Are we sure Bell can't be a good OLT?

BobChalmers

Wasn't he essentially hurt most of the year?

Didn't he look pretty solid in his limited action while he was healthy?

I'm interested in hearing what I missed watching the games - I don't remember ever being very upset with what I saw from him, but maybe I've forgotten.

It just seems like so much of the screaming about the state of our offensive line was ignoring the fact that 3/5 starters were out much of the year.

Please - tell me which games I should look back at - I have them recorded - to find where Bell sucks - particularly for a guy coming in with so little experience and room to continue developing physically.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in hearing what I missed watching the games - I don't remember ever being very upset with what I saw from him, but maybe I've forgotten.

It just seems like so much of the screaming about the state of our offensive line was ignoring the fact that 3/5 starters were out much of the year.

Please - tell me which games I should look back at - I have them recorded - to find where Bell sucks - particularly for a guy coming in with so little experience and room to continue developing physically.

He just got called for two false starts while you were writing that post

seems like he was penalized multiple times in every game he was in...real lack of concentration. could be chalked up to him being a little overwhelmed or something much worse. maybe he will be a good player in this league and just needs more time to develop, or he may never be able to handle the position in the nfl. either way, let's bring in some legitimate competition, and let's put the best 5 on the field.

Like you said he was hurt, and he usually is hurt, Jonas Jennings was a pretty good left tackle for us but ultimatly he wasnt worth resigning because he was hurt all the time. He and butler both are fragile. Also, like you said he did look pretty good he has a penelty problem which should be fixed with experiance and coaching. I think he will be good to start the season with and slowly bring along our rookie LT then the rook will take over in week 4 when Bell is hurt again.

Are we sure Bell can't be a good OLT?

The right question to ask is "Are we sure Bell can be a good OLT?" and how long before he's "GOOD". We need "GOOD" now.

He's not that big for a LT and he's not that durable. He didn't win the job, he got thrown in there because Walker sucked and the Bills weren't about to pay him bonus money, let alone his salary.

He's had his audition. Now he can audtion for a spot on the team. Let's not cut these marginal holdovers, from probably the worst Bills offense ever, any slack... we need football players.

seems like he was penalized multiple times in every game he was in...real lack of concentration. could be chalked up to him being a little overwhelmed or something much worse. maybe he will be a good player in this league and just needs more time to develop, or he may never be able to handle the position in the nfl. either way, let's bring in some legitimate competition, and let's put the best 5 on the field.

Did he play much after the no huddle was scrapped? If so i'd be curious if there was a difference in his penalties.

The right question to ask is "Are we sure Bell can be a good OLT?" and how long before he's "GOOD". We need "GOOD" now.

He's not that big for a LT and he's not that durable. He didn't win the job, he got thrown in there because Walker sucked and the Bills weren't about to pay him bonus money, let alone his salary.

He's had his audition. Now he can audtion for a spot on the team. Let's not cut these marginal holdovers, from probably the worst Bills offense ever, any slack... we need football players.

I for one like Bell... He has a ton of upside.. If we recall, Peters took some time before he was ready.. I think Bell was asked to start a year ahead of when he was ready... This upcoming season, look for him to win that spot.. I am liking the Oline potential. I'd like to see Incognito resigned and at LG, Wood back at Center, Butler to RG, Bell at LT and bring someone in to fight with Levitre for RT.... Butler and Levitre could ultimately switch..... I think they were all too young last year.. They will ALL improve...

Bell can be a good LT... Someday and I don't want to come into this season counting on that happening. Bell has a lot of tools (Speed and Quickness and light on his feet) but he has some strength issues (Which can be addressed as he is young and can add muscle to his frame) and more importantly mentality issues. He never played HS ball and only played some College football so after just 1 season in the NFL he was asked to be the starting LT on an NFL team?

Bell wasn't put in much of a position to have success as he was in way over his head. Walker should have been the LT even if he might not have been a fit for the no-huddle (Which they gave up on fairly quickly). So what should have been the plan was use Walker as the LT for as long as possible and have Bell be groomed only as a backup.

Then once it was clear the Bills were going nowhere they should have got Bell a few starts towards the end of the year where he would have been better prepared with not as much pressure on him. So he goes into this season preparing to compete as a starter with a few starts under his belt. Instead he was hot shot into the role and he didn't have success.

I say we draft a LT pick 9 and have Bell be the backup. Bell if he can prove to be a quality player can possibly be the RT of the future seeing as Butler is solid but not a slam dunk coming off an injury.

I for one like Bell... He has a ton of upside.. If we recall, Peters took some time before he was ready.. I think Bell was asked to start a year ahead of when he was ready.

How long can people talk about a guy have potential? At some point, the player has to live up to it or he doesn't. The guy was a developmental player to begin with. It's been two seasons now, and some are talking as if he's close to being very good.

NFL players typically make their biggest leap from year 1 to year 2. I didn't see much from him last year that signaled he was coming of age. When you can't remember the snap count in your home stadium by your second year, that's not good.

Bell can be a good LT... Someday and I don't want to come into this season counting on that happening. Bell has a lot of tools (Speed and Quickness and light on his feet) but he has some strength issues (Which can be addressed as he is young and can add muscle to his frame) and more importantly mentality issues. He never played HS ball and only played some College football so after just 1 season in the NFL he was asked to be the starting LT on an NFL team?

Bell wasn't put in much of a position to have success as he was in way over his head. Walker should have been the LT even if he might not have been a fit for the no-huddle (Which they gave up on fairly quickly). So what should have been the plan was use Walker as the LT for as long as possible and have Bell be groomed only as a backup.

Then once it was clear the Bills were going nowhere they should have got Bell a few starts towards the end of the year where he would have been better prepared with not as much pressure on him. So he goes into this season preparing to compete as a starter with a few starts under his belt. Instead he was hot shot into the role and he didn't have success.

I say we draft a LT pick 9 and have Bell be the backup. Bell if he can prove to be a quality player can possibly be the RT of the future seeing as Butler is solid but not a slam dunk coming off an injury.

good post, couldnt agree more, people complain about d bell like he was a first round pick. i am not saying he is gonna be great or even good. i just think its too early to give up on him.

How long can people talk about a guy have potential? At some point, the player has to live up to it or he doesn't. The guy was a developmental player to begin with. It's been two seasons now, and some are talking as if he's close to being very good.

NFL players typically make their biggest leap from year 1 to year 2. I didn't see much from him last year that signaled he was coming of age. When you can't remember the snap count in your home stadium by your second year, that's not good.

well exactly how many games did he play year one? the same amount as you and me, 0. So i wouldn't exactly give up on him just yet.

When Chuck Knox drafted Jim Richter with a #1 pick he sat on the bench his first year and learned. Knox was an ex O linemen himself and he stated it took 2-3 years for a player to fully develop.

Bell might just become a decent LT, time and coaching will tell. Jauron had the frame of mind that everyone gets treated the same, QB to O linemen, just throw them them in the fire because they only way they learn is to play.

There is no denying that playing experience is a must for any new player, its just that coaching can mean the difference between an average player and a pro bowl player. Great coaching can teach proper technique footwork and fundamentals that are needed just to start playing the position properly.

The Bills have had some really bad coaching the last few years since Jim McNally retired after 28 years in the NFL, hopefully things will change soon.

well exactly how many games did he play year one? the same amount as you and me, 0. So i wouldn't exactly give up on him just yet.

Year 1 was 2008. The NFL is a "what have you done lately for me" league. Two years into a pro career and I expect a guy not to be one of the most heavily penalized players in the AFCE.

The LT position is too critical to the overall success of the entire offense for bargain bin type players. Bell is a wonderful story, and it's changed my take on his father, but hoping and wishing players succeed has left the Bills 0-4 in playoff appearances since 2006/

Year 1 was 2008. The NFL is a "what have you done lately for me" league. Two years into a pro career and I expect a guy not to be one of the most heavily penalized players in the AFCE.

The LT position is too critical to the overall success of the entire offense for bargain bin type players. Bell is a wonderful story, and it's changed my take on his father, but hoping and wishing players succeed has left the Bills 0-4 in playoff appearances since 2006/

yeah but they drafted him as a "project". apparently he has shown something to be a starting lt in the nfl. its not like we are paying him alot of money or we have any depth a o tackle, so why not keep him??

Not one lineman on the Colts was drafted higher than the 4th round and 2 were undrafted. I believe that the Chargers and Patriots have similar experience with their lines. Bring in a solid but un-spectactular vet for LT. Draft LB Mcclain in rd 1, Draft a NT in rd 2 and WR Danario Alexander in rd 3. OL in rd 4.