Phil Simms implies that SBXXV Bills Defense

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4877119&bn_r=ecc (2:43 in)

Phil Simms said that the key to playing well in the super bowl is to:

"Play a defense that isn't that good".

This has got me hotter than a firecracker on the 4th of July

Um, Phil didn't even play in SB 25. He got a ring standing on the sidelines.

Phil Simms is a dork. Decent but greatly over-rated QB and awful sports commentator. I don't get his popularity as an on-air personality and find his broadcasts uninsightful and accent annoying. Please tell me he's not doing the Superbowl this year.

If he was indeed directing that toward the Bills (I doubt it), he would have some justification. As good as it was big play-wise, the defense had some soft spots. Jeff Wright and Sean McNanie come to mind

By the way, the Tebow -Era has ended....

If he was indeed directing that toward the Bills (I doubt it), he would have some justification. Jeff Wright and Sean McNanie. As good as they were, the defense had some soft spots.

Sean McNamie played in the superbowl? I thought he was traded for Leonard Smith who played SS and started the superbowl.

If he was indeed directing that toward the Bills (I doubt it), he would have some justification. As good as it was big play-wise, the defense had some soft spots. Jeff Wright and Sean McNanie come to mind

Sean McNanie? He was way gone by then. You mean Leon Seals?

uh, he is right...Bills defense couldnt stop the run, couldnt tackle and gave up way too many 3rd down conversions

and the offense didnt run the ball enough....Thurman was the best player on the field that day and simply wasnt used enough

Phil is correct.

Walt Corey was a complete buffoon as a DC, who wasted Bruce and Bennett with his bend but don't break non-sense.

The Bills could have had a great defense if they played an aggressive attacking style.

Even if he is referring to SBXXV I don't have a problem with the comments. The defense had some stars, they played very well at times, but an argument could be made that they cost us the super bowl. If we tackled even like a JV team that day it wouldn't have come down to a FG. Grant it, Anderson was a moving truck, Meggett was like a slipper fish, but the Bills defense looked like they were blind folded tackling pinatas. Have we really become this hypersensitive?....never mind.

uh, he is right...Bills defense couldnt stop the run, couldnt tackle and gave up way too many 3rd down conversions

and the offense didnt run the ball enough....Thurman was the best player on the field that day and simply wasnt used enough

All that plus the Giants held onto the frickin ball for 41 minutes. Simms is right otherwise the Bills would have won the game!!

Unfortunately, he is right. The fact that they had the ball for a superbowl record 40 minutes shows we couldn't stop them all night (though the Giants were good at putting together long drives that year). I still believe we were superior to the Giants that year and if our offense could have gotten the ball a little more we would have run away with that game.

I never liked Walt Corey's defenses...this isn't a case of looking back with 20/20 hindsight... those defenses had so much talent that was poorly utilized. Simms is right... imagine what someone like Wade Phillips could have done with all that talent... they relied far too much on the "big play" (which admittedly, they were pretty good at), and never made any real in-game adjustments. Those early 90's teams didn't lose many games, but when they did, more often than not, it was ugly... as much as is made about Norwoods miss in 25, the 5 missed tackles on the Mark Ingram 3rd down conversion in the 3rd qtr, is every bit as painful a memory for me... I realize the Bills defense played pretty well in that game, but damn it...missed tackles hurt!