If you could have any job you want

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that has remained in the mix is owning my own small bar/restaurant.

:w00t:

Assuming you locate in an area where the smoking Nazis can't impose their selfish will on a free public using a legal (and obscenely taxed) product, I will be your Resident Barfly. Witty, punny, earthy yet urbane, bad teeth but winning smile, pleasingly homely, well-read yet not condescending, able to genuinely enjoy conversation with all walks of life, able to mimic without insult any and all ethnicity or national origin, etc.

The position of Resident Barfly is a sacred endeavor. I will increase your trade. In exchange, I expect a minimum of 3 free cheap beers per attendance.

The position of Resident Barfly is a sacred endeavor. I will increase your trade. In exchange, I expect a minimum of 3 free cheap beers per attendance.

You got that right, Cincy.

I'll put you on the short list.

Assuming you locate in an area where the smoking Nazis can't impose their selfish will on a free public using a legal (and obscenely taxed) product, I will be your Resident Barfly. Witty, punny, earthy yet urbane, bad teeth but winning smile, pleasingly homely, well-read yet not condescending, able to genuinely enjoy conversation with all walks of life, able to mimic without insult any and all ethnicity or national origin, etc.

Inspiring. I now aspire.

You got that right, Cincy.

I'll put you on the short list.

I top that list. The holder of the Resident Barfly title has to be a sufferer of competing, disparate mental tics - abject humility and egomania. His talent is the control of same, never used to lord things over, but to be a wise solon.

Until the beers kick in, then the wise solon becomes as goofy as the rest of the sots that stumble in. :w00t:

Owner of a take-out wing joint, something unassuming, near one of the local colleges, if all goes well, open at the other colleges nearby. Small area for eat-in clients, open 11 AM - 1-2 AM, I know its a lot of work, little pay and 2 years before you get your head above water, but I enjoy hard work and little pay, been doing that for years!

The alternative was male gigolo, but I don't see a way to franchise that business.....

Sports Illustrated photographer (and not JUST Swimsuit Edition, either)

I know a guy that has gotten his photos in SI. Here's one recent photo he got, look at where the legs are on #32.

The alternative was male gigolo, but I don't see a way to franchise that business.....

You would need a very specific franchise agreement that they meet your standards.

A few years back, when the ESPN show "Dream Job" was on the air, one of the best sportswriters I know wrote a column about his decision to stay the editor at a small-town newspaper instead of taking a high-profile beat job at a major metro. His reasoning: he loved the area, he didn't want to live in a big city, and he'd rather continue to report and write about a variety of topics than lock himself into the grind of covering one team. As I read the piece, I thought, "yeah, that DOES sound like a 'dream job.'"

I've learned a little more about it since then. Things that weren't in the column -- the long hours he spends on the road or working the desk, the 60-70 hour weeks during football season, the low pay for those starting out in the business. (And that was before the bottom fell out of the newspaper industry.)

And yet ... watching a game, talking to the coaches and players afterward, and turning those observations into something I hope will both inform and entertain our readers, is the coolest thing I've ever done. If I could figure out how to make it a full-time job and still pay the bills, I'd jump at the chance, even if it meant taking a good-sized pay cut from my current job.

I realize that's not nearly as noble as what you're thinking about, Jim. If you decide to follow through on your idea, I wish you the best of luck.

I actually love my current job,

but if I could do anything:

- be a pilot (always have been fascinated by airplanes)

- be a fly fishing guide ( I absolutely love to fish, love to teach novices how to do it, and have been told I'm quite good at it.)

They are both equally ranked, one is no better than the other.

I actually love my current job,

but if I could do anything:

- be a pilot (always have been fascinated by airplanes)

- be a fly fishing guide ( I absolutely love to fish, love to teach novices how to do it, and have been told I'm quite good at it.)

They are both equally ranked, one is no better than the other.

It's very easy to combine the two here in Alaska. In fact it's common.

It's very easy to combine the two here in Alaska. In fact it's common.

Yeah, I know. And the fact that you revealed that you are a pilot in Alaska has me very very jealous.

Best flight in my life was from Talkeetna to the Kahiltna Glacier on a Denali expedition. What a ride.

I would love to own a brewery/smokehouse/bakery/cheesery/restaurant....i have envisioned it in an italian style villa house on a lot of land. i know that kind of business requires a ton of money and long hours, but i think i would love to be able to do all that stuff, all day, every day....ahhh dreams

Sounds terrific. Of course at the end of a year I would weigh 300+ Lbs. Gotta quality ck the product, after all :wallbash: