Stadium Fights

One thing that always confused me is how can 2 guys who live in the same town, who love the same team, spend $50 per tickets to fight, get arrested and dragged out of the stands. I know alcahol is usually the reason, but it makes no sense to me. As fans we get to see our team for 9 - 10 events per season. Why spoil it throwing fists with complete strangers??? I am a mainly happy and calm person who doesn't really drink. I don't understand how or why this happens. I wonder how much of it the players see and does it bother them to see?? If you respond, can you tell me your experiences from stadium fights. I never sit in the endzone, but they seem to be the worst sections for fights. I am sure gambling, the lack of jobs, gloomy weather and drinking are the reason, but I have never went to a game and thought to myself I am going to get hammered, stumble to my seat and then challenge people I have never met. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Doug in Clearwater

132543[/snapback]

Alcohol is an excuse for being an idiot

Sometime in the 80s at a Jets game. We had seats at the goal line and there were fights in the tunnel end zone. One I saw two guys jawing at each other from adjacent rows. One guy's girlfriend was behind him in the next row. As they were jawing, she reached over and cold-cocked the guy arguing with her boyfriend. All hell broke loose then.

It's due to the young jets fans from UB getting all tanked up at the game.

I generally don't get into the stadium fight thing...i think it's pretty pathetic. The best thing I saw was the Raider game in '99, I believe....Raider fan kept running his mouth in 310, a bunch of people tackled him and set his 1992-era Starter brand Raider jacket on fire. Security got there, but not after half the jacket was charred.

But having the drunken bufoon fighters in your section is never a good thing. They get up and make a scene and you get pummeled with beer or peanuts just being around the guy. You can go to a bar and see better fights and better one liners for much less $$$. I go to Bills games to see two things: a depressing, heartbreaking last minute loss for my favorite team, and to watch security drap down streakers with better form than Coy Wire and Izell Reese.

Never with another Bills fan except the first one. Every one I was pretty hammered as were the other participants. Needless to say, I have calmed way, way, way, way down over the last 5 seasons.

1992- Bills vs Rams Opener. Girl with us threw a water bottle and it hit some guy four rows below. He came up with his pals and about 8 of us started throwing. All were ejected. Good thing it was the 4th quarter and the Bills were up by 33. 

1992- Bills vs Broncos Championship Game. Guy in an Elway Jersey in the row behind me swung his seat cushion at me when Carlton Bailey scored. I turned around and clocked him. Double ejections.

1993- Bills at Steelers AFC Divisional Playoff Game. Post Game in Three Rivers Stadium Parking Lot. Some yahoo threw a full bottle of Jack Daniels through the back window of our van. We just got the hell out of there in a hurry and drank the Jack on the way home to stay warm.

1995- Bills vs Miami. Bills clinched AFC East and some guy in a Bryan Cox jersey threw a full beer at me in the 4th quarter, then tried to apologize and shake my hand. I swung at him instead. Double ejections.

1998- Bills vs Jets game on a Saturday afternoon right before Christmas. Bunch of us went out drinking the whole night before and continued right through Saturday AM into early afternoon. One of the guys with us was really ripped and ripped off a metal bar from a bathroom wall. He brought it back to our seats and ended up swinging it at an obnoxious Jets fan. Nasty fight ensured with other Bills fans, Jets fans, security and cops. He ended up getting arrested. Whole slew of people got tossed including the two guys with us that were passed out in the seats from halftime on.

1999- Bills vs Jets Sunday Night Opener. Scoreboard End Zone. Jets fan behind me burned my Chris Spielman jersey with a cigarette and I saw him do it on purpose. I was pretty ticked off but let it go. Later on he does it again and it was on. He was the only one ejected as everyone else was pointing and yelling at the Jets fan saying he started it all.

132800[/snapback]

This may be the saddest thing I have ever read on this board. I always wondered who these people were.

I spent 6 months in Germany and would go to the local teams games. I'm sorry people, but there has never been anything close to what used to go on over there. Artest would have been proud at the hooligans and all around trouble makers at these games. One thing I did admire was the hooligans would rarely attack normal fans, they would just go after each other or the police. I got involved in A few fights and it was usually just A free for all.

Now, if anybody took TWO seconds to read the top of my initial post, I haven't been in a fight at a Bills game in over 5 years. I did in fact grow up and am now quite the responsible adult. All that stuff happened when I was being a drunken idiot in my early to mid 20's. Now I am just a sober idiot in my early 30's who knows better.

Now, if anybody took TWO seconds to read the top of my initial post, I haven't been in a fight at a Bills game in over 5 years. I did in fact grow up and am now quite the responsible adult. All that stuff happened when I was being a drunken idiot in my early to mid 20's. Now I am just a sober idiot in my early 30's who knows better.

133089[/snapback]

tellin us you gave up drinking?

Last year, Bills-Jets game at the Meadowlands. A stupid Jets fan behind me flicked my ear. I let it go. He did it again. I let it go. He did it a third time. I stood up, grabbed him by the shirt, threw him into his seat and said if he did it one more time, he would be a bloody stain.

He bought me a beer.

The only stadium fight story that I have took place at The Stadium (Yankee Stadium) and it actually worked out in my favor. I was in a LONG line to go to the bathroom and all of a sudden the guy in front of me got into a boxing match with a guy in front of him. Most of the line jumped in to either try to break it up or get their cheap shots in and...lucky me...I moved to second in line to take a leak.

It may not sound like much of a story, but believe me...I had to go bad.

Best fight I ever saw was in the infield at the Preakness back in the 80s (Affirmed, Alydar IIRC). Bunch of girls were sitting on a blanket when some guy walked by & kicked their picnic basket. One of the girls told the guy to watch where he was walking, & he flipped her the finger. She jumped up & just beat the crap out of him! :w00t: He was trying to defend himself, didn't want to hit her, but she kept landing lefts & rights to his face like a machine gun, POP POP POP!! After about half a minute, he was able to shove her to the ground & the crowd booed him, then this Hulk Hogan-looking guy came in & pulled her off of him, more BOOs. 10 minutes later, about 20 cops show up. :P

Never with another Bills fan except the first one. Every one I was pretty hammered as were the other participants. Needless to say, I have calmed way, way, way, way down over the last 5 seasons.

1992- Bills vs Rams Opener. Girl with us threw a water bottle and it hit some guy four rows below. He came up with his pals and about 8 of us started throwing. All were ejected. Good thing it was the 4th quarter and the Bills were up by 33. 

1992- Bills vs Broncos Championship Game. Guy in an Elway Jersey in the row behind me swung his seat cushion at me when Carlton Bailey scored. I turned around and clocked him. Double ejections.

1993- Bills at Steelers AFC Divisional Playoff Game. Post Game in Three Rivers Stadium Parking Lot. Some yahoo threw a full bottle of Jack Daniels through the back window of our van. We just got the hell out of there in a hurry and drank the Jack on the way home to stay warm.

1995- Bills vs Miami. Bills clinched AFC East and some guy in a Bryan Cox jersey threw a full beer at me in the 4th quarter, then tried to apologize and shake my hand. I swung at him instead. Double ejections.

1998- Bills vs Jets game on a Saturday afternoon right before Christmas. Bunch of us went out drinking the whole night before and continued right through Saturday AM into early afternoon. One of the guys with us was really ripped and ripped off a metal bar from a bathroom wall. He brought it back to our seats and ended up swinging it at an obnoxious Jets fan. Nasty fight ensured with other Bills fans, Jets fans, security and cops. He ended up getting arrested. Whole slew of people got tossed including the two guys with us that were passed out in the seats from halftime on.

1999- Bills vs Jets Sunday Night Opener. Scoreboard End Zone. Jets fan behind me burned my Chris Spielman jersey with a cigarette and I saw him do it on purpose. I was pretty ticked off but let it go. Later on he does it again and it was on. He was the only one ejected as everyone else was pointing and yelling at the Jets fan saying he started it all.

132800[/snapback]

Excellent! :P