Left tackle

bkc

There is enough O-line talent currently on the roster w/ Bell, Meredith, Scott. They just need to stay healthy and hopefully our new strength and conditioning coaches can help remedy the problems there. I think the Bills should go McClain with first pick, best run stopping DT in second, and if he is still there Lefevour.

I would like to see us bring in a vet and then draft a LT in one of the first 3 rounds. I don't see Bell, Meredith or Scott being the answer on the left side.

Bell did not even play football in high school. He is going into his 3rd year he is still almost as green as a player like Bulaga would be ... That kid has been playing football his entire life. Bell seems mentally weak and had huge problems with snap counts, linning up onsides, crowd noise, etc. I want to be wrong and I hope he turns into a stud at LT.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is another thing, NO LT in this draft is a pure lock down, leave on an island LT. there is no Pace, Boscelli etc in this draft. If there was then so be it.

Also Nix was able to draft a stud LT in SD in the 2nd round. And again only TWO of the teams in the playoffs had a 1st round LT.

I believe that Okung is a lock down, stand alone guy. Reminds me of Joe Thomas actually. Not a run game bruiser but a great pass blocker. He wont make it out of the top 5. Im still liking Bulaga, he can handle the bull rushers and maul in the run game.

Soooooooo working our way around to this topic.....

If the elite talent isnt there but depth is.......wouldn't a swap of 1st round picks with Phili for McNabb make sense?

hmmmmmm

Sure, if McNabb wanted to play for a team which has almost nothing at OT, is in an all-out rebuilding mode, and probably won't be in the playoffs next season.

Besides, he's dealt with a bevy of injuries these past few seasons.

There is enough O-line talent currently on the roster w/ Bell, Meredith, Scott. They just need to stay healthy and hopefully our new strength and conditioning coaches can help remedy the problems there. I think the Bills should go McClain with first pick, best run stopping DT in second, and if he is still there Lefevour.
uhhh, no. Lord, I hope the coaches think differently then you do or next season is a wash.

The talent on this Bills roster is very lacking, if they were all healthy all season you would notice that. Currently the Bills have a starting center and guard, aside from that everything could be upgraded.

If anything is going to help the rest of the Bills line players it might be the new line coach and OC.

Then Trade down if Bradford isn't there. Look Kirwin is on the radio because he sucked as the Jets GM. Gil Brandt through is the 'Godfather'. If he says they aren't up to par, you can put some serious stock in it.

Darth, I agree with you 100%. I'm a rutgers alum and had a chance to watch all of davis' games and I've said on here before that as much as I like Davis and want him to succeed in the NFL, I think his ideal position in the NFL is going to be at Guard. Davis imo isn't worth a 9.

Yeah and the addition of willis has got them to the playoffs how many times?

I infer from this that you don't think Willis is part of the solution in San Francisco. I hope not, because that would be awfully dumb. After all, he's arguably the best linebacker in the NFL.

McClain isn't going to be Willis, but he'll more than likely be damn good. The Bills need damn good players. They're lacking in that category.

If the elite talent isnt there but depth is.......wouldn't a swap of 1st round picks with Phili for McNabb make sense?

hmmmmmm

THAT I would do in a heartbeat....so that must mean it'd never happen. We'd have to kick in something else.

There is enough O-line talent currently on the roster w/ Bell, Meredith, Scott.

Enough for a Double AA division college program, maybe. Not for the pros, though. Not one single pro starter caliber LT there, and it's seriously questionable whether there is even a legitimate 2nd string LT there.

hmmmmmm

If elite talent (read: talent the Bills want) is not there at #9, trade down. Under no circumstances does swapping our first with Philly for McNabb make sense.

Then Trade down if Bradford isn't there. Look Kirwin is on the radio because he sucked as the Jets GM. Gil Brandt through is the 'Godfather'. If he says they aren't up to par, you can put some serious stock in it.

Yup. Gil Brandt is the man.

Also Nix was able to draft a stud LT in SD in the 2nd round. And again only TWO of the teams in the playoffs had a 1st round LT.

:-) Suddenly Nix was responsible for everything in SD? I seem to remember a guy named John Butler.

The reason that most of the playoff teams didn't have a 1st round LT is simply that they have been too good for too long. The first round LTs go in the top 10 and teams that are consistently good don't get the chance to get one. (And no, Oher is not an exception, he is an excellent RT, who played a game or two at LT and wasn't particularly good.) But when good organizations have the chance and the need, they are willing to do it.

The Colts picked Tarik Glenn in the first round the year before they picked Manning.

The Steelers picked Marvel Smith early in the second (#38), but didn't draft Roethlisberger till 2003 when Smith was already a seasoned vet.

When you get a later round LT, you often have to allow for one to three years for him to grown into the position and become good. The process can be sped up (as it can for any OL) if you plug them into an already solidly gelled OL with lots of veteran savvy. Have we got that in Buffalo, um, no, not exactly.

So take a RT Levitre can play LT along with Bell.

The only thing that might make you think that Levitre can play LT would be that he played it well in college and was not outplayed by any other of our LTs in two relief appearances in Buffalo.

Extremely few college LTs manage to become NFL LTs. Good ones are a rare breed. And yeah, in Buffalo, Bell didn't outplay him at LT, but Bell was likely the single worst LT to see the field in the NFL last year. If Levitre had been good at LT last year, they would already have moved him. He has a chance to be a very good guard with some experience, but as an LT, not so much.

Yeah and the addition of willis has got them to the playoffs how many times?

One player doesn't get you anywhere unless he is Peyton Manning. That is a horrible argument.

Willis was and is an impact player. Any time you have a chance to get one, you do it. Great players don't elevate a lousy team. When you have a few lousy guys on a team, good teams will find a way to attack them, and even good players will not help a team get to the playoffs in that situation. It is when you have no serious holes, you have a guy who is at least decent at every position, that suddenly the impact players have a chance to make game-breaking plays and elevate the team.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of taking McClain unless Clausen, the top 3 LTs and maybe even Bradford are all gone before we pick.

But that is a horrible argument. If you really go by it, you should be willing to get rid of Byrd, because after all, we had him on the team yet we didn't make the playoffs. Horrible argument.

And here is another thing, NO LT in this draft is a pure lock down, leave on an island LT. there is no Pace, Boscelli etc in this draft. If there was then so be it.

Actually, the top 2 guys stand a very good chance of being exactly that type of guy. But they will be gone by the time we pick.

Top ten selections are supposed to be instant contributers. with the exception being QB

Unless you're convinced that a guy will definitely help in the long run. When you're rebuilding, you have the slight luxury of building for the future rather than next year.

Gil Brandt was on Siruis Nfl radio this morning and dropped a few tidbits about this years Tackle class.

He said he thought both A davis and Buluga are Right tackles in the Nfl. He also bashed Campbell , bascially saying he ws no were worthy of a high draft pick.

If he is correct this throws a big monkey wrench in the thought that the left tackle would come from this draft class.

In addition Pat Kirwin kind of dismissed both qbs as fran kaliber.

Doesn't throw a wrench in at all. It's just his opinion. The OT could come from the 4th round or be an undrafted FA. Or Campbell could be great. At the end of the day they practice and play the game to determine who can do what; not advise draft guru's pre-draft breakdowns.