ULTIMATE SUPER BOWL MENU THREAD

bartshan-83

I've been eating right lately, working out, doing some yoga...generally dragging myself back into pretty good shape. So there is obviously nothing I'd rather do than blow it up and dominate some serious (hopefully decadent) Super Bowl grub. Usually someone starts a thread about this during this week, and I remember some really good stuff being posted over the years. So let's hear some ideas before it's too late. Especially since the crazies have already started flocking the grocery stores so they don't starve during the snowstorm. :lol:

To get the balling rolling, I did a little work and dug up Super Bowl food threads of years past. I'm sure there are more if you want to look longer. Jack, I still make that Velveeta/Sausage/Salsa dip...gonna do it again this year. Thanks again, bud!

ENJOY!

PS - Funny story...I called my dad today to have this very same discussion and make a gameplan for Sunday. He informed me that he scheduled a colonoscopy (no, really) for Monday so he could not participate in any Super Bowl chowdown because Sunday would be his prep day. While I am genuinely happy that my father is taking steps to take care of himself (and I am), I had no choice but to mock and laugh at him for picking probably the worst day of the year to do this. It wasn't until I hung up that it occurred to me that only a lifetime Bills fan could have such a twisted perception of Super Bowl Sunday that planning a colonoscopy prep would seem like a perfectly normal use of the day.

About an hour ago my mom called and told me he had rescheduled...attaboy dad! ;)

This will be our first SB home alone. We used to go to our sailing club and last year we moved in to our place in SF on SB Sunday :lol: I made some chili a couple of weekends ago and froze the rest so I'm thinking of getting all sorts of different types of dogs to go with it. We too have been eating well and both had shed nearly 10 lbs so we don't want to blow it this weekend...who am I kidding, of course we do.

This will be our first SB home alone. We used to go to our sailing club and last year we moved in to our place in SF on SB Sunday :lol: I made some chili a couple of weekends ago and froze the rest so I'm thinking of getting all sorts of different types of dogs to go with it. We too have been eating well and both had shed nearly 10 lbs so we don't want to blow it this weekend...who am I kidding, of course we do.

Oh there's no avoiding gorging out...it just has to happen.

How'd that sopressata ever turn out?

I'll start cooking a BIG pot of pozole on Saturday night. I'll start off SB sunday by going to my uncles early for some menudo. He always has a full house early,then everybody splits off their separate ways. Then we'll pick up the pozole and head to my brother in laws to eat and watch the game. Everybody there will bring food and we'll be uncomfortably stuffed by the time we leave.

Oh there's no avoiding gorging out...it just has to happen.

How'd that sopressata ever turn out?

The sopressata turned out great thanks, so well as a matter of fact I've got another batch drying right now. It's a long process obviously and you never know how they'll turn out. I'm on a roll now, I've got some salmon curing with citrus, serranos and cilantro that will be ready today and will look at curing some pork this weekend, maybe make some pancetta.

Does anyone have suggestions for tasty, nutritious snacks made with no processed food?

So I cook a lot of Ellie Kreiger recipes. Her show on the Food Network is called Healthy Appetite. She is a nutritionist who really does a good job at having delicious recipes that are much better for you than the typical fare. I have made all three dishes below, and loved them all. One thing I would caution, first time i made the chips I sliced them a little to thin on the mandolin, and they burned before they were crisp. So make sure to not get so thing they are almost translucent.

I love goat cheese, so the pizza recipe was great, but imagine you could substitute any number of chesses if you are not a fan of the goat.

Asian rolls were good as well, and you could make them well in advance of any party etc.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-k...cipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-k...ipe2/index.html

So I cook a lot of Ellie Kreiger recipes. Her show on the Food Network is called Healthy Appetite. She is a nutritionist who really does a good job at having delicious recipes that are much better for you than the typical fare. I have made all three dishes below, and loved them all. One thing I would caution, first time i made the chips I sliced them a little to thin on the mandolin, and they burned before they were crisp. So make sure to not get so thing they are almost translucent.

I love goat cheese, so the pizza recipe was great, but imagine you could substitute any number of chesses if you are not a fan of the goat.

Asian rolls were good as well, and you could make them well in advance of any party etc.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-k...ipe2/index.html

Thank you :thumbdown:

It wasn't until I hung up that it occurred to me that only a lifetime Bills fan could have such a twisted perception of Super Bowl Sunday that planning a colonoscopy prep would seem like a perfectly normal use of the day.

So, his c-prep day isn't even going to crack the top 4 worst Super Bowl days of all time for him. That's impressive. Give him our best! :thumbdown:

Does anyone have suggestions for tasty, nutritious snacks made with no processed food?

I make Thai spring rolls with dipping sauce that are really good.

Ingredients

* 6 spring roll wrappers (available in Asian markets)

* 12 medium, cooked shimp or cooked chicken breast sliced

* 1 cup shredded leaf lettuce

* 1/3 cup chopped cilantro

* 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, chopped cucumber

* 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced

* 1/3 cup of mint leaves

* 1 carrot shredded

* Cellophane noodles (bean thread noodles) soaked and drained

* FOR SAUCE: 1/4 c sugar

* 1/2 c water

* 1/2 c red wine vinegar

* 2 tb fish sauce or

* 1 tb soy sauce

* 2 ts red chili peppers; ground

* 1/2 carrot; shredded

* 1/4 c peanuts; coarsely chopped

Directions

1. In a bowl of cool water, soak a wrapper until limp. Lay wrapper out flat. Place 1/6 of each ingredient down middle of wrapper, starting with lettuce. Fold over each end and tightly roll the wrapper around the contents, as if making a burrito. Moisten at seam; press to close.

2. Lay on plate, cover with moist paper towel and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then slice in two and serve with Thai Dipping Sauce.

3. FOR SAUCE: In a small saucepan combine the sugar and water. Then bring to a boil,reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sugar is dissolved.

4. Remove from heat and add the red wine vinegar, fish sauce and red chile pepper. Mix well.

5. Pour sauce in serving bowl, chill and top with carrots and peanuts just before serving.

Any one here ever use MSG? I just discovered it[specifically Accent brand] and it really seems to help homemade soup. That's all I have tryed it in so far, not really sure what to make of it.

I was taught a culinary school that all MSG does is enhance the sensitivity of your taste buds. So if you're cooking crap you only taste more crap. Don't know how true this is. I'm not a big proponent of chemicals in my food...except of course in my cured sausages. :thumbdown:

I can't take all the credit, I learned it from a Steelers fan.

This is just a suggestion and only a suggestion so dont flame me. But if you want to knock out some sodium and make it a tad healthier I use ground turkey breast and hot diced tomatoes. Its friggin unreal. My sister makes it with the sausage and its just as good but I feel like its too salty especially with the salty chips. i end up accidentally drinking 15 beers....oh wait.

I was taught a culinary school that all MSG does is enhance the sensitivity of your taste buds. So if you're cooking crap you only taste more crap. Don't know how true this is. I'm not a big proponent of chemicals in my food...except of course in my cured sausages. :worthy:

I think you just like the effects of the the saltpeter :thumbdown: