Floyd Little - HOF?

SouthernMan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Little

I remember him as a player for the Broncos. A shifty little guy who could catch the ball as good as most receivers. A pumped up version of the Bills Mini Max Anderson - who ironically had jersey number, 22, half of Little's 44 number.

But statistically, I don't see how he's even considered for the Hall - and now he's going to be inducted. OK, in 9 seasons he topped 1000 yards once - I'll give him that.

Good for him, but to me, he was just another "pretty good" back from the 60s-70s era.

Here's his rushing numbers from 67-75

381, 584, 729, 910, 1133, 859, 979, 312, 445 = total career rushing yards: 6,323 or around 700 per season. BFD!

Are there not dozens of players more deserving than Little? What am missing here?

I agree with you for the most part but keep in mind that stats back then are a lot less then what they are today. But when you look at the stats of rb's during the same era he is nothing spectacular so what you're saying is totally accurate and i have no idea why he is in the Hall as well :( . Ive never even heard of him before today :beer:

I remember him as a player for the Broncos. A shifty little guy who could catch the ball as good as most receivers. A pumped up version of the Bills Mini Max Anderson - who ironically had jersey number, 22, half of Little's 44 number.

But statistically, I don't see how he's even considered for the Hall - and now he's going to be inducted. OK, in 9 seasons he topped 1000 yards once - I'll give him that.

Good for him, but to me, he was just another "pretty good" back from the 60s-70s era.

381, 584, 729, 910, 1133, 859, 979, 312, 445 = total career rushing yards: 6,323 or around 700 per season. BFD!

Are there not dozens of players more deserving than Little? What am missing here?

I never considered him a real threat in the pros. He ran upright and went down very easily. As I remember it he would go down on first contact because of his running style.

I look at the HOF this way...do kids want to be X player when they grow up?

I've barely heard of Floyd Little and doubt that kids of that era (including myself) ever said "I want to run like Floyd Little when I grow up."

The HOF pulls favors all the time. I remember discussion in Dallas around Rayfield Wright getting into the HOF and how deserving he was...I never heard of him until his name came up in HOF talks. It reeks of cronyism.

if u saw him play youd know he is a HOFer. stats didnt mean that much in the old game.

I remember watching Floyd Little and he was an excellent running back, but I have to admit, I never thought of him as a Hall of Famer. I would have put him in the came class as backs like Chuck Forman, Calvin Hill, Chuck Muncie, etc., all oustanding players, but not HOFers. The voters are big on not putting in too many in one year from one position, although that has never made any sense to me.

I remember a game back in 1968 when he killed us in a 34-32 loss to the Broncos. It looked like he was going to be the goat because he fumbled in the fourth quarter setting up a Bills field goal with under a minute left. But seconds later he beat double coverage for a 59-yard reception, and the Broncos kicked the winning field goal with seconds left.

I think whoever the "senior committee" throws out there gets in nowadays.

Not always; Marshall Goldberg didn't make it last year.

Little shouldn't have. (And yeah, I saw him play.) Since he did, they'd better be prepared to put in Marshall Faulk AND Jerome Bettis AND Curtis Martin next year, because all three have a lot better argument than he did.

And I'll be submitting Lawrence McCutcheon's name to the Seniors Committee:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCuLa00.htm

Or perhaps Washington's Larry Brown:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowLa01.htm

Not always; Marshall Goldberg didn't make it last year.

Little shouldn't have. (And yeah, I saw him play.) Since he did, they'd better be prepared to put in Marshall Faulk AND Jerome Bettis AND Curtis Martin next year, because all three have a lot better argument than he did.

And I'll be submitting Lawrence McCutcheon's name to the Seniors Committee:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCuLa00.htm

Or perhaps Washington's Larry Brown:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowLa01.htm

Definately a questionable selection. Especially considering Reed, Carter and Brown all being much more HoF-worthy.

EDIT: And yes I'm aware of the senior committe. I just hate the HoF selection process.

The selection committee continues to embarrass themselves every year. It is definitely apparent that they have no clue when it comes to football history and its players. They continue to cheapen the Hall and it sickens me.

The selection committee continues to embarrass themselves every year. It is definitely apparent that they have no clue when it comes to football history and its players. They continue to cheapen the Hall and it sickens me.

Ken, I was hoping to get your take on this. I agree completely. Floyd was a nice player, but not HOF worthy. The Hall of Very Good strikes again.

I have no problem with the selection.

Little was a great player who, during his playing days, totaled the most all-purpose yards in pro football and ranked second only to O.J. in rushing yards over that period. He's one of only three players in NFL history with 6,000 career rushing yards and 3,000 career special-teams return yards. His eight years with at least 1,000 combined yards tied for second in league history at the time of his retirement. Remember, this was the days of the 14 game NFL season.

Beyond the stats, Little WAS the Broncos offense and ST.

I have no problem with the selection.

Little was a great player who, during his playing days, totaled the most all-purpose yards in pro football and ranked second only to O.J. in rushing yards over that period. He's one of only three players in NFL history with 6,000 career rushing yards and 3,000 career special-teams return yards. His eight years with at least 1,000 combined yards tied for second in league history at the time of his retirement. Remember, this was the days of the 12 game NFL season.

Beyond the stats, Little WAS the Broncos offense and ST. He was the Barry Sanders of his day, IMO.

I think that's the only sane way of viewing his selection. His RB stats don't seem to make him HOF worthy. At least they kept him out till the old timers wheeled him in.

I like Andre's chances next year.

1,000 yards was a very big deal back then. Not like today were it is just above average. Still, I am surprised that his stats aren't better. He was an excellent player and always a threat when on the field.

This shows you how huge OJ Simpson's 2,000 yard season actually was.