Snowmaggeddon

/dev/null

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i am just back from the Richmond game, and a couple of funny things

1) Must have pushed 6 people out , my kids kept saying "are we helping again". Couple I had to get in the car and drive

2) We pushed one dude three times, the guy just never learned. We would push him out, he would spped off way to fast, get stuck again 1 minle down the road.

3) The snow is at 13 inches outside my door, but may have drifted a bit.

4) Grocery store was empty and well stocked at 10 this morning..they said there were wiped out of a lot of things last night.

5) Rick Majeaus is really fat now(coach for Richmonds opponet,) plus they gave two free tickets to everyone there for another game as a way to say thank you to all 500 of us there :censored:

6) God I miss the snow

Why don't they have snow removal?... Even if they don't use it, at least have the funds and equipment in reserve.

Why don't they have snow removal?... Even if they don't use it, at least have the funds and equipment in reserve.

This isn't Erie county and New York state. they have some but why waste millions of dollars in the budget for a once every 3 years event? There is a reason taxes are half of NYS.

This isn't Erie county and New York state. they have some but why waste millions of dollars in the budget for a once every 3 years event? There is a reason taxes are half of NYS.

You answered my point... Know we why things are cheaper... Yet, the squeaky wheel seems to get the grease when these calamities happen... :censored:

How much would it really take to have a fund they can "roll over." I mean really, if the winter isn't that bad... They can just keep on rolling the money over.

There is no excuse. The "God giveth, God taketh" approach is wrong... Especially with the hills and icy situations... Can be quite a public safety issue.

Same thing with say water lines... If the freeze line is x inches, why not make it xx inches.

Same goes with other weather like hurrincanes... I really don't feel sorry... Nobody helps the north out with their snow removal

You answered my point... Know we why things are cheaper... Yet, the squeaky wheel seems to get the grease when these calamities happen... :censored:

How much would it really take to have a fund they can "roll over." I mean really, if the winter isn't that bad... They can just keep on rolling the money over.

There is no excuse. The "God giveth, God taketh" approach is wrong... Especially with the hills and icy situations... Can be quite a public safety issue.

Same thing with say water lines... If the freeze line is x inches, why not make it xx inches.

Same goes with other weather like hurrincanes... I really don't feel sorry... Nobody helps the north out with their snow removal

And all they have to do is declare a state of emergency and you shouldn't be on the roads. If themorons would stay off the roads and let the limited equipment have 12 hours to clean up then it works. Why would anyone need to go out on hilly icey roads? You answered your own questions for a few hours of inconvience, or maybe a day or two, then why spend millions/10's of millions on extra equipment.

Not sure what you mean by rolling money over, but the state has a multi-billion dollar reserve fund in case of a major disaster.

And all they have to do is declare a state of emergency and you shouldn't be on the roads. If themorons would stay off the roads and let the limited equipment have 12 hours to clean up then it works. Why would anyone need to go out on hilly icey roads? You answered your own questions for a few hours of inconvience, or maybe a day or two, then why spend millions/10's of millions on extra equipment.

Not sure what you mean by rolling money over, but the state has a multi-billion dollar reserve fund in case of a major disaster.

I think he means money budgeted for the overtime pay for road crews if needed. If not used it "rolls over"to next year.

It is not intended for Millions of $ in equipment sitting in storage yards unused. as EiL seems to imply.

I think he means money budgeted for the overtime pay for road crews if needed. If not used it "rolls over"to next year.

It is not intended for Millions of $ in equipment sitting in storage yards unused. as EiL seems to imply.

Exactly... The equipment would just rot. Though they could get by with an extra stock pile of salt or sand. Can't they even contract the use of equipment out... What gets me is that it seems like they have zero plan besides: "God Giveth, God Taketh." It does seem that a lot of these southern places have absolutely nothing. They are almost out of the woods now. Lower latitudes, "higher" sun... It is a like a March/April storm up here.

Not sure how it works as a lot is funded by counties. Only the highways are covered by state/federal funding. Counties do allocate so much to crews and salt each year and usually have to go back for more, at least in the counties around me. Seems like the crews have leaway to go ahead and spend and then they do an emergency meeting of the board to "officially" fund the over allocation. Like I 95 and 64 have different rules as they are covered at a state/federal level.

Exactly... The equipment would just rot. Though they could get by with an extra stock pile of salt or sand. Can't they even contract the use of equipment out... What gets me is that it seems like they have zero plan besides: "God Giveth, God Taketh." It does seem that a lot of these southern places have absolutely nothing. They are almost out of the woods now. Lower latitudes, "higher" sun... It is a like a March/April storm up here.

The counties do contract out a lot of it, especially development roads. We usually see a plow before the county crews get onto the major side streets because that it contracted.

The counties do contract out a lot of it, especially development roads. We usually see a plow before the county crews get onto the major side streets because that it contracted.

That is what I figured.

What do they use down there... Salt? Sand? Cinders?

It has got to be hell at times... We drove to FLA over the holiday break and man... Some of the hills coming out of TENN I imagine gotta be brutal. I would take a foot of snow over a glaze of ice any day!

Well... Good luck!

That is what I figured.

What do they use down there... Salt? Sand? Cinders?

It has got to be hell at times... We drove to FLA over the holiday break and man... Some of the hills coming out of TENN I imagine gotta be brutal. I would take a foot of snow over a glaze of ice any day!

Well... Good luck!

I don't believe it is salt. They use primarily sand and some salt like substance. But they don't use salt as it is rough on the roads.

So, Snowmaggeddon Part Deux, about to start. Here in the West part of Richmond, expecting 4 inch or so tomorrow, then a nice sleet/freezing rain mix overnight to get it set and make the rds real nice, then another 4-8 inches on Saturday for good measure. The public schools here been off all week except for 4 hrs today,closed tomorrow..dam wish I was still a kid.

DC looking at a storm of "historic" proportions..16-24 inches in the northern and western burbs.

So only one thing to do in the AM..off to the Total wine for a 24 of 60 Minute, and a 24 of Troegs Nugget Nectar..

DC looking at a storm of "historic" proportions..16-24 inches in the northern and western burbs.

Historic? Didn't they get that much snow a month ago?

Apparently we're just going to get a dusting up here in Southern NE.

It is not intended for Millions of $ in equipment sitting in storage yards unused. as EiL seems to imply

Because it won't 'roll over'. Instead some POS politician will identify it as unspent money and use it from some b.s. project. Than that b.s. project will need to be funded every year, so bingo, you just increased your budget.

Do that a few thousand more times; add tens of thousands of needless gov't employees loaded with perks to manage all your b.s. projects and suddenly you're right back in NYS.

Historic? Didn't they get that much snow a month ago?

Apparently we're just going to get a dusting up here in Southern NE.

Because it won't 'roll over'. Instead some POS politician will identify it as unspent money and use it from some b.s. project. Than that b.s. project will need to be funded every year, so bingo, you just increased your budget.

Do that a few thousand more times; add tens of thousands of needless gov't employees loaded with perks to manage all your b.s. projects and suddenly you're right back in NYS.

Yes... If the numbers are accurate, we'll be close to 60 inches so far this winter. petty damned impressive.

have they closed schools? chesterfield hasnt made the phone calls yet via parent link

So, Snowmaggeddon Part Deux, about to start. Here in the West part of Richmond, expecting 4 inch or so tomorrow, then a nice sleet/freezing rain mix overnight to get it set and make the rds real nice, then another 4-8 inches on Saturday for good measure. The public schools here been off all week except for 4 hrs today,closed tomorrow..dam wish I was still a kid.

So only one thing to do in the AM..off to the Total wine for a 24 of 60 Minute, and a 24 of Troegs Nugget Nectar..

Can't believe I'm glad to say I left Maryland... I read this storm has a similar track to the January 1996 storm... don't know if the intensity will be the same, but they didn't diagnose 30+ inches for that one... damn, that was a nasty storm.

good luck.

:lol:

don't forget to go to Giant and get lots of milk, eggs and bread... cause everyone knows ya gotta make a ****load of french toast.

I picked a great day to move! This should be interesting tomorrow. Hope I can keep a 26' Uhaul out of the ditch.