Trade Evans (for Brandon Marshall) and trade Schobel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans is a good player who shows up every day, but he can be covered. Marshall can't be covered, but he doesn't show up every day.

Tough call. I'd say get a guy who can get him the ball, keep him upright, then figure out who "him" is. Even the best WR's only touch the ball 8-10 times a game.

Up until Trent got creamed against Adrian Wilson, Trent was hitting Evans with passes of 40+ yards or more. Even with JP, Evans was not getting consistent numbers every week.

As far as snow goes, I guess you forgot about the Blizzard game in Cleveland where we lost 8-0 and we still had a chance to make the playoffs going into that game. What's your comeback gonna be on that one, "It wasn't played in Buffalo!?"

Marshall has had 3 seasons in a row where he had 100 receptions or more, we need a guy like that can consistently make the catches and get first downs.

Great posts keep them coming! :w00t:

Lee Evans you keep. I would like for him to vocal and demand the football more. Would have better numbers if he had a Better QB and OLineman.

Schobel retires IMO unless Nix and Bob Sanders can talk him out of it. If you trade him it has to be to a contender and we better get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him because we would have to draft his replacement.

As far as snow goes, I guess you forgot about the Blizzard game in Cleveland where we lost 8-0 and we still had a chance to make the playoffs going into that game. What's your comeback gonna be on that one, "It wasn't played in Buffalo!?"

Dude, you tried to make an argument that playing in Buffalo is a reason why Evans isn't right for us. It made no sense, was backed up by no evidence, and clearly your only example has nothing to do with us playing in buffalo. It could have been the San Diego Chargers visiting the Browns that weekend. Being in Buffalo has no effect.

Evans would be a great #2 receiver to a bigger, more physical WR, like how Price was to Moulds, but some people are so blind to see that. Once receivers like Evans and Price lose their speed, they're done.

If Evans is a #2, why would Denver trade us on of the elite receivers in the league for him, especially considering his salary?

Schobel says he wants to play closer to home, plus he has the 2nd highest salary on the team and is getting older. He did have a rebound season, but can he keep it up and how will the transition to the 3-4 affect his game? I'd say try and make a trade with Houston or Dallas, that way he can be close to home. Since we're transitioning to a new defense and basically are rebuilding this team, I'd rather go with a younger, faster guy that will be around longer than Schobel. (Just my opinion)

Evans has not been able to put up consistent numbers since he's been here. One week, he'll have over 100 yards receiving, then followed by 2, 3 or 4 games where he's lucky to put up 40 to 50 yards. You don't pay a guy $9+ million a year to be a #2 receiver. Granted, we haven't had solid play at QB, but Evans is a short, speedy WR, once the speed is gone, they're not that useful (look at Peerless Price). Plus, in bad weather/snowy games, the snow takes away the speed, so you should go with a big physical WR. I'd like to see the Bills trade Evans for Brandon Marshall, Marshall is not happy in Denver and would be a upgrade over Evans. As a matter of fact, they should trade or cut loose Parrish as well. We have James Hardy & Stevie Johnson on the team, and we haven't been able to get a good look at those guys, so if the Bills decided to turn the page on Reed & Parrish, I would have no problem with that.

I for one agree with you. I really like Evans. Ive met the guy a few times. Hes a great guy to be around and hes good for this football team. But you dont pay a guy all the money you are paying him to put up his numbers. He is a severe dissapointment. IMO, he is a #2 WR at best. The Bills, and the Fans love him too much to see it, but hes really not that good. Your point on his weekly breakdown is 100% accurate. I dont care who his QB's have been. He had TO on the other side of him this year and he was still shut down. He is easily defendable IMO. He can run fast, beat the defender deep and thats it. He is not powerful enough to succeed as a #1. A true #1 makes the defense change the way they play, and will still put up big plays. You dont see guys like Brandon Marshall complaining about his stats because he had Orton thowing him the Ball. Dominant WR's can do it with anyone throwing them the ball. Calvin Johnson before Stafford is a perfect example of that. We made a bad choice resigning Evans to that huge deal.

Here's Evans stats

2009: 44 Rec, 612 yds, 7 TDs

2008: 63 Rec, 1017 yds, 3 TDs

2007: 55 Rec, 849 yds, 5 TDs

2006: 82 Rec, 1292 yds, 8 TDs

2005: 48 Rec, 743 yds, 7 TDs

2004: 48 Rec, 843 yds, 9 TDs

I'm sorry, but you don't pay someone $9+ million a year for 44 Receptions and 612 yards. I would much rather have Brandon Marshall anyday over Lee Evans. IMO, the only coach who knew how to properly use Evans was Mularkey. Mularkey had Evans lined up all over the field to get him open. I'm not saying Evans is a bad player, but he's definitely not worth the money he's getting. I'd rather see the Bills go with a bigger, more physical WR in Marshall than Evans. Yes, our QB's have sucked, but Orton is no better and look at the numbers Marshall had with him.

You don't think you pay someone $9 million for that kind of production, but think another team will??????

Up until Trent got creamed against Adrian Wilson, Trent was hitting Evans with passes of 40+ yards or more. Even with JP, Evans was not getting consistent numbers every week.

Marshall has had 3 seasons in a row where he had 100 receptions or more, we need a guy like that can consistently make the catches and get first downs.

Evans has never had a good QB in his pro career, period

to your 8-0 point i believe there was under 100 yds passing in the entire game by both teams. Thats the most extreme example. We lost 8-0 because there was a foot of snow on the ground, WTF is Masrhall gona do in that situation that Evans cant, please enlighten me.

Cutler >>>>>>>Orton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bills QB on current roster

Denver Post editorial speculating on Marshall trade, or not:

With Marshall stuck in the purgatory of restricted free agency, the Broncos could tender him at the highest level, requiring compensation of first- and third-round draft choices from any team that signs him. If no team will pay that onerous price and the Broncos are unable to negotiate an acceptable trade, they could force Marshall to play for them in 2010 at a salary slightly in excess of $3 million, still well below his market value. That would be a prescription for more soap opera.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14361974

If a reciever averages 100 yrds a game thats 1600 yrds that doesn't happen often we need to fix the line and have the proper QB for the offense we run and then have another good reciever.

We need a guy like that and Lee Evans.

We tried a reciever who drops 100 passes a season now lets try one that catches that many Evans consistently gets open and QBs can't get the ball to him. So unless we get a QB that fits our system this won't matter much either.

So, then why would anyone want to trade for someone with a $9+ million a year contact and average numbers?

Those are hardly average #s.

42recs 553yrds 3tds 13games

60recs 1005yrds 8tds

Those are Randy Moss's #s in Oakland under similar conditions.

I for one agree with you. I really like Evans. Ive met the guy a few times. Hes a great guy to be around and hes good for this football team. But you dont pay a guy all the money you are paying him to put up his numbers. He is a severe dissapointment. IMO, he is a #2 WR at best. The Bills, and the Fans love him too much to see it, but hes really not that good. Your point on his weekly breakdown is 100% accurate. I dont care who his QB's have been. He had TO on the other side of him this year and he was still shut down. He is easily defendable IMO. He can run fast, beat the defender deep and thats it. He is not powerful enough to succeed as a #1. A true #1 makes the defense change the way they play, and will still put up big plays. You dont see guys like Brandon Marshall complaining about his stats because he had Orton thowing him the Ball. Dominant WR's can do it with anyone throwing them the ball. Calvin Johnson before Stafford is a perfect example of that. We made a bad choice resigning Evans to that huge deal.

:wallbash::lol:

Someone else that gets it too. It seems like everyone is in love with Evans and will use every excuse in the book to state why he hasn't had the success that other top WR's in the league have had.

Evans has never had a good QB in his pro career, period

to your 8-0 point i believe there was under 100 yds passing in the entire game by both teams. Thats the most extreme example. We lost 8-0 because there was a foot of snow on the ground, WTF is Masrhall gona do in that situation that Evans cant, please enlighten me.

Cutler >>>>>>>Orton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bills QB on current roster

I guess Bledsoe wasn't a good QB?!

In winter games like that, is the reason why you need big physical linemen, running backs and wide receivers to overpower the defense, which was my whole point to referencing the Cleveland game.

Wow, I guess people can't read? I said trade EVANS for MARSHALL

How is trading Evans for Marshall leaving any holes?

Here are the stats for Evans and Marshall:

Evans stats

2009: 44 Rec, 612 yds, 7 TDs

2008: 63 Rec, 1017 yds, 3 TDs

2007: 55 Rec, 849 yds, 5 TDs

2006: 82 Rec, 1292 yds, 8 TDs

2005: 48 Rec, 743 yds, 7 TDs

2004: 48 Rec, 843 yds, 9 TDs

Marshall's stats:

2009: 101 Rec, 1120 yds, 10 TDs

2008: 104 Rec, 1265 yds, 6 TDs

2007: 102 Rec, 1325 yds, 7 TDs

2006: 20 Rec, 309 yds, 2 TDs

It's clear that Marshall can produce consistently. Even with the Broncos going from Cutler to Orton, Marshall's numbers didn't drop off much. I'd much rather have Marshall than Evans.

I like Marshall's talent but we would still need another WR to compliment him. Denver had a better Defense, O-Line and QB than we did last year and with all of Marshall's production they were 8-8. On top of that, Brandon Marshall is one more off the field issue away from a league suspension. We could then end up with no one. The Buffalo Bills need to add talent not trade player for player.

I like Marshall's talent but we would still need another WR to compliment him. Denver had a better Defense, O-Line and QB than we did last year and with all of Marshall's production they were 8-8. On top of that, Brandon Marshall is one more off the field issue away from a league suspension. We could then end up with no one. The Buffalo Bills need to add talent not trade player for player.

I'd rather have a guy, who for the past 3 years has had over 100 receptions and over 1000 yards receiving. I like Lee Evans, he makes some really awesome plays, but they're too few and far between. Yes, everyone can point the finger at the QB situation and the O-line, but great receivers can get the job done regardless and Marshall has shown that this past year with Orton. IMO, Evans is a #2 receiver.

67-984-5 Johnson 44-612-7 Evans IMO not that much Difference I would give up even the kitchen sink for Stafford. I will say johnson may be a little better than Evans