a serious retrospect of being a BILLS FAN

rocwocka

i have long been a Bills fan in an area of NY that boasts mostly annoying, non-informed Giants and Jets fans. This is part of my being, i think - you know, dealing with the adversity of being a fan of a long time loser, in the pit of fair-weathered fans. Jim Kelly always reminded us of the "resilience" of our Buffalo Bills, and that has always stuck with me. i do not think i would be a better man if we had won the big one, even once... i do believe that i probably wouldn't be able to appreciate my team as much... strange? i think we as Bills fan share a common thread of rooting for the under dog, full well knowing that our hearts were only going to get torn out at some point. in living in westchester, ny (about 20 minutes from Yankee Stadium, where i bartend) i went through a period, a couple seasons ago, where our team came out hot (4-0). every winning week going into the books, i would start getting more comments from the usual haters along the lines of "man, you know, i've always liked those Buffalo Bills.... you know they're the only REAL NY team!". i found that people were trying to jump on the band wagon, to try to TAKE MY TEAM FROM ME. i was distressed, i didn't remember what it was like to root for a "winner" (BTW - i'm not a Yankees fan - at all - i don't even like baseball). that game against the Cardinals, we got crushed - i'm sure we all remember 'the concussion'. that game was what i was waiting for - the bubble to pop, that second shoe to fall, the jig was finally up. as the losses started to pile up, the haters reverted back to their ways. always one to search for the silver lining, i realized that I GOT MY TEAM BACK! i know that i'm always optimistic, you know... hope springs eternal, but if we field another bag of dog sh*t this year, i won't flinch, i'll just sit back every week and root for the couple of guys that stand out and imagine what it would be to have a team full of them. always a BILLS fan.

BTW, if you're ever in White Plains, NY, stop by Gryphons (49 Mamaroneck Ave), i also bartend there. i'll be the one with the BILLS hat on.

Bills fan in 49ers and Raiders territory.

Raiders fans seem a lot more passionate than Niners fans but compared to Bills fans, they're both fair weather fans.

When I fly the Bills colors, I rarely get comments. Not too many passionate NFL fans out here like there are back home. California is different that way.

As for the original post, I wish we'd won one of the Super Bowls but in a way it's a badge of courage to continue to cheer for this team without conditions or reservations. Those of us who do this are true fans. I've been very critical of the way the Bills have been run but I also support them with all my heart and as I've said before, I fully expect to be accompanied by some Bills merchandise when I'm laid to rest.

Raiders fans seem a lot more passionate than Niners fans but compared to Bills fans, they're both fair weather fans.

When I fly the Bills colors, I rarely get comments. Not too many passionate NFL fans out here like there are back home. California is different that way.

As for the original post, I wish we'd won one of the Super Bowls but in a way it's a badge of courage to continue to cheer for this team without conditions or reservations. Those of us who do this are true fans. I've been very critical of the way the Bills have been run but I also support them with all my heart and as I've said before, I fully expect to be accompanied by some Bills merchandise when I'm laid to rest.

totally with you on that, brother

I feel you bro. Being a Bills fan is really what being a fan is really about. It's hard to have your heart ripped out year after year after year. But we've got to. There's got to be a winning season in there somewhere. But until we win that ONE, there won't be any respect, just pity.

Keep rooting, it's got to happen sometime.

its rough being a bills fan in nj/the nyc surrounding area.

Try it in South Florida. I live a stones' throw from the Dolfelon training facility. Rode my bike there one time dressed in Bills garb. I was not recieved warmly.

i moved to the philly area after spending my entire life in buffalo. the people here are bandwagon jumpers to the enth degree. if they win, they erect statues , if they lose, the next week they are tearing them down. you really dont appreciate buffalo until after you leave it.. trust me..

I have not lived in Buffalo since 1979 but forever will be a Bills fan. I live in CT amongst a bunch of !@#$ Pats fans. Boston fans are the worst and it is not even close. I went to that Pats/Titans game- you know the freezing 57-0 game. We left early and hit a couple bars in the stadium complex. First bar I order two beers and am cracking jokes with the bartender and having fun. Then I take my jacket off revealing a Bills sweatshirt and order two more beers- they wouldnt serve us and made us leave. WTF? So we go to the next bar, sit at the bar. I order a pint of Newcastle and a pint for my friend. Halfway through my pint, I take off the jacket, again revealing a Bills sweatshirt. The bartender said we had to go, and they would refund our money. !@#$ the Pats! !@#$ the Sox! 90% of them are !@#$ing douchebags! I can't believe they are that threatened by a Bills sweatshirt!

Out of curiosity what is the media's take on the quirky Raider owner, Al Davis? Are they fed up with his erratic stewardship of the team and some of his very odd personnel and drafting decisions? Or have they just become jaded with the clown act going on in the organization and ignore the bizarre scene? The Bills have been bad for a very long time. Needless to say our organization is inept but at least it isn't weird like the Al Davis run organization.

Out of curiosity what is the media's take on the quirky Raider owner, Al Davis? Are they fed up with his erratic stewardship of the team and some of his very odd personnel and drafting decisions? Or have they just become jaded with the clown act going on in the organization and ignore the bizarre scene? The Bills have been bad for a very long time. Needless to say our organization is inept but at least it isn't weird like the Al Davis run organization.

i would say that ANYONE that knows anything about football knows that Al Davis can be counted on to make REALLY bad personnel decisions, that has been well documented the last few years. That team has a great legacy that is being repeatedly tarnished the last few years.

i would say that ANYONE that knows anything about football knows that Al Davis can be counted on to make REALLY bad personnel decisions, that has been well documented the last few years. That team has a great legacy that is being repeatedly tarnished the last few years.

There was a period of time when Al Davis was a resounding success as an owner and GM. The Raiders led by Al Davis used to be one of the most successful and interesting teams in the league. But as times have changed he hasn't adjusted.

I was 8 when I started to watch the team. From the Michigan area, just never enjoyed the Lions. I loved football, an NFL historian if you will. I grew up watching the good times. I loved the team, I loved the weather, the fans. This franchise embodied what football meant to me. Being a Bills fan is all about loyalty.

Personally I enjoy the banter amongst fair weathered fans. You can make them look like fools pretty easily. Whats nice about most Bills fans is we also come well educated. It's nice to see the look on "die hard" faces when your own knowledge of the team they love is superior. That usually shuts up any talk about the last decade. Plus I feel all things in life that have true meaning come with hard work, dedication, failures, successes....I know when it finally happens, the feeling will be more then what most fans feel, and to me that's worth it.

I left Buffalo in 2002 which was the year the Raiders played in the Super Bowl and hopes were high that they would continue to challenge. That was a pivotal year for the Raiders as they lost in the Super Bowl to their former coach, Jon Gruden. In a great irony, Gruden was only allowed to leave one year earlier after Al Davis pulled off what looked at the time like a master stroke, getting $8 million, two first round draft picks, and a second round pick from Tampa Bay in exchange for Gruden. Virtually everything Davis has done since then has turned to feces.

After the Super Bowl loss the team declined rapidly. In that time they've witnessed the Randy Moss fiasco and have watched high draft picks spent on the likes of Robert Gallery, JaMarcus Russell, Darren McFadden, and Darrius Heyward-Bey as well as a coaching carousel that has seen 5 head coaches in the last 7 years and only 29 wins (barely 4 wins per season). The Bills have 47 wins during that same period.

The media has written off Al Davis. The huge consensus is that the game has passed him by and that he's at the root of the Raiders' problems. He's often mocked on talk radio. Making things worse is the Raiders practice of denying media credentials and the (sometimes physical) confrontation of beat reporters who write or report unfavorably on the team. The team will also deny player access to local media outlets that are critical of the team. The Raiders comes off like a poorly run and vindictive mom and pop store. Bush league, incompetent, and increasingly bizarre.

I would say that much of Raiders Nation are die-hard fans similar to Bills fans. These fans are in the utter throws of despair. Like ourselves, their lives are degraded in quality by the quagmire of mediocrity that the Raiders are stuck in. Al Davis is widely viewed as a man who's lost his marbles and the main culprit for the team's demise. For most, he's now reviled. A few fans are in denial and believe that Davis will lead them back to the promised land. And most casual Raiders fans have reverted to almost complete apathy.

It's really a remarkable meltdown for a team which was once one of professional sports' winningest and proudest franchises. In eight years they've gone from Super Bowl to laughingstock in spectacular fashion.

I left Buffalo in 2002 which was the year the Raiders played in the Super Bowl and hopes were high that they would continue to challenge. That was a pivotal year for the Raiders as they lost in the Super Bowl to their former coach, Jon Gruden. In a great irony, Gruden was only allowed to leave one year earlier after Al Davis pulled off what looked at the time like a master stroke, getting $8 million, two first round draft picks, and a second round pick from Tampa Bay in exchange for Gruden. Virtually everything Davis has done since then has turned to feces.

After the Super Bowl loss the team declined rapidly. In that time they've witnessed the Randy Moss fiasco and have watched high draft picks spent on the likes of Robert Gallery, JaMarcus Russell, Darren McFadden, and Darrius Heyward-Bey as well as a coaching carousel that has seen 5 head coaches in the last 7 years and only 29 wins (barely 4 wins per season). The Bills have 47 wins during that same period.

The media has written off Al Davis. The huge consensus is that the game has passed him by and that he's at the root of the Raiders' problems. He's often mocked on talk radio. Making things worse is the Raiders practice of denying media credentials and the (sometimes physical) confrontation of beat reporters who write or report unfavorably on the team. The team will also deny player access to local media outlets that are critical of the team. The Raiders comes off like a poorly run and vindictive mom and pop store. Bush league, incompetent, and increasingly bizarre.

I would say that much of Raiders Nation are die-hard fans similar to Bills fans. These fans are in the utter throws of despair. Like ourselves, their lives are degraded in quality by the quagmire of mediocrity that the Raiders are stuck in. Al Davis is widely viewed as a man who's lost his marbles and the main culprit for the team's demise. For most, he's now reviled. A few fans are in denial and believe that Davis will lead them back to the promised land. And most casual Raiders fans have reverted to almost complete apathy.

It's really a remarkable meltdown for a team which was once one of professional sports' winningest and proudest franchises. In eight years they've gone from Super Bowl to laughingstock in spectacular fashion.

Not a word do i disagree with...

i have long been a Bills fan in an area of NY that boasts mostly annoying, non-informed Giants and Jets fans. This is part of my being, i think - you know, dealing with the adversity of being a fan of a long time loser, in the pit of fair-weathered fans. Jim Kelly always reminded us of the "resilience" of our Buffalo Bills, and that has always stuck with me. i do not think i would be a better man if we had won the big one, even once... i do believe that i probably wouldn't be able to appreciate my team as much... strange? i think we as Bills fan share a common thread of rooting for the under dog, full well knowing that our hearts were only going to get torn out at some point. in living in westchester, ny (about 20 minutes from Yankee Stadium, where i bartend) i went through a period, a couple seasons ago, where our team came out hot (4-0). every winning week going into the books, i would start getting more comments from the usual haters along the lines of "man, you know, i've always liked those Buffalo Bills.... you know they're the only REAL NY team!". i found that people were trying to jump on the band wagon, to try to TAKE MY TEAM FROM ME. i was distressed, i didn't remember what it was like to root for a "winner" (BTW - i'm not a Yankees fan - at all - i don't even like baseball). that game against the Cardinals, we got crushed - i'm sure we all remember 'the concussion'. that game was what i was waiting for - the bubble to pop, that second shoe to fall, the jig was finally up. as the losses started to pile up, the haters reverted back to their ways. always one to search for the silver lining, i realized that I GOT MY TEAM BACK! i know that i'm always optimistic, you know... hope springs eternal, but if we field another bag of dog sh*t this year, i won't flinch, i'll just sit back every week and root for the couple of guys that stand out and imagine what it would be to have a team full of them. always a BILLS fan.

BTW, if you're ever in White Plains, NY, stop by Gryphons (49 Mamaroneck Ave), i also bartend there. i'll be the one with the BILLS hat on.

So true. I live in Jersey and hope to get up there sometime.

i agree completely to the original post

and i guess ill throw out my own story of growing up in michigan. sports suck here. no ones real fans. my friends think im crazy for driving out to training camp every year and having a few signed jerseys in my basement. im like a superfan here among complete bandwagon fans. when i go to buffalo i feel stupid and a bad fan compared to all the real men there. its completely different. detroit is absolutely no comparison to the buffalo.

besides i havent seen a lions hat or shirt in months. i dont even know if they have ANY fans. and people say the bills should move to LA or toronto.

Kick me around for saying this all you want, but its all the same to me, whether they win a superbowl or not. I've been in the sports world for over a decade now- as a spectator, coach, writer, official and SID. A quote I really, really liked is this "Its not always all about winning, its about showing up each and every time."

Before you start to think that comment is about 'just giving your best', look at it a little closer. When everyone does their job, knows their assignment, ignores everything else and gets things done- that is when you really are able to compete and win. You don't go out there to win, as that isn't a true objective- it is actually a distraction.

I will just keep enjoying the games and competition. That's what sports are really all about.

So true. I live in Jersey and hope to get up there sometime.

You guys get bandwagon jumpers? I'm in Jersey and I don't get any fans jumping to the Bills, but my Bills gear basically serves to attract other ex-Buffalonians to talk to me about how they left Buffalo because there are no jobs but they'd move back if they could.