Expect The Bills To Use The Pistol Offense

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills' defense got whooped by KC in '08 when they were using that formation as I recall.

My wife and I were at the game in KC and the Bills smoked the chiefs. The stadium was empty by the 3rd quarter and the only fans left by fourth quarter were Bills fans.

My wife and I were at the game in KC and the Bills smoked the chiefs. The stadium was empty by the 3rd quarter and the only fans left by fourth quarter were Bills fans.

The Bills did whoop the Chiefs, they scored over 50, bit the Chiefs offense also had their was with the Bills D as they put up over 30 points. The game itself was basically featured two crap teams, who each had their best offensive days of the year. The pistol offense could maybe work in very small doses, but as a base offense in the cold Northeast you can forget about it.

This is absolute speculation - but, I have had a hunch for awhile now that the Bills are going to go after Tim Tebow. If Bradford falls to them at nine, they probably would grab him, though. I don't think they expect Bradford to be available, and I think they believe they'll have a chance to steal a franchise QB in round 2. I've mentioned this once before, but, the pistol offense would be ideal for Tebow's strengths. He's got work to do no matter where he goes, but, Gailey's entire offense staff, as mentioned by the post-er, seems designed for Tebow. Throw in Nix's desire for a track record of success at high school and college levels, Gailey's statement that he'll design an offense to fit his players strenghts (pistol would be nice here, especially for our O-line), Tebow's huge following, he does have a strong arm, (F.O. splash) and Kelly has dropped his name, and he is close enough to Ralph to offer suggestions. I'd look forward to seeing Tebow in Buffalo merely because of his potential.

This is absolute speculation - but, I have had a hunch for awhile now that the Bills are going to go after Tim Tebow. If Bradford falls to them at nine, they probably would grab him, though. I don't think they expect Bradford to be available, and I think they believe they'll have a chance to steal a franchise QB in round 2. I've mentioned this once before, but, the pistol offense would be ideal for Tebow's strengths. He's got work to do no matter where he goes, but, Gailey's entire offense staff, as mentioned by the post-er, seems designed for Tebow. Throw in Nix's desire for a track record of success at high school and college levels, Gailey's statement that he'll design an offense to fit his players strenghts (pistol would be nice here, especially for our O-line), Tebow's huge following, he does have a strong arm, (F.O. splash) and Kelly has dropped his name, and he is close enough to Ralph to offer suggestions. I'd look forward to seeing Tebow in Buffalo merely because of his potential.

Tebow doesnt have the skills to play QB in the NFL, if you want a spread guy to run the "pistol", which there's no guarentee we will run, the you better get Dan Lefevour.

oh great, the water pistol offense...

Does this mean Gailey will try and run a high powered passing offense with basically the same personnel Jauron used, only without TO?

Perhaps the Bills will trade away their draft picks for a QB that can run for his life like Trent Edwards did last season, seems to me they will need those picks to draft for the new 3-4 defense. :unsure:

I think they switched to the pistol after everything else failed. I think he will be looking to build a more traditional offense . He did say he he wanted a big arm and running was a key . Personally I am against gimmicks they tend to have a short shelf life

Just like the spread? The shotgun? the triple option? the run and shoot? and hte West Coast? there was a time when those were just gimmiks. We should just continue to run a boring offense like everyone else in the NFL

I agree.......and I am not going to cry if Bradford ends up being the pick......they guy makes quick reads and was a winner in college

That is actually something the bills haven't tried in a while.....taking a QB from a big time college program who put up big numbers.......we keep taking these lesser school QB's and hope they work out

Brett Favre Southern Mississippi

Tony Romo Eastern Illinois

Joe Flacco Delaware

Ben Roethlisberger Miami (Ohio)

Philip Rivers North Carolina St.

Jay Cutler Vanderbilt

Drew Brees Purdue

Kurt Warner Northern Iowa

I know most discussions on this board wind up in either or type arguments. But big name programs don't always produce big time NFL talent, even at QB. But if you're going to find a solid starter, look for them in Round 1 or 2. That is, unless playing the lottery is a talent.

The Bills did whoop the Chiefs, they scored over 50, bit the Chiefs offense also had their was with the Bills D as they put up over 30 points. The game itself was basically featured two crap teams, who each had their best offensive days of the year. The pistol offense could maybe work in very small doses, but as a base offense in the cold Northeast you can forget about it.

Why does the northeast make a difference? Nevada uses it and they have the top running offense in the NCAA. It also doesn't require a bunch of deep passes. It's just a midufued shotgun that leads to better playaction and quick reads by the QB. Explpain how being the Notheast makes a difference.

Anyway, The patsies play in the Northeast and they have had the top passing offense.

When the Miami Dolphins traded a fifth-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for quarterback Tyler Thigpen in late September, it didn't make a dent in the NFL landscape, except to those connoisseurs of interesting offensive formations. In 2008, the Coastal Carolina alum ran 359 of his 420 snaps from the shotgun formation for Kansas City, an extreme 85 percent, even for a league heading more to the shotgun every year. Kansas City's offensive ace in the hole last season was the Pistol formation, which offensive coordinator Chan Gailey superimposed on his struggling offense. Invented by Chris Ault of the Nevada Wolfpack, the Pistol is a short shotgun formation with a halfback behind the quarterback and an H-back or blocking fullback outside. It's an interesting way to apply wide-open concepts without losing the blocking stability that is so necessary in the NFL.

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?p=911651

the pistol is just a FORMATION, not a scheme. Just like the shotgun, ace, I-formation, etc. It doesnt dictate how or what you run, it;s just a formation.

Out of the shotgun, you can run spread schemes, options, draws, etc. So if the bills line up in pistol, who cares? what they do w/ it matters.

the pistol is just a FORMATION, not a scheme. Just like the shotgun, ace, I-formation, etc. It doesnt dictate how or what you run, it;s just a formation.

Out of the shotgun, you can run spread schemes, options, draws, etc. So if the bills line up in pistol, who cares? what they do w/ it matters.

Agreed, the advantages of the pistol are: A balanced position to run from, Great playaction fakes due to QB turning his back, and easier for a running QB to get out, if they choose. it has the same pasing concepts as every other offense.

to those that watch it in college it is used a variety of ways, power running, passing, option and misdirection. I would like to see it because it is different. This is why I've decided that I will like Gailey as he designs interesting plays and offensive concepts.