLB when Ellison went down. He couldn't handle dropping into coverage for his third of the field, not even for screens. He couldn't shed blockers either so they had to go with Scott at OLB.

MAYBINS A BUST!

Read my quote!

In AM's college career, he never had to drop in pass coverage and because of his holdout, the Bills never got a chance to train him how to cover receivers out of the backfield or short passes over the middle. Give him the chance to learn the OLB position with a full offseason and good coaching before you make statements like that.

The fact that they worked him out doesn't change the original statement. Maybin hasn't had the opportunity yet, as in a full offseason, to learn how to drop into pass coverage and play in space. <_<

MAYBINS A BUST!

Im sorry I dont see where you are proven right here.....

- He had been working exclusively as a DE

- He was late into training camp his first year.....very late

- He was not asked to do it in college

- The 3-4 assignments for a rush linebacker are differnet then the ones for a 4-3

All we know at this point is he is very athletic and can get after a passer........he was a underclassman and as raw as they come when he was drafted

If he is going to succeed in any nfl defense this would be the one

Honestly, I think people are too harsh on Maybin. Sure he may have been a dick by holding out so long and missing training camp but seriously he was (I think) the youngest kid in the draft last year. He still has a lot of growing up to do, which hopefully he will start to do this season.

People have a problem with him celebrating because he has accomplished nothing, but I see a kid who is excited to be getting his chance and contributing. And I agree with a previous poster saying that this will be his real rookie year. Not only will this be his first time in training camp, but he will almost definitely be switching to a new position. He is going to need the help from the new staff and it will take time so people need to be patient. If every single NFL player that didn't live up to expectations their first year was declared a bust then the NFL would be full of them. Hell, according to that line of thought, Peyton would have been driven out of Indianapolis.

I say that we give him another year to grow and learn and see how things go. I am not saying he will be phenomenal or anything but I am reserving my judgement on him until after this season.

Do you think he juiced?