(OT) Happy Thanksgiving...

USMCBillsFan

Darin, you seem to be a pretty smart guy. Turkey deep fryers use a jet engine sized propane burner, they are meant to be used OUTSIDE, away from the house. I've cooked about 10 deep fried turkey (including a couple at tailgates) and have yet to burn down anything. :lol:

130392[/snapback]

Dude, I live in Alaska. I ain't cooking stevestojan outside in late November (though I do pull my grill up to the back door).

There are stories every year of people burning their houses down because they are cooking the turkey in the garage.

When I was in the military we fried multiple turkey's every year - plenty of experience there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This year I'll remove the plastic from the desert, make slits over the entre and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes.

If I were to cook, I prefer smoking. Wash, pat dry, season the inside with salt and pepper, loosely stuff with quartered onion and whole garlic. Make up a paste of sage, rosemary, thyme and parsley (appologies to Simon and Garfunkle) and butter. Work some of the paste between the breast skin and the meat, same for the thigh area. Sear the backbone over moderate-hot coals, wrap breast in cheesecloth liberally basted with butter-olive oil mix. Dry smoke over medium heat using a mix of oak and cherry, basting about every thirty minutes with the butter/olive oil. Use a meat thermometer to know when it's done. Pull it atabout 160, it will pick up another 10 degrees as it sets up. Traditionally, always liked to serve with a nice venison roast. All the traditional trimmings (cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetable, biscuits, homemade whole cranberry-pecan relish) with Carolina Trifle for desert.

Yum.

Dude, I live in Alaska.  I ain't cooking stevestojan outside in late November (though I do pull my grill up to the back door).

There are stories every year of people burning their houses down because they are cooking the turkey in the garage.

When I was in the military we fried multiple turkey's every year - plenty of experience there.

130405[/snapback]

We've since moved, but last year our neighbor had a grease fire while doing his bird in the driveway. The burning grease rolled under is Expedition and... well, you can guess the rest.

It did make for an exciting Thanksgiving though!

Cooking stuffing inside of the turkey is considered a bad idea.  The stuffing heats up at a slower rate than the bird (you want 170 deg. F internal temp.) The salmonella et al can migrate into the stuffing - the bird reaches 170 but the stuffing can be 130, 140 or so. not good. To get the stuffing at 170, you end up drying out the bird.

If baking, instead of frying, stuff the bird with quartered apples, onions, oranges, celery etc to provide moisture and flavor - and discard those after the turkey is out of the oven. There are gazillions of out-of-the-bird recipes out there.

Happy Thanksgiving!

130404[/snapback]

Having taken a food safety class, I'll second this.

Mix the stuffing in a seperate dish. I chop up carrots, celery and onion, mix in some chicken flavoring with corn bread stuffing mix and douse with some of the turkey dripoff. Then put it in the oven until the veggies are softened. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Or you can follow the directions if it's Stovetop (blehh!).

We've since moved, but last year our neighbor had a grease fire while doing his bird in the driveway.  The burning grease rolled under is Expedition and... well, you can guess the rest.

It did make for an exciting Thanksgiving though!

130416[/snapback]

Everytime I get close to wanting to buy one, I read a story like this... I think it'd be cool for turkeys (and wings, since our indoor fryer doesn't get quite hot enough). But burning down my house/car/myself makes me reconsider... :lol:

CW

My son-n-law was going to deep fry our turkey and I even bought the oil.

So he called last night to tell me he's checked the weather report for Thursday and it will be only 52 degrees outside (and sunny)!!! So he's asking if, since it will be SO COLD outside on the patio, can just cook it in the oven?

Damn wimpy Texans!! :lol:

If I were to cook, I prefer smoking. Wash, pat dry, season the inside with salt and pepper, loosely stuff with quartered onion and whole garlic. Make up a paste of sage, rosemary, thyme and parsley (appologies to Simon and Garfunkle) and butter. Work some of the paste between the breast skin and the meat, same for the thigh area. Sear the backbone over moderate-hot coals, wrap breast in cheesecloth liberally basted with butter-olive oil mix. Dry smoke over medium heat using a mix of oak and cherry, basting about every thirty minutes with the butter/olive oil. Use a meat thermometer to know when it's done. Pull it atabout 160, it will pick up another 10 degrees as it sets up. Traditionally, always liked to serve with a nice venison roast. All the traditional trimmings (cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetable, biscuits, homemade whole cranberry-pecan relish) with Carolina Trifle for desert.

Yum.

130410[/snapback]

I too will be smoking a few turkey breasts on Thursday. I have a propane smoker and will be using hickory wood....

My son-n-law was going to deep fry our turkey and I even bought the oil.

So he called last night to tell me he's checked the weather report for Thursday and it will be only 52 degrees outside (and sunny)!!! So he's asking if, since it will be SO COLD outside on the patio, can just cook it in the oven?

Damn wimpy Texans!!  :lol:

130436[/snapback]

Damn! Darlene and I used to run the smoker in the dead of January. We used to do a standing rib roast for New Years, fire roasted on an outdoor cooker. That's what sweaters and jackets are for (and, bourbon).

Damn! Darlene and I used to run the smoker in the dead of January. We used to do a standing rib roast for New Years, fire roasted on an outdoor cooker. That's what sweaters and jackets are for (and, bourbon).

130443[/snapback]

ESPECIALLY bourbon! :lol:

In the oven, in a bag.  Comes out pretty much the same as fried - without the risk of burning my house to the ground.  Plus - STUFFING!

130388[/snapback]

I was waiting for this. When I first heard of this years ago I thought people were insane, but it really makes for a tremendous turkey.

I was waiting for this. When I first heard of this years ago I thought people were insane, but it really makes for a tremendous turkey.

130489[/snapback]

Word of caution. If you are not talking "Brown and Bag", but are talking the brown paper variety, be aware that there are now many additives to the paper put in through the kraft process. These chemicals can volatilize and get into the meat.

Public Service Announcement A-146-7

I too will be smoking a few turkey breasts on Thursday. I have a propane smoker and will be using hickory wood....

130440[/snapback]

For my smoked bird I will be using a brine , this supposedly aids moisture and flavor.

Also, dib if you get a Weber smoker you will have no problem keeping it lit. I have done overnight unsupervised smokes using mine that have sustained the proper temp up to 14 hours. Nothing beats the convenience of gas, just as nothing beats the flavor of charcoal and smoke wood. Man I'm getting hungry.

For my smoked bird I will be using a brine , this supposedly aids moisture and flavor. 

Also, dib if you get a Weber smoker you will have no problem keeping it lit.  I have done overnight unsupervised smokes using mine that have sustained the proper temp up to 14 hours.  Nothing beats the convenience of gas, just as nothing beats the flavor of charcoal and smoke wood.  Man I'm getting hungry.

130573[/snapback]

Propane is sacriledge. You ever pit cook a pig?

Everytime I get close to wanting to buy one, I read a story like this...  I think it'd be cool for turkeys (and wings, since our indoor fryer doesn't get quite hot enough).  But burning down my house/car/myself makes me reconsider... :lol:

CW

130422[/snapback]

Mostly from idjets that either put too much oil in the fryer, or put the top on the fryer and walk away despite the explicit instructions not to.

You can also use the fryer for a low country boil.....mmmmmm.

Not to mention a stojanload of wings.

Mostly from idjets that either put too much oil in the fryer, or put the top on the fryer and walk away despite the explicit instructions not to.

You can also use the fryer for a low country boil.....mmmmmm.

Not to mention a stojanload of wings.

130628[/snapback]

Low country boil definitely rocks. One of my all time favorite meals. My wife used to make it for me on my birthday every year, June 7th- when the Shrimp Boats would be coming in with the 10 counts, and the blue crab is plentiful.