spread offense for Buffalo

Tsaikotic

People are thick headed sometimes. A "real offense" is one that is effective. The spread offense is just as real as any other. I am no expert on it's definition but doesn't the spread offense sound one HELL of a lot like the K-gun? When the Bills were most successful we had Thurman Thomas running wild and going out into patterns as a WR. He lead the league in yards from scrimmage for a bunch of years running if memory serves. We also had Lofton, Beebe and Reed in addition to Keith McKeller who the "K"-Gun was actually named for not Jim "K"elly.

Even in my youth I noticed that when the Bills went to that formation it gave defenses fits and they just couldn't win every match up that our offense forced them to deal with. Andre read against a nickel DB? McKeller against a safety? Thomas against a LB? .....forget about it!

Sounds pretty much like the spread offense to me :wallbash:

I was thinking the same thing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the running the spread would be a good idea. With max protection our receivers get mobbed and Edwards/Fitzpatrick get sacked or make stupid mistakes. The spread would do Edwards some good since he wants to get the ball out quickly, and could be behind a rookie LT (again...), and Thigpen (if they go that way) ran it in KC. I think we keep Josh Reed, he's not worth a whole lot elsewhere and is a decent possession receiver. I expect Gailey to move the WRs around a lot to try and get some favorable matchups (something the last regime would seldom if ever do). Hardy will be given his shot this year, Evans is going nowhere, and Parrish may finally become useful. I expect the fifth slot to actually go to Shawn Nelson who was used in that matter at Ole Miss, Southern Mississippi with Fred Jackson seeing his share at receiver as well. Let's not forget Stevie Johnson, I thought he was doing good before we lost him.

If that's the way it goes, I see the draft breaking down as follows:

1) LT (Bulaga or Campbell)/ILB (McClain if there because he can QB the defense for the next 6 years - PAY HIM!)

2) NT (Dan Williams or Odrick should be there, Cody may fall there)

3) LT/RG/OLB

4) whatever we missed in the first three rounds (probably a OG or OLB)

5) cheap yet speedy receivers