Small plane crashes into bldg.

Beerball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received a CNN report that he set his house on fire prior to flying the plane into the building. Thought I put that in the original heading but either I neglected to or someone has changed it.

I started this same topic, but it was vaporized - I went back to delete it 'cause I saw yours, but it was already gone. :D

If I'm reading that timeline correctly, then this guy was able to fly a stolen plane for two hours without a flight plan? I don't know much about aviation...but wouldn't that raise a red flag at some point?

Small planes don't always need to file flight plans. Rarely, as I recall. Depending on the airspace, he doesn't even necessarily need to contact ATC.

Regardless, it wasn't a plane. I didn't see any plane pieces in any of the pictures of the building. It must have been a cruise missile.

Small planes don't always need to file flight plans. Rarely, as I recall. Depending on the airspace, he doesn't even necessarily need to contact ATC.

Thanks

Regardless, it wasn't a plane. I didn't see any plane pieces in any of the pictures of the building. It must have been a cruise missile.

Oliver Stone's new project!

That's correct. My father-in-law is a pilot, and when we go up in his Cesna, he never files a flight plan. He just talks to the tower and tells them where he's going.

then this guy was able to fly a stolen plane for two hours without a flight plan?

you only need to fly a Flight Plan if you're flying IFR (Instrument Flight Rules), ie when controllers dictate where & how you fly.

(I add that this is how it used to be - I haven't flown in a few yrs). Filing for VFR (Visual Flight Rules) is optional.

However, even were you to file, AFAIK, there's no way of knowing whether or not you're authorized to fly that plane.

I'll add that many GA planes are from the 60s & 70s w/ no/little theft prevention.

Even if he did file, unless he was flying other than where he was supposed to, I don't see how that would raise a red flag.

He could easily go "a few miles off course" and into the building in a matter of minutes.

Wrong again Tom! It's quite obvious the government planted charges in the building. All those reporting the plane hit the building are in on it. Think I'll start a website.

In all seriousness, I hope noone was killed in this moron's act of revenge.

If I'm reading that timeline correctly, then this guy was able to fly a stolen plane for two hours without a flight plan? I don't know much about aviation...but wouldn't that raise a red flag at some point?

Even if it did, what would anyone do about it? Unless there is a live video feed of OBL from the cockpit of the plane in question and he's stating that he's on a suicide mission, no one is shooting any aircraft out of the sky, period.

I've flown with private pilots in small planes several times and have never filed a flight plan. I don't believe they are required. Hell, half the airports that private planes fly from don't have any personnel there anyway; except maybe the guy manning the gas pump.

And where are the holes in the building where the wings supposedly hit?

I hear they were behind it.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/articl...29023415270.jpg