casserly on Tackles in the Draft.

tennesseeboy

Heard Charlie Casserly on the NFL station while getting ready for work. He indicated (contrary to what some on the board asserted that there were at least four first round OT's and he would not be surprised if they are all chosen before the tenth pick. Here is his assessment as best I recall...He said that he was talking about hem in no particular order.

Trent Williams Very talented but probably a right tackle.

Okung very high but did not discuss him as the best offensive tackle but high in the mix. I would have expected him to say he was the top candidate.

Brian Baluga. Extremely talented with two possible concerns...short arms and something I hadn't thought of as a consideration-he warned that Baluga had been extremely well coached and developed at Iowa and that perhaps what we were seeing was the best we were going to see...I don't think he meant it as a slam, but rather that he comes with a perhaps limited upside.

Anthony Davis-Extremely talented with the physique and athletic ability to perform at the next level. Extremely long arms. Did not identify him as a right tackle option.

The two compared this draft class at this position to last year's class.

Brian Baluga. Extremely talented with two possible concerns...short arms and something I hadn't thought of as a consideration-he warned that Baluga had been extremely well coached and developed at Iowa and that perhaps what we were seeing was the best we were going to see...I don't think he meant it as a slam, but rather that he comes with a perhaps limited upside.

I don't see how this is a knock. What more do we want a LT to do? Catch touchdown passes? I'd take a solid starter for 10 years over a dominant LT for 3. LT is a very overrated position as evidence by the last 4 teams that played in the Super Bowl.

Davis is an extremely talented player, but he has had issues with work ethic, according to several reports on him. Is he worth the risk?

There has to be a time where everyone in Buffalo forgets about Mike Williams. Just because we had one bad apple doesnt mean that everyone is. It also comes down to who is pushing them and driving their work ethic.

With that said, I dont know much about college OL's so this is a nice bit of info.

It sounds like with the short arms, that Baluga is better suited for the inside and not cut out for T. He may not get any better at T like Casserly stated, but could turn into a monster G.

Davis sounds like a great pick to me. But IMO I want a stud LB in the 1st round and then the best OL available in the 2nd round. If Casserly is correct that 4-5 of these guys might go before pick 10, then we might have a real shot at a stud like McClain. If we came back around and got the best DT, or OL available it would look good for us.

Our line this year will most likely stay the same. Butler will be back and start at RT, Wood might be moved to C if we keep Incognito. Would be better on Wood as far as movement concerns with the ankle. Were just short a LT. We pick up one veteran FA and draft one in round 2 or 3 and we should be ok.

I have been saying it all year, Bulaga is ready to go, very good technique, and is a mauler. thats what i want. Be very weary of Davis and WIlliams.

I think we would be lucky as hell to get Bulaga and we shouldn't crew up out pick like last year if he falls to us. He would fit in well with our other guys. I'm not sure what started the love fest for the other guys Woods and Levitre...actually I do know....it was simply the fact their names weren't Jason Peters. Anyhow, some have said they supposedly posses a nasty demeanor and crowned them as super stars before the regular season even started. Basically we "got Wood", LOL, with the pick we got for Jason Peters.

That being said Bulaga would seem to fit this mold. It's been said that he is very talented, well coached and supposedly has that "nasty demeanor". Iowa gets kind of cold doesn't it? This guy has Buffalo written ALL over him.

Short arms? Hadn't heard that one. How freakin' short can your arms be when you are 6' freakin 6"??!?!?!?!? *sheesh*

Every time I see things like this it makes me think that the poster has a hidden agenda and really wants a QB or LB at #9 so they try to belittle the tackle prospects.

I think we would be lucky as hell to get Bulaga and we shouldn't crew up out pick like last year if he falls to us. He would fit in well with our other guys. I'm not sure what started the love fest for the other guys Woods and Levitre...actually I do know....it was simply the fact their names weren't Jason Peters. Anyhow, some have said they supposedly posses a nasty demeanor and crowned them as super stars before the regular season even started. Basically we "got Wood", LOL, with the pick we got for Jason Peters.

That being said Bulaga would seem to fit this mold. It's been said that he is very talented, well coached and supposedly has that "nasty demeanor". Iowa gets kind of cold doesn't it? This guy has Buffalo written ALL over him.

Short arms? Hadn't heard that one. How freakin' short can your arms be when you are 6' freakin 6"??!?!?!?!? *sheesh*

Every time I see things like this it makes me think that the poster has a hidden agenda and really wants a QB or LB at #9 so they try to belittle the tackle prospects.

The poster just stated what was said on NFLN by Charlie Casserlly.I watched it myself and the op is spot on with what was said.

I don't see how this is a knock. What more do we want a LT to do? Catch touchdown passes? I'd take a solid starter for 10 years over a dominant LT for 3. LT is a very overrated position as evidence by the last 4 teams that played in the Super Bowl.

i know just look how our season turned out.

The poster just stated what was said on NFLN by Charlie Casserlly.I watched it myself and the op is spot on with what was said.

No doubt. I wasn't trying to insinuate that it was the posters opinion. I was merely questioning the motivation for posting it. This is one of a couple thread I have seen that I believe mentions the same article about this years tackle class.

THANK YOU! Everyone thinks you need this high round LT, Bull ****. The two that played in the Superbowl were nobodies. Now I will say the knock on Iowa Linemen is they aren't going to get any better, I agree with that which makes me want to stay away from Baluga.

I would like to see a guy that can develop some.

Two things, The poster is DEAD ON. I saw the same report this morning. Second, Who gives a **** about 'cold weather'? Either you are tough enough to adapt or you aren't. Iowa guys are pretty much maxed out coming out of college.

No doubt. I wasn't trying to insinuate that it was the posters opinion. I was merely questioning the motivation for posting it. This is one of a couple thread I have seen that I believe mentions the same article about this years tackle class.

Motivation was more just to give what Casserly was thinking. There were two surprises for me. The first was that this class was comparable to last year's very strong LT class. This did not seem consistent with what I was seeing in a few posts here that the class was kind of weak.

The second was the statement about being so well-coached at Iowa about Baluga and perhaps that he was as good as he was going to get. I thought that was wierd at first and then played around with the thought and figured it might be a legitimate observation. I have a very good friend who runs one of the best Div. III wrestling programs in the country. Has been a national champ on a number of occassions and by now has nearly 60 all americans. He looks to recruit the guy from a small school who gave the hotly recruited star a great match and looks to what coaching he received in his high school in evaluating how good he could be. Has had tremendous success over the years picking guys who have a tremendous upside.

I like Baluga, and from what I see would be happy to have him or Davis. I assumed it was a given that Okung would be the number 2 or 3 pick, but apparently he might even be in the mix with Williams.

Geez...read my posts over the last month. I think I'm probably the strongest poster on the board for a Tackle choice. I've pointed out that under no circumstances would I pick either of the top two quarterbacks at nine.

There has to be a time where everyone in Buffalo forgets about Mike Williams. Just because we had one bad apple doesnt mean that everyone is. It also comes down to who is pushing them and driving their work ethic.

Two things:

1. I'm not thinking about Mike Williams, I'm thinking about any player that has had the "work ethic" tag added to their profile. That is a very dangerous game and not one someone should get into just to prove the world/rest of NFL wrong.

2. Short arms can be countered with outstanding technique, footwork and (here it comes again) a hard-working mentality. Those are all qualities that Bulaga has had. In fact, his biggest issue going into this year was his run blocking, which he improved upon greatly, despite the Thyroid issue.

THANK YOU! Everyone thinks you need this high round LT, Bull ****. The two that played in the Superbowl were nobodies. Now I will say the knock on Iowa Linemen is they aren't going to get any better, I agree with that which makes me want to stay away from Baluga.

I would like to see a guy that can develop some.

they already have Bell - he needs a whole lot of developing before he should be allowed back on the field

Oooohhh, hidden agendas on internet message boards? Gots to be more careful or my thinking might be influenced by these tricksters :rolleyes:

short arms are actually a problem for LTs. As for "well coached," see Gallery, Robert. It's a fair knock on Iowa guys.

Motivation was more just to give what Casserly was thinking. There were two surprises for me. The first was that this class was comparable to last year's very strong LT class. This did not seem consistent with what I was seeing in a few posts here that the class was kind of weak.

The second was the statement about being so well-coached at Iowa about Baluga and perhaps that he was as good as he was going to get. I thought that was wierd at first and then played around with the thought and figured it might be a legitimate observation. I have a very good friend who runs one of the best Div. III wrestling programs in the country. Has been a national champ on a number of occassions and by now has nearly 60 all americans. He looks to recruit the guy from a small school who gave the hotly recruited star a great match and looks to what coaching he received in his high school in evaluating how good he could be. Has had tremendous success over the years picking guys who have a tremendous upside.

I like Baluga, and from what I see would be happy to have him or Davis. I assumed it was a given that Okung would be the number 2 or 3 pick, but apparently he might even be in the mix with Williams.

We kind of went through this last year. The supposed knock on Brian Orakpo was that he was maxed out. Then we picked Maybin who had more upside :rolleyes:

Two things, The poster is DEAD ON. I saw the same report this morning. Second, Who gives a **** about 'cold weather'? Either you are tough enough to adapt or you aren't. Iowa guys are pretty much maxed out coming out of college.

Two things

If he already plays in cold weather and does it well doesn't that prove that he is ALREADY tough enough to play in Buffalo? This isn't rocket science. If he is already aclimated that is a plus for him vs an unkown who may never adapt.

Please do your home work. I see that crap statement all the time....players from school XYZ suck, are maxed out, don't make good NFL prospects, etc. Don't be lazy. Do your homework. Judge prospects on their individual talents. Don't take the easy way out and just make snap judgments based on the school they went to.

Geez...read my posts over the last month. I think I'm probably the strongest poster on the board for a Tackle choice. I've pointed out that under no circumstances would I pick either of the top two quarterbacks at nine.

I won't bother to go back and read them all but totally my bad. I made an incorrect assumption.

QUOTE (PDaDdy @ Feb 17 2010, 10:24 AM) *

ever see a T-Rex???? :rolleyes:

LOL. Good one. If we were considering drafting an extinct reptile I would be worried.

And thankfully, NFL careers aren't judge after one season or else Rick Mirer would have had a better career than Drew Bledsoe.

I don't remember Rick Mirer setting the world on fire any year but double digit sacks for a rookie DE/LB vs our guy who never started a game....really no comparison what so ever. Hey, I hope Maybin gets on the field and sets the world on fire but so far it looks like we TOTALLY screwed that choice up.

Two things

If he already plays in cold weather and does it well doesn't that prove that he is ALREADY tough enough to play in Buffalo? This isn't rocket science. If he is already aclimated that is a plus for him vs an unkown who may never adapt.

Please do your home work. I see that crap statement all the time....players from school XYZ suck, are maxed out, don't make good NFL prospects, etc. Don't be lazy. Do your homework. Judge prospects on their individual talents. Don't take the easy way out and just make snap judgments based on the school they went to.

I agree with your general point about judging players individually but you do need to look at the system and how past players did at the next level. Florida QBs that played for Spurrier sucked in the NFL. Texas Tech QBs have sucked at the next level. Brady Quinn had very good #s in his one year under Weis and so far (not totally his fault) has sucked in the pros. IMO, it should definitely be part of evaluating any Notre Dame QB. Weis is very good with QBs.

I don't like either guy really as a franchise guy. I'd lean more towards Clausen but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled with him at #9 either. I'd like Lefevour in hopefully the 3rd or find a QB another way (FA, trade, or wait til next year's draft).

I know remember Rick Mirer setting the world on fire but double digit sacks for a rookie DE/LB vs our guy who never started a game....really no comparison what so ever. Hey, I hope Maybin gets on the field and sets the world on fire but so far it looks like we TOTALLY screwed that choice up.

Yeah, the main point was it is silly to judge players after one season. BO had a good season and AM did nothing. The Redskins still sucked and Maybin was the 2nd youngest player in the league last year. I don't know if he will amount to anything but I'll give the man more than one season to show what he has.

I agree with your general point about judging players individually but you do need to look at the system and how past players did at the next level. Florida QBs that played for Spurrier sucked in the NFL. Texas Tech QBs have sucked at the next level. Brady Quinn had very good #s in his one year under Weis and so far (not totally his fault) has sucked in the pros. IMO, it should definitely be part of evaluating any Notre Dame QB. Weis is very good with QBs.

I don't like either guy really as a franchise guy. I'd lean more towards Clausen but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled with him at #9 either. I'd like Lefevour in hopefully the 3rd or find a QB another way (FA, trade, or wait til next year's draft).

You bring up a good point. You should definitely look at the system a guy played in, the talent he was surrounded by and the level of competition that he played against. That being said I just think it is a cop out to use the school name. Coaches changes, supporting cast talent changes and level of competition changes. Those need to be evaluated on a year to year basis not just the old...."this guy came from school XYZ so he will suck".

Yeah, the main point was it is silly to judge players after one season. BO had a good season and AM did nothing. The Redskins still sucked and Maybin was the 2nd youngest player in the league last year. I don't know if he will amount to anything but I'll give the man more than one season to show what he has.

We have no choice but to give him more than one season. I hear ya. My point basically was that at first blush it appears that we made not just a bad choice but an INCREDIBLY bad choice. If Orakpo doesn't get any better and just does what he did his rookie year for the rest of his career he will be a sure fire hall of famer and be considered one of the best ever at his position.

That being said I hope and expect Maybin will become a contributor this year. I even have his rookie jersey. I also speculated early last season that perhaps we got Maybin in the draft with full expectation that we would be moving to a 3-4 in 2010. Brilliant insight or lucky guess? It doesn't matter. We will get our best chance to see what it is that Maybin can offer the Bills this year. I hope the kid becomes a star!

You bring up a good point. You should definitely look at the system a guy played in, the talent he was surrounded by and the level of competition that he played against. That being said I just think it is a cop out to use the school name. Coaches changes, supporting cast talent changes and level of competition changes. Those need to be evaluated on a year to year basis not just the old...."this guy came from school XYZ so he will suck".

Agreed, though I think this matters more to QBs than other positions. Can't prove it but I believe Orakpo dropped in the draft because Texas players have been big busts at the NFL level.

Agreed, though I think this matters more to QBs than other positions. Can't prove it but I believe Orakpo dropped in the draft because Texas players have been big busts at the NFL level.

You could be right. It was almost unfathomable to me how we chose Maybin the 3/4 year wonder over O-sack-po. If he dropped in the draft due to people making snap judgments based on what school he came from this is EXACTLY the danger that we face dismissing Bulaga because he is from Iowa.

You could be right. It was almost unfathomable to me how we chose Maybin the 3/4 year wonder over O-sack-po. If he dropped in the draft due to people making snap judgments based on what school he came from this is EXACTLY the danger that we face dismissing Bulaga because he is from Iowa.

True, but Texas players have be out right busts. I also think Gholston (muscle bound guy who relied mainly on physical abilites) hurt BO as well. Robery Galley hasn't been the player Oakland thought but 1) it's Oakland and 2) he still is a solid NFL olinemen.