EXCELLENT idea for the Bills...

IsaacHiga (2/15/2010 at 3:25 PM)

Report Violation

with a rich class of top OL and DL prospects, buffalo should take full advantage of both, assessing whether other teams are looking to move up and trading down marginally while acquiring additional draft picks at the same time. focusing in on a long term LT solution, buffalo would benefit from focusing on a 3-4 DE or NT, especially for depth. bryan bulaga, trent williams, and bruce campbell are all attractive possible selections in the Mid 1st round with starting caliber talent. picking up a NT project like terrence cody or odrick offer nice depth behind incumbent stroud. depth at the OLB and ILB are also a concern. buffalo has definite talent at qb with edwards, fitzpatrick, and brohm (all with high football IQ) but all have shown inexperience and inconsistency both in play and in health. bills fan should expect a fierce competition b/w the three in the off season with the team benefiting as a whole if they all push each other to a whole new level of performance. if all fails, jake locker will be entering the draft in 2011. to remain competitive in the afc east means that they also need to be active in free agency. a heady veteran like kevin mawae (despite his age) will aid in development of building a cohesive offensive line unit. the same could be said about joey porter, an outstanding 3-4 OLB who commands attention even in his twilight years. his vocality along with the maybin switch, will ignite a talented unit that finds themselves underachieving at times.

I really like the thinking of this guy. Gather some picks, draft some studs, stock up on depth, get some vets - some leaders, led the 3 QB's battle it out...go play ball and see what happens. Experiment for a year. Let this young team gel. Let them learn the playbook, perfect it. Take 1-2 more offseasons to tinker with and finish the project...and go for it.

These (recently new) good teams have been preparing and rebuilding for a few years now...Texans, Cardinals, Saints, Vikings, Falcons, 49ers...they have all, in the past few years, built their teams through the draft, with the exception of a few free agents to fill in pieces or add depth. (or trades, ie. Texans - Schaub)

I think we have gotten some pretty good players in the last few drafts (and UDFA)...Byrd, Nelson, Wood, Levitre, Maybin, McKelvin, Corner, Lynch, Posluszny, K. Williams, Wilson, Butler, Edwards, Sanborn. (Youboty when healthy).

I would like to see more of these guys. I think they're good players, who I would like to see retained...C. Harris, Meredith, Brohm, S. Johnson, Hardy, Ellis, Schouman, Whitner, Bell, Sargeant, N. Harris, Lankster, Klopfenstein...

- Cary Harris showed his skill and potential with 2 ints in a game. Hailing from USC, I think he could be a good CB.

- Meredith was a relatively highly rated prospect and showed he could hold his own when called upon in '09.

- Brohm could end up being the next Frank Reich. Everybody knows the story on Brohm.

- Stevie Johnson showed promise in '08, but didn't see the field this year. He has skills and I hope we see more of them.

- Hardy was a decently high draft pick and has talent and much needed height. I think he breaks out in '10.

- Ellis could prove more effective in the new 3-4 as a OLB. I hope we give him a shot.

- Schouman could be a valuable utility man as a FB, TE and ST guy. He has decent hands.

- Whitner is a guy everybody hates. I think he will be very good in the new 3-4, teamed with Byrd. Whitner and Byrd will be able to roam the field and make plays on the ball more often now. I think they could be a great duo as SS-FS.

- Bell was thought of quite highly by many. He showed potential, but got hurt and gets too many penalties.

- Lydell Sargeant could be a pretty decent CB. He showed some skill in the final game with 1 or 2 ints.

- Nic Harris is said to have no place on the defense now, but somebody brought up the idea of Roy Williams as an

in-the-box safety for run support. Well, what about Nic Harris playing SS like he did in college?

- Ellis Lankster is another guy who showed skill, in the pre-season. He could be a good CB, but is lost in a numbers game.

- Joe Klopfenstein, I think was a great pickup. He was a 2nd or 3rd round pick I believe and has good height. He has decent hands, can run routes and he can block as well. I think he would be a very good backup to Nelson.

*There are four guys who we have gotten whom I really want to see and I hope they are decent for depth, to fill some holes. All of them have great size. Jason Watkins comes from U. Florida where he was the starting LT for the 2 Championships. Duncan, Harvey and Ramsey all also have decent bios.

I really like the thinking of this guy. Gather some picks, draft some studs, stock up on depth, get some vets - some leaders, led the 3 QB's battle it out...go play ball and see what happens. Experiment for a year. Let this young team gel. Let them learn the playbook, perfect it. Take 1-2 more offseasons to tinker with and finish the project...and go for it.

These (recently new) good teams have been preparing and rebuilding for a few years now...Texans, Cardinals, Saints, Vikings, Falcons, 49ers...they have all, in the past few years, built their teams through the draft, with the exception of a few free agents to fill in pieces or add depth. (or trades, ie. Texans - Schaub)

I think we have gotten some pretty good players in the last few drafts (and UDFA)...Byrd, Nelson, Wood, Levitre, Maybin, McKelvin, Corner, Lynch, Posluszny, K. Williams, Wilson, Butler, Edwards, Sanborn. (Youboty when healthy).

I would like to see more of these guys. I think they're good players, who I would like to see retained...C. Harris, Meredith, Brohm, S. Johnson, Hardy, Ellis, Schouman, Whitner, Bell, Sargeant, N. Harris, Lankster, Klopfenstein...

- Cary Harris showed his skill and potential with 2 ints in a game. Hailing from USC, I think he could be a good CB.

- Meredith was a relatively highly rated prospect and showed he could hold his own when called upon in '09.

- Brohm could end up being the next Frank Reich. Everybody knows the story on Brohm.

- Stevie Johnson showed promise in '08, but didn't see the field this year. He has skills and I hope we see more of them.

- Hardy was a decently high draft pick and has talent and much needed height. I think he breaks out in '10.

- Ellis could prove more effective in the new 3-4 as a OLB. I hope we give him a shot.

- Schouman could be a valuable utility man as a FB, TE and ST guy. He has decent hands.

- Whitner is a guy everybody hates. I think he will be very good in the new 3-4, teamed with Byrd. Whitner and Byrd will be able to roam the field and make plays on the ball more often now. I think they could be a great duo as SS-FS.

- Bell was thought of quite highly by many. He showed potential, but got hurt and gets too many penalties.

- Lydell Sargeant could be a pretty decent CB. He showed some skill in the final game with 1 or 2 ints.

- Nic Harris is said to have no place on the defense now, but somebody brought up the idea of Roy Williams as an

in-the-box safety for run support. Well, what about Nic Harris playing SS like he did in college?

- Ellis Lankster is another guy who showed skill, in the pre-season. He could be a good CB, but is lost in a numbers game.

- Joe Klopfenstein, I think was a great pickup. He was a 2nd or 3rd round pick I believe and has good height. He has decent hands, can run routes and he can block as well. I think he would be a very good backup to Nelson.

*There are four guys who we have gotten whom I really want to see and I hope they are decent for depth, to fill some holes. All of them have great size. Jason Watkins comes from U. Florida where he was the starting LT for the 2 Championships. Duncan, Harvey and Ramsey all also have decent bios.

Let me ask this question. With all the close games last season, how many were lost in all of your oppinions due to coaching? I do think we have talent on this team with no leadership. Both Gm and coach we have now seam to posess leadership. Of course that remains to be seen. We will find out in Sept. By the way thanks for the optimistic writings.

I have followed the Bills since Christ was a midshipman and I can pretty much guarantee that nothing is going to change until Ralph gives up ownership of the team and a new broom sweeps out the entire organization--maybe in Buffalo, maybe in [fill in the blank].

Yesterday has always been an excellent predictor of tomorrow at 1 Bills Drive.

I have followed the Bills since Christ was a midshipman and I can pretty much guarantee that nothing is going to change until Ralph gives up ownership of the team and a new broom sweeps out the entire organization--maybe in Buffalo, maybe in [fill in the blank].

Yesterday has always been an excellent predictor of tomorrow at 1 Bills Drive.

So sad, but so true.

We have "definite" talent with edwards, fitzy, and Brohm? :rolleyes: I don't know if definite is a word I would use to describe anyone in that bunch.

And all of a sudden Jake Locker would be our saviour next year? No thanks.

I must really be over looking something then when I watch the three of those bums play then. The 3 of them suck and would not be on any other NFL roster in the league. Lets find someone that can function as QB. Thanks.

...and then start all over again cause you still haven't addressed the most important position on the field, QB.

We have "definite" talent with edwards, fitzy, and Brohm? :rolleyes: I don't know if definite is a word I would use to describe anyone in that bunch.

And all of a sudden Jake Locker would be our saviour next year? No thanks.

I ended the article right there. The three combined can't make one quality starter.

buffalo has definite talent at qb with edwards, fitzpatrick, and brohm (all with high football IQ) but all have shown inexperience and inconsistency both in play and in health. bills fan should expect a fierce competition b/w the three in the off season with the team benefiting as a whole if they all push each other to a whole new level of performance.

= New heights of futility! Yah!

Let me ask this question. With all the close games last season, how many were lost in all of your oppinions due to coaching? I do think we have talent on this team with no leadership. Both Gm and coach we have now seam to posess leadership. Of course that remains to be seen. We will find out in Sept. By the way thanks for the optimistic writings.

+1

I think with a different HC we would have won at least 2 (if not 4) more games a year for the last 4 years. I strongly feel that we were not in the playoffs those years because of bad coaching, conditioning, teaching. Now with the new coaching staff, they are cutting the dead weight ie..Jenkins, Wendling, Fine. I dont know if we will turn it around in 1 season like so many teams have done recently. But we are realistically a few free agents away from doing that. Im not saying we will pick them up, but what if we traded for McNabb, kept TO, picked up Wolfork and Seymour in FA, picked up or drafted a stud ILB, and LT in the draft? Would you think were a playoff team then?

'09.

Very nice evaluation of the current rebuilding situation with the Bills. Its not an over night project and will really take all the talents of Nix and Gailey's crew to get things pointed in the right direction, but some pieces of the puzzle exist already. One of the keys to this that we are already aware of is draft strategy and talent utilization. I am reserving judgment on whether they can get this thing together until mid season 2010. I'm not looking for anything but improvement and consistency in 2010.

And yes, Edwards and the current line-up at QB does suck rotten eggs, but I am on board with the current direction. Hope they bring in some competition..

Very nice evaluation of the current rebuilding situation with the Bills. Its not an over night project and will really take all the talents of Nix and Gailey's crew to get things pointed in the right direction, but some pieces of the puzzle exist already. One of the keys to this that we are already aware of is draft strategy and talent utilization. I am reserving judgment on whether they can get this thing together until mid season 2010. I'm not looking for anything but improvement and consistency in 2010.

And yes, Edwards and the current line-up at QB does suck rotten eggs, but I am on board with the current direction. Hope they bring in some competition..

How many years does it take to "currently rebuild"?

The initial thrust of the article was very true, this draft is full of OL's and DL's, thus I think it would be wise to invest in the big uglies early and often in this draft! Ideally, land players throughout rounds 1 through 4 that fit into the new scheme defensively. Building defense first might allow this staff to "steal" some victories they probably shouldn't have any business winning! It would be nice to see some young blood flying around the field making plays, and we agruably have a game changer at FS already in Jairus Byrd. Heck, Baltimore does it every season, why not the Bills?!?!

Note: The comment on QB play was absurd, at best, downright stupid, in fact!!

+1

I think with a different HC we would have won at least 2 (if not 4) more games a year for the last 4 years. I strongly feel that we were not in the playoffs those years because of bad coaching, conditioning, teaching. Now with the new coaching staff, they are cutting the dead weight ie..Jenkins, Wendling, Fine. I dont know if we will turn it around in 1 season like so many teams have done recently. But we are realistically a few free agents away from doing that. Im not saying we will pick them up, but what if we traded for McNabb, kept TO, picked up Wolfork and Seymour in FA, picked up or drafted a stud ILB, and LT in the draft? Would you think were a playoff team then?

Here are my issues with that. Not too keen on getting McNabb. Is he not an older version of Tebow? Why not just grab him? No we dont know what we would have in Tebow but we also dont know how many more years we would have McNabb. I also think we would have to give Brohm a better look. I think with this coaching staff he could become something.

Also the times I saw TO not fight for the ball bothers me. Johnson, I believe that was his name deserves a look there. How do you feel about that?

The initial thrust of the article was very true, this draft is full of OL's and DL's, thus I think it would be wise to invest in the big uglies early and often in this draft! Ideally, land players throughout rounds 1 through 4 that fit into the new scheme defensively. Building defense first might allow this staff to "steal" some victories they probably shouldn't have any business winning! It would be nice to see some young blood flying around the field making plays, and we agruably have a game changer at FS already in Jairus Byrd. Heck, Baltimore does it every season, why not the Bills?!?!

Note: The comment on QB play was absurd, at best, downright stupid, in fact!!

byrd-scott

These (recently new) good teams have been preparing and rebuilding for a few years now...Texans,49ers...

I hope we don't rebuild like these teams. They're both perennial 8-8 teams.

Your plan sounds good. But if we could somehow get our hands on a decent QB, we could make a run this year.