I bought the new U2

Pete

It takes me many listens to get a feel for an album so I cant completely judge it just yet. I like it so far but am disappointed the whole album is not more like Vertigo. I thought when U2 played I Will Follow on SNL that this album would be a lot more rockin and raw. I am a big U2 fan and still dig it- just expect the production that has been on the past few releases

It takes me many listens to get a feel for an album so I cant completely judge it just yet.  I like it so far but am disappointed the whole album is not more like Vertigo.  I thought when U2 played I Will Follow on SNL that this album would be a lot more rockin and raw.  I am a big U2 fan and still dig it- just expect the production that has been on the past few releases

131452[/snapback]

I loved their real old stuff (everything pre-Live At Red Rocks/Under A Blood Red Sky). I wasn't a big fan of The Unforgettable Fire or Joshua Tree, but when ZooRopa came out, they totally lost me.

I guess that, like you, I was hoping that they'd get back to their roots, and it sounds like they didn't. :blink:

That explains a lot.

U2 is about the gayest band there is.

131522[/snapback]

No, that would be Metallica.

No females in their fanbase, unless you count the sheep.

New U2 is great, though I do agree with Pete,

I wish it rocked a little harder like Vertigo.

New U2 is great, though I do agree with Pete,

I wish it rocked a little harder like Vertigo.

131584[/snapback]

You think Vertigo "rocks"????

Your definition of "rock music" is certainly different than mine.

131584[/snapback]

:blink:

Most who know me think I was the biggest Metal Head ever back in the day, but I never cared much for Metallica for whatever reason (mostly because of the Singers voice I guess)...But you may have hit on the REAL reason! Maybe I just never realized...

I remember seeing U2 open for Talas ( snicker ) in 1980. The minute U2 finished, we left.

Too each their own but after U2 produced Boy(1980),October(1981) and War (1983), they stopped making the good music I like. Sold their soul to pop mainstream and the almighty $$. Lost their edge ( pardon the pun). Hated their Brian Eno music. ( puke)

I remember seeing U2 open for Talas ( snicker ) in 1980. The minute U2 finished, we left.

Too each their own but after U2 produced Boy(1980),October(1981) and War (1983), they stopped making the good music I like. Sold their soul to pop mainstream and the almighty $$. Lost their edge ( pardon the pun). Hated their Brian Eno music. ( puke)

131742[/snapback]

Eno & Lanois aren't on the new one, Steve Lillywhite is back. Though it doesn't rock as hard as those 1st 3 albums he produced, some of the sound is a little similar... have to listen to it more.

Eno & Lanois aren't on the new onethe new one, Steve Lillywhite is back. Though it doesn't rock as hard as those 1st 3 albums he produced, some of the sound is a little similar... have to listen to it more.

131746[/snapback]

Lillywhite is very talented. The early U2 stuff was his. He gave careers to XTC and Ultravox. Did lots of work with the Psychedelic Furs. Then everyone wanted him. Bowie, Gabriel, The Smiths, the Stones ( Dirty Works ),Simple Minds, The Pogues. He was THE hot producer. Was married to the late Kirsty MacCool who did a nice album (Kite) .

The Vertigo commercial looks good. Was the followup music not as impressive ?

Too each their own but after U2 produced Boy(1980),October(1981) and War (1983), they stopped making the good music I like.

131742[/snapback]

The last U2 studio record I bought was War. That was a great one. After that I picked up Live At Red Rocks/Under A Blood Red Sky, another killer record, it really captured the rebellious Irish pseudo-punk attitude that was U2. Later a girfriend bought me one (Joshua Tree, I think), and I had it for all of 2 days. Never opened it (I'd heard 4-5 songs already), and gave it to a friend for his birthday.

Not that I wasn't appreciative of my then-girlfriend's gift, I was just advocating "recycling." :D

The Vertigo commercial looks good. Was the followup music not as impressive ?

131750[/snapback]

No, it's all great, it just doesn't rock as hard. To tell the truth, I'm finding it hard to listen to the rest of the album cause I keep going back to Vertigo.