February Positional Needs:

Astrobot

Tomorrow (SBSunday) I have to fill out the Bills' current thoughts on positional needs for DraftTek. A lot has happened since January--we hire a DC who sounds like he make changes to a 3-4 being the most significant. This does not diminish the needs on the offensive side of the ball but it might make our positional needs substantively different. But there's more than one way to skin a cat:

Argument for QB, LT, ILB/DT, DE, then OLB---Okung will be gone by pick 9, and so will Clausen, McClain, and Suh/McCoy. Berry and Haden might push Bulaga down to us; it's too early to draft Iupati / Williams. Let's say that Oakland takes Bulaga, and Bradford has shown that his shoulder's okay. Take Bradford here, ILB next, and get bookend tackles later. Bradford has the familiarity with the pro style offense, and has a better TD to INT ratio than Clausen, already taken by Cleveland at 7. Take Selvish Capers LT or Eric Norwood ILB in Round 2. I like Lamarr Houston DT in the RD3 better than Sean Lee ILB. There are more good DT's later--Syracuse's Arthur Jones could be there (but don't count on it).

Argument for DT or DE first---Dan Williams of Tennessee is a good 3-4 nose and certainly a value here, but Carlos Dunlap, Derrick Morgan, and Brandon Graham are all DE's worth a look, especially with the switch to the 3-4. I like Dunlap if we're definitely a base 3-4, but I like Morgan as a LDE if we're a hybrid. I watched Morgan have his way with Bulaga (who held a lot) in the Orange Bowl. I think we can find a good DT later than DE in this draft, even RD4 or 5, so I'd advise the DE position be addressed early if we don't think we have the player on the roster.

Argument for BPA---Trade Lynch and draft C.J. Spiller, RB from Clemson. He'll be the best player in year 1 at our pick. The other choice may be WR Dez Bryant, but I expect Al Davis won't be able to resist at the pick before ours. Taking the BPA is always advocated, but it dilutes the quality at need positions as you wait until RD2 to begin addressing them.

Argument for LT, then QB---Trent Williams of Oklahoma looks like he may be better at RT. Iupati is listed as a Guard, but many think capable of moving to LT. He played at Idaho, so the jury came in late on him. This approach, which we have pursued up to now, doesn't add new players to a 3-4 defense, so you have to keep that in mind.

Tomorrow (SBSunday) I have to fill out the Bills' current thoughts on positional needs for DraftTek. A lot has happened since January--we hire a DC who sounds like he make changes to a 3-4 being the most significant. This does not diminish the needs on the offensive side of the ball but it might make our positional needs substantively different. But there's more than one way to skin a cat:

Argument for QB, LT, ILB/DT, DE, then OLB---Okung will be gone by pick 9, and so will Clausen, McClain, and Suh/McCoy. Berry and Haden might push Bulaga down to us; it's too early to draft Iupati / Williams. Let's say that Oakland takes Bulaga, and Bradford has shown that his shoulder's okay. Take Bradford here, ILB next, and get bookend tackles later. Bradford has the familiarity with the pro style offense, and has a better TD to INT ratio than Clausen, already taken by Cleveland at 7. Take Selvish Capers LT or Eric Norwood ILB in Round 2. I like Lamarr Houston DT in the RD3 better than Sean Lee ILB. There are more good DT's later--Syracuse's Arthur Jones could be there (but don't count on it).

Argument for DT or DE first---Dan Williams of Tennessee is a good 3-4 nose and certainly a value here, but Carlos Dunlap, Derrick Morgan, and Brandon Graham are all DE's worth a look, especially with the switch to the 3-4. I like Dunlap if we're definitely a base 3-4, but I like Morgan as a LDE if we're a hybrid. I watched Morgan have his way with Bulaga (who held a lot) in the Orange Bowl. I think we can find a good DT later than DE in this draft, even RD4 or 5, so I'd advise the DE position be addressed early if we don't think we have the player on the roster.

Argument for BPA---Trade Lynch and draft C.J. Spiller, RB from Clemson. He'll be the best player in year 1 at our pick. The other choice may be WR Dez Bryant, but I expect Al Davis won't be able to resist at the pick before ours. Taking the BPA is always advocated, but it dilutes the quality at need positions as you wait until RD2 to begin addressing them.

Argument for LT, then QB---Trent Williams of Oklahoma looks like he may be better at RT. Iupati is listed as a Guard, but many think capable of moving to LT. He played at Idaho, so the jury came in late on him. This approach, which we have pursued up to now, doesn't add new players to a 3-4 defense, so you have to keep that in mind.

I think that NT has moved to one of the top 3 needs. I think you have to see how the picks fall as the Bills definitely

need LT, NT, QB, LB and WR help (assuming Owens and Reed are gone) . I am in the camp that thinks that they

should build the lines (including LB) before spending high picks on a QB. This team is not ready to compete for the playoffs next year and I think they should build the rest of the team and aim for a QB next year.

I think that NT has moved to one of the top 3 needs. I think you have to see how the picks fall as the Bills definitely

need LT, NT, QB, LB and WR help (assuming Owens and Reed are gone) . I am in the camp that thinks that they

should build the lines (including LB) before spending high picks on a QB. This team is not ready to compete for the playoffs next year and I think they should build the rest of the team and aim for a QB next year.

Using your draft order, something like this would be a dream draft:

RD1---LT--Bryan Bulaga Iowa

RD2---NT--Terrence Cody Alabama

RD3---QB--Tony Pike Cincinnati

RD4---LB--Willie Young North Carolina State

RD5---DE--Lindsey Witten ConnecticutWR

RD6---WR--Blair White Michigan State

RD7---FB--Dorin Dickerson Pittsburgh

I like round 1 & 2, take a receiver in round three (Shipley/Gilyard) and I think that looks great. I understand the need for a QB, but I don't see any of the QBs past Clausen & Bradford being any better prospects than Brohm and therefore not worth the draft choice. If Bradford is there at 9 however, I think you have to take him and look for your OT in the 3rd (Capers/Calloway).

Bulaga and Cody NICE...addresses OT/NT need...question is Cody sufficient...i read on another post that he's not a 3-down kind of guy...

RD3/4 I believe really depends what happens in the next 2-3 weeks...with coaching staff pretty much complete, evaluations can proceed and cuts will be made...then we will know if we go QB round 3, LB, or best available player...

stay tuned!

I like this draft, but I agree with the other poster that I would take Shipley over Pike.

With the intention of fixing as much as possible in year one and stopping the bleeding, I would say:

RD 1 - LT

RD 2 - NT (I would say perhaps Cam Thomas over Cody to ensure a guy that can not only play 3 downs, but NT and 5 Tech)

RD 3 - WR or LB

RD 4 - DE or OL

From RD 4 and on, getting a BPA or feeding the fronts offensively and defensively can ensure that despite not getting a QB this year, you have everything set to live with whatever we bring to camp for 2010. Then 2011 can focus on getting that QB.

I like your posts. This one reinforces the fact that we have too many needs to adequately address in one draft. Hopefully we can fill a few holes via free agency.

The change to a 3-4 does not sound like a good idea given that our current roster has so few players in the front 7 that can play it. Maybe that is something the Bills can do the following year while stockpiling some 3-4 talent this year?

I agree with what has been posted: LT, DT, LB, WR, are probably our greatest concerns, with the likelihood that we will pick up a quality starter for at least one of those positions through FA (my guess would be WR). QB I agree we need an upgrade, but lets either get a vet FA or wait until next year--the only way we improve through the draft is by taking a QB Round 1, and I really don't want to do that right now with all the other holes to fill--too high risk/reward right now. I agree, Bulaga, Cody, and then the BPA between WR/LB would be a great start.

Both Clausen and McClain aren't locks to go in the top 8.

As it stands right now, pre-free agency, the Bills needs in order of importance are: QB, LT, DE, NT, OLB, ILB, WR. Positional value is important, so is filling needs. The Bills should find themselves in a position to address one of their top needs with a great prospect, drafted at good value.

I'd like to know what game you were watching because I purposefully focused in on Bulaga to see how he did in that game and saw nothing of the sort. As a matter of fact, I watched him put Morgan on the ground atleast twice and one of those times was a flat out pancake block. The rest of the time, Morgan was lined up at LDE blowing up the RT they had on the field.

Excellent post. :unsure:

I was a strong proponent of the LT, QB or QB, LT strategy for the Bills this year. But after Gailey announced that we were switching to the 3-4, I'm in agreement that the DT/DE scenario is more rational. DE, Derrick Morgan would be an awesome selection at #9. He could practically start immediately.

We could draft LT/ILB in the second round and QB in the third and still get a really good QB prospect. Mel Kiper and the other pundits will probably stroke out if we don't select a LT by our second pick. But I believe drafting an ILB at this position would pay real dividends to lay the foundation of the new 3-4. Not paying and then trading Peters was stupid.

This second scenario is down the crapper if by some miracle Bradford drops to #9. I don't feel like you can pass him up.

What about OLB? The Bills 3/4 was great in large due to Bryce Paup. Between him and Bruce there a very strong pass rush. Imo, McClain could flourish in this role ala DeMarcus Ware. Or, he could do anything else they want.

Every season I scream for a first round offensive lineman, and I wouldn't be upset if we took one in April, but if McClain should happen to fall to us I see no choice; they should snatch him right up.

I'd like to know what game you were watching because I purposefully focused in on Bulaga to see how he did in that game and saw nothing of the sort. As a matter of fact, I watched him put Morgan on the ground atleast twice and one of those times was a flat out pancake block. The rest of the time, Morgan was lined up at LDE blowing up the RT they had on the field.

Ditto. Bulaga shut Morgan down on his side.

I agree with what has been posted: LT, DT, LB, WR, are probably our greatest concerns, with the likelihood that we will pick up a quality starter for at least one of those positions through FA (my guess would be WR). QB I agree we need an upgrade, but lets either get a vet FA or wait until next year--the only way we improve through the draft is by taking a QB Round 1, and I really don't want to do that right now with all the other holes to fill--too high risk/reward right now. I agree, Bulaga, Cody, and then the BPA between WR/LB would be a great start.

I actually would like to take a WR in this draft, as I have polled my fellow correspondents and looked at their positional needs, and WR is low on most teams' needs lists. Here is one WR from each round after RD2 that I would love to see in a Bills uni (subject to combine results, of course):

RD3-Jordan Shipley Texas

RD4-Mike Williams Syracuse

RD5-Danario Alexander Missouri (possession receiver), Shay Hodge Mississippi (featured)

RD6-Blair White Michigan State

RD7-Marcus Easley Connecticut