Aaron Schobel

Bills#23Iowa

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is too old, slow, and overweight to play as an OLB in a 3-4. Sure if he lost 20+lbs, and 3 years, and never had nagging injuries he might be a good fit. Its too late in the game for him to learn a new scheme and be productive. He would be a stopgap and thats about it.

If he was trying to get traded to a Texas team so he could be closer to his family, Id say good luck with that. Im sure every other team thinks the same about Schobel. Old, and slow.

You do know that he weighs less than 250 don't you?

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports that the Bills are scheduled to pay Aaron Schobel a $2 million roster bonus "around" March 9.

Ideally, Schobel will inform the team whether he's going to retire or keep playing before that date. Schobel would be a terrific fit as an outside linebacker in Buffalo's new 3-4 scheme, so the team is likely hoping he won't hang 'em up. Otherwise, the Bills will have yet another need area.

We should hear something soon.

Hopefully he sticks it out for a couple more years to see what this new regime brings. We already have too many major holes to lose one of our best 2 or 3 players, would be another major hole to fill.

He is too old, slow, and overweight to play as an OLB in a 3-4. Sure if he lost 20+lbs, and 3 years, and never had nagging injuries he might be a good fit. Its too late in the game for him to learn a new scheme and be productive. He would be a stopgap and thats about it.

If he was trying to get traded to a Texas team so he could be closer to his family, Id say good luck with that. Im sure every other team thinks the same about Schobel. Old, and slow.

Old and slow? Only 5 defensive ends had more sacks than Schobel last year.

Are you clueless or what? Schobel overweight? If anything he has been underweight for DE, and has excelled with hard work. Nagging injuries? Please, he had a broken foot in 2008 and tried to play on that, other than that he has played in 16 games every other year of his career. Might help if you research a little before voicing your opinion, might take less of a beating-open mouth, insert foot.

My inside source (seriously) tells me that he's angling to play for a Texas team to be closer to his family, not retire.

I don't think anyone will give up a decent draft pick for him. No good reason to release him so that he can just sign anywhere else. I think we just hang onto him and either force him to retire or he may well suck it up and come back for one more year rather than just retire and leave so much money on the table.

I understand the guy misses his family but dont most players have their family living with them in the city they are playing in?

Maybe if they play in Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, etc. Wives from Texas don't normally enjoy living in tropical paradises like Buffalo.

One of the reasons I would trade him is because he's had to put up with being a Buffalo Bill for ten stinkin years. By the time we are good again, Schobel will no longer have double digit sack ability. Send him to a team where he at least has a chance at a winning season. He deserves it.

The weird thing is, I agree with this, in a way.

Look, I know he's under contract and I know the Bills pay him more than good money and teams don't owe their players anything more than that...other than respect.

I think after ten years of commitment to an organization you have the right to go to them and say, "Thank you for everything. However, it has been 10 years and i have never made the playoffs and it doesn't look likely that I am going to make it there anytime soon. I am closer now to the end then I am to the beginning. Please can I go closer to home and take a shot at the playoffs for what might be the last time in my career?"

EDIT: The Sabres were classy enough to do it with Mike Ramsay (if memory serves me, in sending him to Pittsburgh) and although the Bills offered it to Joe D. in 1985, his tears were classy enough in letting the Bills, and us know, "thank you, but I started as Buffalo Bill and I am going to finish as a Buffalo Bill."

Maybe if they play in Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, etc. Wives from Texas don't normally enjoy living in tropical paradises like Buffalo.

I guess, but Wives from Texas' husbands don't typically make $8 million a year. If it is merely a weather thing and there aren't unknown circumstances its pretty dumb in my opinion.

The weird thing is, I agree with this, in a way.

Look, I know he's under contract and I know the Bills pay him more than good money and teams don't owe their players anything more than that...other than respect.

I think after ten years of commitment to an organization you have the right to go to them and say, "Thank you for everything. However, it has been 10 years and i have never made the playoffs and it doesn't look likely that I am going to make it there anytime soon. I am closer now to the end then I am to the beginning. Please can I go closer to home and take a shot at the playoffs for what might be the last time in my career?"

EDIT: The Sabres were classy enough to do it with Mike Ramsay (if memory serves me, in sending him to Pittsburgh) and although the Bills offered it to Joe D. in 1985, his tears were classy enough in letting the Bills, and us know, "thank you, but I started as Buffalo Bill and I am going to finish as a Buffalo Bill."

If memory serves, we also accommodated Chris Spielman so that he could play for the Browns.

Given the two options, I would prefer a draft pick to a retirement. That said, how much would the Texans or Boys pony up for Aaron?

If memory serves, we also accommodated Chris Spielman so that he could play for the Browns.

Given the two options, I would prefer a draft pick to a retirement. That said, how much would the Texans or Boys pony up for Aaron?

We also accomodated O.J. to the 49ers. I don't think you will get enough for Schobel to compensate for the gaping hole it would leave. I would tell him "You have been a great teammate, but if you want to win, you will have to do it here." To that he might say "You have been telling me that for a decade, now get a decent team around me for a change!"

I don't think anyone will give up a decent draft pick for him. No good reason to release him so that he can just sign anywhere else. I think we just hang onto him and either force him to retire or he may well suck it up and come back for one more year rather than just retire and leave so much money on the table.

Agreed. From the way it sounded, AS won't leave a dime on the table. So, perhaps he's using the retirement angle to work a trade to the Texans, even if it's for a late pick.

He can play outside linebacker. He has young kids and doesn't think it's good for them moving all the time. He also doesn't want to leave them at his home while he is in buffalo 9 months of the year. Kids need their father. I can understand that.

He put in some good years with Buffalo. If he retires or requests a trade i am good with that.

Actually if he lost 20 pounds he would be too small remember we are talking 3-4 OLB. I hope given all the topics we have had on the 3-4 everyone is clear on the system. Apparently not.

For some reason nobody seems to think so, but OLB's in a 3-4 have to do more than just rush the passer. You can't just take any 4-3 defensive end and throw them in at OLB.

They play zone coverage at times and he has done this in the past. Why do suppose they call it a 3-4 rush LB. That is their primary function. If you read my post you will see that I already stated that he can cover maybe we should have Mckelvin play OLB. you do not need a shut down corner at OLB.

Yeah, Aaron Kampman is a very similar player to Schobel and he struggled mightily with the switch. Move AS if you can.

Schobel is smaller and faster and has better stats in every catagory especialy in pass defense statistics PDs, INTs, SKs.

Nice try though.