Polian's weakness

Pozitive51

There is no question in my mind that Bill Polian is one if not the greatest GM in NFL history. His Bills and Colts teams were dominant for almost an entire decade. However, I think his biggest flaw is his ability to pick a great coach. Levy was a great leader and kept the personalities of the Bills teams in check. However, he was not the best at constructing a gameplan and was often outcoached especially in the big game. Dungy was the same, they beat a weak Chicago team with QB that basically gave the game away. The Colts were again outcoached last night.

As great as Polian is at picking a talented roster, he doesnt seem to put enough stock in having the best coach. I admire his loyaly, but there is a good arguement that not having the stones to pull the trigger on a coach that doesnt maximize the players talent is Polian's biggest weakness.

There is no question in my mind that Bill Polian is one if not the greatest GM in NFL history. His Bills and Colts teams were dominant for almost an entire decade. However, I think his biggest flaw is his ability to pick a great coach. Levy was a great leader and kept the personalities of the Bills teams in check. However, he was not the best at constructing a gameplan and was often outcoached especially in the big game. Dungy was the same, they beat a weak Chicago team with QB that basically gave the game away. The Colts were again outcoached last night.

As great as Polian is at picking a talented roster, he doesnt seem to put enough stock in having the best coach. I admire his loyaly, but there is a good arguement that not having the stones to pull the trigger on a coach that doesnt maximize the players talent is Polian's biggest weakness.

I think we are nit picking here. He has coaches that are going to the superbowl. You can't overlook that.

The coaches don't play the game. The onside kick did not bounce off of the coaches hands. Nor did the coach throw the interception. The Saints took chances and took the game from the Colts.

I did think the Colt play calling at the half was very conservative and in agreement with you I do think they were outcoached or maybe I should say out executed, but no way do I put this on Polian's ability to pick a coach.

Dungy won against the best team the NFC had to offer and he beat some good AFC teams getting there. The Bears were a good team but only for a year.

I think we are nit picking here. He has coaches that are going to the superbowl. You can't overlook that.

The coaches don't play the game. The onside kick did not bounce off of the coaches hands. Nor did the coach throw the interception. The Saints took chances and took the game from the Colts.

I did think the Colt play calling at the half was very conservative and in agreement with you I do think they were outcoached or maybe I should say out executed, but no way do I put this on Polian's ability to pick a coach.

Dungy won against the best team the NFC had to offer and he beat some good AFC teams getting there. The Bears were a good team but only for a year.

The GM is responsible for the coach. Who is responsible for preparing the players. A couple bad coaching observations from last nights game.

- The decision to go conservative at the end of the half was poor.

- The decision to kick a 52 yard fg that was way out of range for his kicker was poor

- Similar to the 90 Bills, they abandoned the run when it was obviously working

- They should have called a TO before the 4th & goal at the end of the game

- They were outcoached.

One other note -- Nobody is giving the Saints kicker credit. Making three 40+ field goals in a SB is clutch!

The GM is responsible for the coach. Who is responsible for preparing the players. A couple bad coaching observations from last nights game.

- The decision to go conservative at the end of the half was poor.

- The decision to kick a 52 yard fg that was way out of range for his kicker was poor

- Similar to the 90 Bills, they abandoned the run when it was obviously working

- They should have called a TO before the 4th & goal at the end of the game

- They were outcoached.

One other note -- Nobody is giving the Saints kicker credit. Making three 40+ field goals in a SB is clutch!

Don't disagree with your points but the GM is not in the trenches when game planning or directly responsible for on field execution. The owner and GM's responsibility is indirect. Both teams looked quite prepared.

Let's face it the Colts and the Saints were clearly the two best teams all year long.

A time out before the 4th down play wouldn't have done much, I think the game was determind at that point.

I think it was a well played game. Three plays stand out. The onside kick, the missed field goal and the interception.

I don't put either one of these on the GM or coach, I thought it was poor execution from the Colts players.

I think the defense was lack luster on each side. It didn't seem that either defense was stopping the other team . That's why the onside kick was key because it kept the ball out Manning hands. A good coaching move.

I couldn't help but think of Norwood when the Saints kicker kicked the 47 yarder with confidence.

I am wondering, what would you have done in that situation as a head coach? It was 4th and 11 if I remember at the saints 34 yard line. Would you have punted the football or gone for it?

I am wondering, what would you have done in that situation as a head coach? It was 4th and 11 if I remember at the saints 34 yard line. Would you have punted the football or gone for it?

With Stover as the kicker I would have eliminated the kick option completely. With Manning as the QB and the Saints offense clicking... I would have gone for it.

To the point brought up by the OP, I've actually had the thought in the back of my mind that Polian's biggest shortcoming was his inability or reluctance to get a near dominanty team over the top. Almost reminds me of Darcy Regier in that way - puts it together 95% of the way, but can't make those fine adjustments to get the seperation.

Indy has been basically the same for the past ten years. WRs have come and gone and they have brought the new ones up to speed, but they have never had anything close to a dominant defense, nor even a defense that can wear teams down. They also still have problems along the oline (smallish type players), which hasn't been addressed. They keep resigning these players in the name of continuity and in most cases it works out, but they never seem to pull off the move that improves the team by leaps and bounds. They could use a few interior linemen on offense and some upgrades to their DTs and LBs (maybe a CB?).

They do draft well, but it seems like most of the time they are a play or player short. I guess you could chaulk it up to coaching (i.e. a better coach will get those guys into shape), but I feel like other teams that win big games aren't affraid to make some changes in the offseason in hopes that you can get over the hump. Something like the Pats getting Moss.

I don't buy into this...yes he puts together a talented roster...but once that whistle blow it's out of his hands...

Okay so he is in charge of choosing the HC...fine...but if they got to the Super Bowl then it's highly likely that they call a good game...

Bottom line = it's the players that make or break a Super Bowl

Think about it...if Payton didn't throw that pick or if that special teamer didn't let the football hit his helmet on national tv what would people say then...

Kota is 100% correct...take away that drop by Garson and he takes it to the house or at least for a big gain and the game is 17-3 in the 2nd quarter and every dynamic of the game changes. That is NOT coaching that is players not making plays. The balll hits a WR in the chest and he should catch it....it is that simple. The Colts were NOT outcoached. They did not make plays when they were there.