spread offense for Buffalo

Tsaikotic

ppl are saying Gailey will run a spread offense...what exactly is a spread offense and what does it entail?..do we have enough WR's to do this?..what do you think Buffalo needs to get to run this offense?...hehe, sorry..just wanted to pick your brains on this as I'm trying to do my mock draft and wondering if we have the necessary components for this offense they want to use...so far I see our WR's being Evans, Johnson, Hardy, Parrish and Reed...not sure if Parrish fits or will be kept...T.O will be gone most likely and Hardy is still a ?...I like Reed, but does he fit and/or stay?...From my understanding the spread is a 5 WR with no RB and the QB in shotgun...although I see more of a 4 WR with RB and QB in shotgun...but does this mean 4 actual WR's or just 4 receivers consisting of WR, TE and RB's?..if so, then it really doesn't sound all that different then just an offense..ok I sound stupid here, but I'd really like to know..thanx

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Tebow would be a start.

Tebow doesn't have an NFL arm to be the start of anything. Clausen would have the arm to run the spread, although even he is more suited to a Pro Style offense. If they do go to a spread offense, look for Vick or someone like him to come in.

Guest dog14787
again, i want a real offense with a real NFL caliber QB

The spread offense helps create one on one match ups, reduces blitzing and decreases the amount of formations a defense will try to run. In this day and age it allows the QB the ability to see and read the field more efficiently.

Trent Edwards has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, in my opinion he would excel in a spread offense.

Pats in a spread offense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pats-Eag...tadium_crop.jpg

Former Texas Coach Mike Leach/ mad scientist of football, incorporates his RB's and TE's into a spread offense in a way that is practically unstoppable when executed by the QB properly.

The spread offense helps create one on one match ups, reduces blitzing and decreases the amount of formations a defense will try to run. In my opinion in this day and age it also allows the QB the ability to see and read the field more efficiently.

Trent Edwards has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, in my opinion he would excel in a spread offense.

OH GOD

I think the running the spread would be a good idea. With max protection our receivers get mobbed and Edwards/Fitzpatrick get sacked or make stupid mistakes. The spread would do Edwards some good since he wants to get the ball out quickly, and could be behind a rookie LT (again...), and Thigpen (if they go that way) ran it in KC. I think we keep Josh Reed, he's not worth a whole lot elsewhere and is a decent possession receiver. I expect Gailey to move the WRs around a lot to try and get some favorable matchups (something the last regime would seldom if ever do). Hardy will be given his shot this year, Evans is going nowhere, and Parrish may finally become useful. I expect the fifth slot to actually go to Shawn Nelson who was used in that matter at Ole Miss, with Fred Jackson seeing his share at receiver as well. Let's not forget Stevie Johnson, I thought he was doing good before we lost him.

If that's the way it goes, I see the draft breaking down as follows:

1) LT (Bulaga or Campbell)/ILB (McClain if there because he can QB the defense for the next 6 years - PAY HIM!)

2) NT (Dan Williams or Odrick should be there, Cody may fall there)

3) LT/RG/OLB

4) whatever we missed in the first three rounds (probably a OG or OLB)

5) cheap yet speedy receivers

again, i want a real offense with a real NFL caliber QB

I don't understand this statement.....do the Colts not run a "real" offense? Maybe i am wrong but I think there is a huge misunderstanding of exactly what a spread offense is. Perhaps my eyes deceive me but it appears that the Colts, Vikings, Saints and Patriots (among others) run the spread. I know that Belichick and Gruden are both spending a great deal of time studying the spread.

Anyone care to point out which grind-it-out, two backs-two tights offense is succeeding in the NFL these days?

I think the running the spread would be a good idea. With max protection our receivers get mobbed and Edwards/Fitzpatrick get sacked or make stupid mistakes. The spread would do Edwards some good since he wants to get the ball out quickly, and could be behind a rookie LT (again...), and Thigpen (if they go that way) ran it in KC. I think we keep Josh Reed, he's not worth a whole lot elsewhere and is a decent possession receiver. I expect Gailey to move the WRs around a lot to try and get some favorable matchups (something the last regime would seldom if ever do). Hardy will be given his shot this year, Evans is going nowhere, and Parrish may finally become useful. I expect the fifth slot to actually go to Shawn Nelson who was used in that matter at Ole Miss, with Fred Jackson seeing his share at receiver as well. Let's not forget Stevie Johnson, I thought he was doing good before we lost him.

If that's the way it goes, I see the draft breaking down as follows:

1) LT (Bulaga or Campbell)/ILB (McClain if there because he can QB the defense for the next 6 years - PAY HIM!)

2) NT (Dan Williams or Odrick should be there, Cody may fall there)

3) LT/RG/OLB

4) whatever we missed in the first three rounds (probably a OG or OLB)

5) cheap yet speedy receivers

Williams won't be there, Odrick not a NT. Only hope would be if Cody falls due to his weight, but in that case do the Bills really want him because of this?

The spread offense helps create one on one match ups, reduces blitzing and decreases the amount of formations a defense will try to run. In my opinion in this day and age it also allows the QB the ability to see and read the field more efficiently.

Pats in a spread offense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pats-Eag...tadium_crop.jpg

Yes, he quickly threw to RBs and 3 yard WR patterns all day.

Guest dog14787
Yes, he quickly threw to RBs and 3 yard WR patterns all day.

The spread offense gives players like Lee Evans and Fred Jackson lots of open space to make big plays.

Basically - VERY basically - a 'spread offense' is an offensive package designed to make the defense defend the entire field; it could be thought of as a set of looks and play options designed to 'spread' the opponent's defense both horizontally and vertically, making them defend the entire field. In a spread offense the QB typically lines up in a shotgun formation, and either all offensive targets line up as receivers at the LOS, or one RB lines up in the backfield with 4 receivers at the LOS.

It's high-power, high-scoring offensive strategy typically used in college - Urban Meyer is one or the premier architects/disciples of 'the spread', and used it successfully with national championships with Chris Leak in 2006 and Tim Tebow in 2008. Mike Leach's Texas Tech teams ran a version of 'the spread' that some call the 'air raid' - almost exclusively pass-oriented - and led the NCAA in passing offense 6 of the past 8 seasons, placing 2nd the other two. At Florida, Meyer/Tebow used a package referred to as the 'spread option' where the QB can either pass, hand off to the RB, or run the ball himself, depending in his read.

(Most TSW experts will insist that 'the spread' will never work in the NFL, even though Urban Meyer's close friend Bill Belichick* has used a spread package with Tom Brady* & and the Patriettes* for years, with amazing success. Peyton Manning and the Colts frequently use a spread offense as well - just watch how many times Manning audibles this Sunday and puts all 5 targets at the LOS.)

ppl are saying Gailey will run a spread offense...what exactly is a spread offense and what does it entail?..do we have enough WR's to do this?..what do you think Buffalo needs to get to run this offense?...hehe, sorry..just wanted to pick your brains on this as I'm trying to do my mock draft and wondering if we have the necessary components for this offense they want to use...so far I see our WR's being Evans, Johnson, Hardy, Parrish and Reed...not sure if Parrish fits or will be kept...T.O will be gone most likely and Hardy is still a ?...I like Reed, but does he fit and/or stay?...From my understanding the spread is a 5 WR with no RB and the QB in shotgun...although I see more of a 4 WR with RB and QB in shotgun...but does this mean 4 actual WR's or just 4 receivers consisting of WR, TE and RB's?..if so, then it really doesn't sound all that different then just an offense..ok I sound stupid here, but I'd really like to know..thanx

No offense, but if you don't understand what the spread offense is, you probably should not be posting mock drafts...

Basically - VERY basically - a 'spread offense' is an offensive package designed to make the defense defend the entire field; it could be thought of as a set of looks and play options designed to 'spread' the opponents defense. In a spread offense the QB typically lines up in a shotgun formation, and either all offensive targets line up as receivers t the LOS, or one RB lines up in the backfield with 4 receivers at the LOS.

It's typically used in college - Urban Meyer is one or the premier architects/disciples of 'the spread', and used it successfully with national championships with Chris Leak in 2006 and Tim Tebow in 2008. Mike Leach's Texas Tech teams ran a version of 'the spread' that some call the 'air raid' - almost exclusively pass-oriented - and led the NCAA in passing offense 6 of the past 8 seasons, placing 2nd the other two. At Florida, Meyer/Tebow used a package referred to as the 'spread option' where the QB can either pass, hand off to the RB, or run the ball himself, depending in his read.

(Most TSW experts will insist that 'the spread' will never with in the NFL, even though Urban Meyer's close friend Bill Belichick* has used a spread package with Tom Brady* & and the Patriettes* for years, with amazing success. Peyton Manning and the Colts frequently use a spread offense as well - just watch how many times Manning audibles this Sunday and puts all 5 targets at the LOS.)

People are thick headed sometimes. A "real offense" is one that is effective. The spread offense is just as real as any other. I am no expert on it's definition but doesn't the spread offense sound one HELL of a lot like the K-gun? When the Bills were most successful we had Thurman Thomas running wild and going out into patterns as a WR. He lead the league in yards from scrimmage for a bunch of years running if memory serves. We also had Lofton, Beebe and Reed in addition to Keith McKeller who the "K"-Gun was actually named for not Jim "K"elly.

Even in my youth I noticed that when the Bills went to that formation it gave defenses fits and they just couldn't win every match up that our offense forced them to deal with. Andre read against a nickel DB? McKeller against a safety? Thomas against a LB? .....forget about it!

Sounds pretty much like the spread offense to me :thumbdown:

No offense, but if you don't understand what the spread offense is, you probably should not be posting mock drafts...

:thumbdown: I mean this really says it all. If you don't have a clue about the spread offense, please keep your mock to the privacy of your own closet and imaginary friends.

:thumbdown: I mean this really says it all. If you don't have a clue about the spread offense, please keep your mock to the privacy of your own closet and imaginary friends.

As to a spread vs traditional offense....the spread can work (see Colts, Saints, Pats), but is better suited for the Domes but it can work anywhere. The K Gun was basically a spread formation, so if you have a great trigger man you can run it. The best example of the traditional offense would the Cowboys with Emmitt, D Johnston, Aikman, Novacek, Irvin, and Harper. Again, that works too...but any darn offense revolves around the trigger man.

When we find our QB, we can run whatever we want b/c it is all about the QB in the NFL. Yes, there are the few exceptions, when the D is so dominant, but those teams historically have not sustained dominance, whereas, the teams with great QBs can re-load year after year.

I'd like to see Brohm get his shot at the role. He has the measurables, toughness, intelligence, leadership qualities, and arm to get it done and he is ready.

Guest dog14787
People are thick headed sometimes. A "real offense" is one that is effective. The spread offense is just as real as any other. I am no expert on it's definition but doesn't the spread offense sound one HELL of a lot like the K-gun? When the Bills were most successful we had Thurman Thomas running wild and going out into patters as a WR. He lead the league in yards from scrimmage for a bunch of years running if memory serves. We also had Lofton, Beebe and Reed in addition to Keith McKeller who the "K"-Gun was actually named for not Jim "K"elly.

Even in my youth I noticed that when the Bills went to that formation it gave defenses fits and they just couldn't win every match up that our offense forced them to deal with. Andre read against a nickel DB? McKeller against a safety? Thomas against a LB? .....forget about it!

Sounds pretty much like the spread offense to me :thumbdown:

The K- Guns allot of things things though, more predicated on the no huddle than anything.

QUOTE (Pygskin36 @ Feb 5 2010, 12:29 PM) *

THIS really says it all. The poor guy is trying to learn something and educate himself instead spewing pompous BS about how everyone else has no clue and theirs is the only opinion that matters.

As to a spread vs traditional offense....the spread can work (see Colts, Saints, Pats), but is better suited for the Domes but it can work anywhere. The K Gun was basically a spread formation, so if you have a great trigger man you can run it. The best example of the traditional offense would the Cowboys with Emmitt, D Johnston, Aikman, Novacek, Irvin, and Harper. Again, that works too...but any darn offense revolves around the trigger man.

When we find our QB, we can run whatever we want b/c it is all about the QB in the NFL. Yes, there are the few exceptions, when the D is so dominant, but those teams historically have not sustained dominance, whereas, the teams with great QBs can re-load year after year.

I'd like to see Brohm get his shot at the role. He has the measurables, toughness, intelligence, leadership qualities, and arm to get it done and he is ready.

Don't forget that those teams also had GREAT offensive lines to give their trigger man the time and piece of mind to do their thing :thumbdown:

The K- Guns allot of things things though, more predicated on the no huddle than anything.

No Huddle

-Clock management strategy desired to dictate pace and prevent defensive substitutions

Spread Offense

-Formation and plan off attack designed to spread the defense out and make them cover a lot of offensive options.

The K-Gun employed both of these principals. Just because a car is RED and FAST doesn't make it any less RED. The K-Gun was no less a spread offense whether they huddled or not. Running it at the pace that they were able to made it even more successful. It in no way made it any less of a "spread".

QUOTE (Pygskin36 @ Feb 5 2010, 12:29 PM) *

THIS really says it all. The poor guy is trying to learn something and educate himself instead spewing pompous BS about how everyone else has no clue and theirs is the only opinion that matters.

He is putting out a mock draft. I am sorry, I should not make fun of people who don't know football, but produce mock drafts. 10 lashings please.

No Huddle

-Clock management strategy desired to dictate pace and prevent defensive substitutions

Spread Offense

-Formation and plan off attack designed to spread the defense out and make them cover a lot of offensive options.

The K-Gun employed both of these principals. Just because a car is RED and FAST doesn't make it any less RED. The K-Gun was no less a spread offense whether they huddled or not. Running it at the pace that they were able to made it even more successful. It in no way made it any less of a "spread".

They were multiple on offense (K-Gun)...many times they lined up Keith McKeller at TE and Metzelaars at the other TE and ran tight bunched formations. Most times, it was traditional 1-back sets w/ 2 wides and 2 TEs. (more pompous factual info I suppose)

He is putting out a mock draft. I am sorry, I should not make fun of people who don't know football, but produce mock drafts. 10 lashings please.

I wasn't trying to come down real hard on that statement but I just felt bad for the guy. Humbling himself and asking for someone else's wisdom to improve his knowledge.

Do you really need to know the exact details and nuances of the spread formation to predict who teams will draft? Mel Kiper would probably wear a jock strap as a helmet because he has no clue what it's for. Yet he is reasonably accurate as far as guessing who will draft who. It's all just educated guessing. I/we love the speculation but it is just that, speculation.

They were multiple on offense (K-Gun)...many times they lined up Keith McKeller at TE and Metzelaars at the other TE and ran tight bunched formations. Most times, it was traditional 1-back sets w/ 2 wides and 2 TEs. (more pompous factual info I suppose)

If I'm not mistaken TE are able to run various patterns. Again I certainly could be wrong as I am no expert but spread offense does not = 3 - 5 WR does it? I thought it was more about the routes and your approach to challenging the defense not necessarily where people initially lined up. Matter of fact lining up in more of a run look formation and then challenging the entire field could have been a good way to disguise their true intent.

I guess you miss the point. Try a little civility and dial down the unwarrented supiority complex and maybe people will not think your just being jerk.

Guest dog14787
I wasn't trying to come down real hard on that statement but I just felt bad for the guy. Humbling himself and askign for someone elses wisdom to improve his knowledge.

Do you really need to know the exact details and nuances of the spread formation to predict who teams will draft? Mel Kiper would probably wear a jock strap as a helmet because he has no clue what it's for. Yet he is reasonably accurate as far as guessing who will draft who. It's all just educated guessing. I/we love the speculation but it is just that, speculation.

Myself personally,

I have learned many thing on TSW and not just about football...

The spread offense helps create one on one match ups, reduces blitzing and decreases the amount of formations a defense will try to run. In this day and age it allows the QB the ability to see and read the field more efficiently.

Former Texas Coach Mike Leach/ mad scientist of football, incorporates his RB's and TE's into a spread offense in a way that is practically unstoppable when executed by the QB properly.

STOP ALREADY!!! Edwards !@#$ing sucks! He can't make decisions worth a !@#$, can't stay healthy, has a weak arm... Enough of this Edwards horse ****.