Peter King MMQB today

ACor58

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin should never have been a first round pick, ONLY Buffalo's old staff goes and pulls that stupid ****. Well we are stuck with his overpaid, holdout ass now. We better hope this new DC can make him a decent pass rushing OLB.

Maybin was a first rounder on every Mock draft. Given him time. Let him play in the 3-4 as an OLB.

Makes no sense. If it was Nix, how would King assume his readers would "all say....whoa...we respect him" when i would guess at least 90% of his readers have never heard of Buddy Nix?

Exactly, it's not Nix, clearly, but who cares? The point is whether or not Nix feels the same way, and it's most likely he does, since the Bills have always said this, and since Nix is old school.

Just when I thoguht your posts couldn't get any dumber. :D Every single mock (for whatever they are worth) had Maybin going in the top half of the 1st. You're jsut making yourself look foolish with posts like these.

There are elements in this post which are untrue. I looked up a few mocks to see where they had Maybin pegged. The Walter Football mock had Maybin going 18th overall. (Depressingly enough, it also had the Bills taking Oher.) FWIW, KD's mock draft also had Maybin going 18th overall to Denver. The Draft King mock draft had Maybin going 10th overall to San Francisco. He was also taken 10th overall in Mel Kiper's mock draft. The next mock draft I found through my Google search had Maybin falling to #23 overall, where he was taken by the Patriots. Depressingly enough, that draft also had the Bills taking Oher!! :angry: The following draft had Maybin at #12--one pick after the Bills--which it felt would take Oher! :angry: Maybe we should put these mock draft people in charge of our front office! (Just kidding, Buddy is better than them, even if Brandon wasn't.) The Total Pro Sports draft had Maybin at #25, where he was taken by the Dolphins.

The above paragraph represents the first mocks that appeared in my Google search, and I did not attempt to weed out mocks based on any other factors. Based on those mocks, it's safe to say that Maybin did not--in the eyes of the mock draft people, at least--represent a Donte Whitner-style reach. But neither is it the case that Maybin was universally seen as top-half-of-the-first material (though most mock drafts had him in the top 18).

Wrong! Maybin was a 1st rounder, and in some cases a high first rounder, on many teams' boards. And it's still too early to call him a bust, although last year didn't help in that regard.

and you have insider insights to all of these team's draft boards how?

the only team that we know for sure had him graded as a top 10 player was the Bills.

Nix said he wouldn't have picked a one-year wonder. That sounds like he's calling-out Maybin. And Modrak stated that he wanted Cushing. So from WHERE do you get that "Tom Modrak and Buddy Nix made the point that Maybin was their choice as a first round pick?" Nix was just the Bills' national scout last year and had NO pull within the organization. Modrak obviously did, but really wanted Cushing, and the Bills went with Maybin. So who do you think really made the call?

Why? Would any of those players have meant the difference between the Bills making the playoffs or not this past season? They didn't help the Redskins or Seahawks, while it's arguable that Matthews and Oher weren't critical to the Packers and Ravens, respectively, making the playoffs. Will those players continue to improve or at least stay the same, while Maybin continues to falter? I don't know, I'd like to see more than just 1 year of playing time for those guys before I pass final judgement.

always a fun time to discuss draft picks of the Bills

no one ever responsible for the duds

not the top national scout

not the head of college scouting

must have been Chuck Lester filling out the draft card without the knowledge of OBD

- but only for the busts

I guess these guys have no pull regarding the draft when they spend no time in Buffalo to make their comments known. Tennessee and Florida must not have good phone lines.

There are times when the combine does make a different 1. players who are very productive in college but the scouts think they are too slow,light,short, etc etc then they go to the combine and measure better than the scouts think. 2. The productive college player who has a really bad performance ie a WR running a 4.8, a LB who's listed as 6,3 245 but turns out 6,1 225.

It's not Nix. But apparently the unknown "club architect" to whom King is referring (now, since "his team had changed its way of doing business in the scouting realm this year") thinks the way Nix does.

How do you know that it is not Nix.

There are elements in this post which are untrue. I looked up a few mocks to see where they had Maybin pegged. The Walter Football mock had Maybin going 18th overall. (Depressingly enough, it also had the Bills taking Oher.) FWIW, KD's mock draft also had Maybin going 18th overall to Denver. The Draft King mock draft had Maybin going 10th overall to San Francisco. He was also taken 10th overall in Mel Kiper's mock draft. The next mock draft I found through my Google search had Maybin falling to #23 overall, where he was taken by the Patriots. Depressingly enough, that draft also had the Bills taking Oher!! :rolleyes: The following draft had Maybin at #12--one pick after the Bills--which it felt would take Oher! :angry: Maybe we should put these mock draft people in charge of our front office! (Just kidding, Buddy is better than them, even if Brandon wasn't.) The Total Pro Sports draft had Maybin at #25, where he was taken by the Dolphins.

The above paragraph represents the first mocks that appeared in my Google search, and I did not attempt to weed out mocks based on any other factors. Based on those mocks, it's safe to say that Maybin did not--in the eyes of the mock draft people, at least--represent a Donte Whitner-style reach. But neither is it the case that Maybin was universally seen as top-half-of-the-first material (though most mock drafts had him in the top 18).

FWIW, Mayock had Maybin as his 4th best 3-4 OLB. Being ranked 4th best, and limited in scheme, one would think that would screw his draft status. I still dont think any NFL team would have taken him over Connor Barwins/Michael Johnson. Both of whom went in the third, but thats beside the point...

Back to the OP. If what that exec said is true, his team will most likely be drafting Brandon Graham. A great football player who wont measure up well that the combine.

and you have insider insights to all of these team's draft boards how?

the only team that we know for sure had him graded as a top 10 player was the Bills.

always a fun time to discuss draft picks of the Bills

no one ever responsible for the duds

not the top national scout

not the head of college scouting

must have been Chuck Lester filling out the draft card without the knowledge of OBD

- but only for the busts

I guess these guys have no pull regarding the draft when they spend no time in Buffalo to make their comments known. Tennessee and Florida must not have good phone lines.

The draft experts had him rated a 1st rounder, and they talk extensively with teams about players, and are usually spot-on with their rankings. And I must have missed where Maybin was proven to be a bust, not that Nix, the new GM and guy who will call the shots, had any say in drafting him.

How do you know that it is not Nix.

King basically said that the guy is well-known. Nix is not well known.

It's 100% true. It's amazing how guys rise and fall without playing a game. If you are sold on a player, the combine shouldn't change your opinion that much one way or the other. Last time I checked, football wasn't played in shorts.

Exactly. What always gets me is the reaction to supposed negative stats. A player, say a LB, is thought of highly and has proven to be an excellent college player but they measure his height at the combine and it's say 6 feet even and the evaluators say "Whoa, wait a minute, he's kind of short to play LB in the NFL."

I wish we could have those evaluations to look back on 10 years later when a player like London Fletcher or Sam Mills has had a great NFL career without meeting the prototypical physical stats.

It's "can they make plays" !!

King basically said that the guy is well-known. Nix is not well known.

Maybe to you and most fans but in football circles, where Peter King gets his info, Buddy Nix is very well known and has been around for a very long time.

Maybe to you and most fans but in football circles, where Peter King gets his info, Buddy Nix is very well known and has been around for a very long time.

Not to me; I've known who Nix is since his Bills days. His MMQB is directed to average NFL fan.