1985 BILLS DRAFT BEST EVER IN THE NFL??

Buffalo 66

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this was the best draft ever, in any sport! Bill Polian has a nose for great talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzWn7NK3U_E

I forgot that Derrick Burroughs was drafted that year. He had an uneven start to his career, but man, he was really putting it all together before the career ending injury. Was headed for a potential pro bowl career, and who knows, maybe a third hall of famer from that class if a few rings were on his resume.

Recall that after Burroughs injury the Bills had to waste a #1 on the overall bust JD Williams. If Burroughs stayed healthy, we could have drafted a real nose tackle and still had Burroughs as a veteran shut down corner for 1990-1994.

Brad Butler's injury this year made me recall Burroughs, making a leap from mediocrity to great, then an injury.

Ya that's a great point - two hall of famers in the same draft.

But Terry Bledsoe ran this draft Bill had the 86 draft and got Kelly to sign

his drafting wasn't brilliant though especially on the higher picks

87 - Roland Mitchell -2nd round....David Brandon 3rd

88 - Bernard Ford -3rd round

89 - John Kolesar- 4th round

90 - JD Williams- 1st round

91 - Darryl Wren- 3rd round

92 - James Patton-2nd round....Keith Goganious 3rd round....Frank Cmet-4th

93 - John Parella-2nd round....Russell Copeland -4th

We've had more than our share of Travis Tillman and Erik Flowers since this is just to show even a brilliant mind like Polian had a lot of swing and misses and some foul balls. But we they did was draft well late-

Butch Rolle, Mark Pike Keith McKellar, Howard Ballard, Martin Mayhew, Carlton Bailey, Jeff Wright, Lodish, Marvcus Patton, Mark Maddox, Curt Schultz and many solid playes were all guys under Polian they took 7th round or later, something we all know now doesn't exist. Kiper always mentions the FA after the draft signing being key and I think a lot of people poo poo it.

Two hall of fame players in one draft, HALL OF FAME PLAYERS not pro bowl players HALL OF FAME LMOA!!! Show me a better daft!!

1974 Pittsburg Steelers draft was maybe better?!?

Round 1: Lynn Swann, USC

Round 2: Jack Lambert, Kent State

Round 4: John Stallworth, Alabama A&M

Round 4: Jimmy Allen, UCLA

Round 5: Mike Webster, Wisconsin

4 out of 5 first picks are in the Hall of Fame... i think that probably qualifies as the best draft for a team ever

or maybe the 1986 San Farn 49ers draft:

2 39 Larry Roberts DE 06/02/1963 Alabama

3 56 Tom Rathman RB 10/07/1962 Nebraska

3 64 Tim McKyer DB 09/05/1963 Texas-Arlington

3 76 John Taylor WR 03/31/1962 Delaware State

4 96 Charles Haley DE 01/06/1964 James Madison

4 101 Steve Wallace OT 12/27/1964 Auburn

4 102 Kevin Fagan DE 04/25/1963 Miami

5 131 Pat Miller LB 06/24/1964 Florida

6 162 Don Griffin DB 03/17/1964 Middle Tennessee State

they didn't even draft in the first round!!!

Arguments?

This is as hilarious post. 1985 was a great draft, but how do you think things would have worked out if the internet was around then?

Bruce Smith? Terrible rookie year. Wasted #1 pick

Andre Reed? Kutz-what State?? Where do the Bills find these guys? The sports writers are laughing at us.

Frank Reich? Never more than a benchwarmer.

Bill Polian? Another cheap-ass move by Ralph. Promoting some lackey he knows instead of finding a big-name GM who actually knows talent!

Marv Levy? Are the Bills so bad that no NFL coach wants to come here? Now we're trolling the CFL for rejects? Typical Ralph move. Shoot me now. I'm done with this team.

:wallbash:

PTR

This is as hilarious post. 1985 was a great draft, but how do you think things would have worked out if the internet was around then?

Andre Reed? Kutz-what State?? Where do the Bills find these guys? The sports writers are laughing at us.

Bill Polian? Another cheap-ass move by Ralph. Promoting some lackey he knows instead of finding a big-name GM who actually knows talent!

Marv Levy? Are the Bills so bad that no NFL coach wants to come here? Now we're trolling the CFL for rejects? Typical Ralph move. Shoot me now. I'm done with this team.

PTR

HA Spot on

Good call VA..

Interesting list..85 Bills make the grade:

Best NFL Drafts For Team Ever

Id say 3rd or 4th best ever behind the Steelers, and the Bears.

CHICAGO, 1965: The Bears had two picks in the top four and made them pay off in a big way. They took LB Dick Butkus (Illinois) with the third pick and RB Gale Sayers (Kansas) with the fourth pick. The Bears took DL Steve DeLong (Tennessee) with the sixth pick, though he ended up playing most of his career with the San Diego Chargers. The Bears nabbed Dick Gordon (Michigan State) in the seventh round. Though he was a running back in college, Gordon became a two-time All-Pro wide receiver. RB Jim Nance (Syracuse), who became a two-time 1,000-yard rusher for the Boston Patriots, was a fourth-round pick.

Theres just no way the BEST LB to ever play the game and another HOF RB are not #2 behind the Steelers.

Reed isnt even in yet. He may be one day, but there are many arguments against him that may hurt his chances.

PTR

So true!!!

PTR

Not to mention, similiar to Tebow this year, that year there were actually people who thought that Flutie should have been the 1st pick. Of course, he lasted into the 7th round.

How could you even compare it to the 2000 Bills Draft. Look at these guys - outside of the 5th round, you can't get much better... simply unstoppable...

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State

2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech

3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech

4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State

5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech

6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso

7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo

7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Not to mention, similiar to Tebow this year, that year there were actually people who thought that Flutie should have been the 1st pick. Of course, he lasted into the 7th round.

Good thing Polian had the 'nads to stand up to the old man. Ballsy move since he was just promoted and had no track record at that point.

PTR