CBS Coverage of the Super Bowl

buckeyemike

I don't know what it is about CBS Sports, but I have never liked their NFL coverage. Well, since the days of Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, and Jimmy the Greek on the old NFL Today show.

I'm not a fan of Jim Nantz. I always think of the Masters when I hear him. Simms is very good (better than Troy Aikman, but still a distant second to Cris Collinsworth).

Can't stand the pregame show, though. Thoughts?

I don't know what it is about CBS Sports, but I have never liked their NFL coverage. Well, since the days of Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, and Jimmy the Greek on the old NFL Today show.

I'm not a fan of Jim Nantz. I always think of the Masters when I hear him. Simms is very good (better than Troy Aikman, but still a distant second to Cris Collinsworth).

if they put Gus Johnson in with the top crew it would be more exciting

buck and aikman are better

at what? being the most annoying personalities in the game?

Joe Buck is the most pompous, self-absorbed announcer I have ever had to listen to. His mock indignation at Randy Moss pantomiming mooning the crowd in GB was just pathetic.

And Aikman...too many concussions to actually make sense any more.

I don't watch the pregame show. I turned the game on about 610p.

I liked Simms and Nantz, and the laid back feeling of the actual game presentation.

I don't like the Fox broadcasts of events like this, as they go so over the top in visuals and sound, that they get in the way of the game for me.

CBS's broadcast seemed like it was focused on a normal game, but a big one. I liked it, not a lot of hype during the actual game.

Looked good on Simms when, just as he advised Gregg Williams not to blitz, the Saints D blitzed and Tracey Porter intercepted Manning, thus ending the game. Way to go, big mouth Phil. Great call.

Another point....Simms is a major HOMER....did you hear how he was setting up all of the Manning excuses towards the end of the game....and then he made the comment when Saints were up two TDs....."if the Saints are able to win this game....."

F. U. Phil Simms.... you sucked as a QB and now as a broadcaster....

I liked Simms and Nantz, and the laid back feeling of the actual game presentation.

I don't like the Fox broadcasts of events like this, as they go so over the top in visuals and sound, that they get in the way of the game for me.

CBS's broadcast seemed like it was focused on a normal game, but a big one. I liked it, not a lot of hype during the actual game.

I also thought the announcing was good.

Agreed on the graphics and noise - although, this being the SB, there was no need for that bottom update bar. I really wish that during the season, they'd drop that always-on status bar, and just show it now and again.

It was refreshing not to have a big event on Fox IMO. That alone made it better.

And someone let me know when they've ever watched a multi-hour pregame anything and didn't find it boring. Seems nearly impossible.

The thing I didn't like about CBS coverage was after the game. I saw the trophy presentation, but after that...? No MVP presentation, no coverage of the locker room with the champange, absolutely no coverage of New Orleans partying, hardly any interviews. Did I miss something?? I thought in games past they showed tons of after game celebration right in the locker room etc. Thoughts on this?? Kinda pissed me off actually.

The thing I didn't like about CBS coverage was after the game. I saw the trophy presentation, but after that...? No MVP presentation, no coverage of the locker room with the champange, absolutely no coverage of New Orleans partying, hardly any interviews. Did I miss something?? I thought in games past they showed tons of after game celebration right in the locker room etc. Thoughts on this?? Kinda pissed me off actually.

I wondered about that too... Did all that fall under the control of the NFL network?

i can't stand simms, aikman, or collinsworth. makes me actually miss hearing madden.

Madden was a great announcer if you had never seen a game before. If you like drinking a 55 calorie beer instead of Guinness he is your man,

Looked good on Simms when, just as he advised Gregg Williams not to blitz, the Saints D blitzed and Tracey Porter intercepted Manning, thus ending the game. Way to go, big mouth Phil. Great call.

I wasn't sure which one said that , but yeah, it was priceless. :thumbsup: