Warner set to retire tomorrow; is he a Hall of Famer?

Lori

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The SB success, his record as a great player on multiple teams puts him over the top for me. The guy was / is a great QB, probably better than some other QBs in the Hall. 1st ballot as far as I'm concerned.

really? i cant think of any. he's also not a guy that other teams were clamoring over to get. no, sorry folks, he doesn't have the intangibles of a HOF QB

really? i cant think of any. he's also not a guy that other teams were clamoring over to get. no, sorry folks, he doesn't have the intangibles of a HOF QB

HOF isnt about "intangibles". We arent drafting the dude.

The HOF selection is based on your career performance and accomplishments. Not if you were a blue-chip prospect or a hot free agent.

He has done the work, and won the games, that qualify someone as a HOFer.

20% of your existing posts have been wasted trying to convince anyone that Warner is not a HOF QB.

Maybe you should branch out.

HOF isnt about "intangibles". We arent drafting the dude.

The HOF selection is based on your career performance and accomplishments. Not if you were a blue-chip prospect or a hot free agent.

He has done the work, and won the games, that qualify someone as a HOFer.

trent dilfer won the super bowl, jim kelly didn't. do you take dilfer over kelly? brad johnson won a super bowl and had a long career with pretty good numbers. does he go into the hall too?

trent dilfer won the super bowl, jim kelly didn't. do you take dilfer over kelly? brad johnson won a super bowl and had a long career with pretty good numbers. does he go into the hall too?

Dilfer + BJohnson = 0 MVPs, 0 All-Pro, 3 Pro Bowls.

Warner = 2 MVPs, 1 SB MVP, 2 All-Pro First Team, 4 Pro Bowls.

You were saying?

trent dilfer won A super bowl, but did not put up a ton of numbers every year and lead the best offenses in the league. the rest of his stats dont look like a HOF career. so probably not. again, you have to look at the FULL body of work.

Kelly went to FOUR super bowls, and lead one of the best offenses ever.

Brad Johnson might end up getting in years and years from now, but highly highly doubtful.

i think you are dismissing Warner's accomplishments and stats just because he wasnt a "popular" player from the start of his career.

Warner is in a class much closer to Kelly than Dilfer/Johnson.

While most of the sportswriting world has already speculated that Kurt Warner's press conference, set for 3 p.m. ET Friday, will serve as his official retirement announcement, our own inside source informs me that Warner is definitely walking away. I've learned not to question his judgment.

Which begs the question of Warner's legacy, of course. If you'd asked me about his Hall of Fame chances a year ago, I would have hemmed and hawed before saying that yes, he "probably" had a good chance to get in "someday." (Okay, so I hedge my bets.) Looking back, I wonder what I was thinking, because the two-time MVP looks like a first-ballot lock.

Since The Associated Press started handing out Most Valuable Player honors in 1957, only six players have won the award more than once: Peyton Manning (4), Brett Favre (3), Jim Brown (3), Johnny Unitas (3), Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Warner. Brown, Unitas, Montana, and Young were each elected in their first year of eligibility. Manning and Favre certainly will be. Is there any valid reason to keep Warner out of that group?

If there is, let's hear it.

For me, this guy is a sure fire HOF player, first ballot. His track record speaks for itself. He turned, not one, but two perennial losing franchises into SB teams, including winning won. People talk about the low part for a couple years in the middle...well, he was injury stricken his last couple of years with the Rams, then didnt get a fair shot in NY as they pulled him despite having a good record to start rookie Eli. Then in AZ, they really wanted Leinart to be their guy as they just drafted him, so it took a little while to take that away from him and become the unquestioned starter.

To top it all off, this guy is one of the all time best Post Season QB's to boot.

To me, there is just no question he deserves to be a first ballot HOF selection. Add in his character and back story and this is just a no brainer IMO.

trent dilfer won A super bowl, but did not put up a ton of numbers every year and lead the best offenses in the league. the rest of his stats dont look like a HOF career. so probably not. again, you have to look at the FULL body of work.

Kelly went to FOUR super bowls, and lead one of the best offenses ever.

Brad Johnson might end up getting in years and years from now, but highly highly doubtful.

i think you are dismissing Warner's accomplishments and stats just because he wasnt a "popular" player from the start of his career.

Warner is in a class much closer to Kelly than Dilfer/Johnson.

well maybe, but when i look at things like poise in the pocket, reading the defense, a leader on the field, game awareness ... i dont see it in warner. what i see is a guy that had some success when he was on an offense with terrific WRs where he could just step back and put the ball up. a lot like an arena football style. when he had average WRs like NY, he got cut. he was frustated in the super bowl when he faced a smart D like New England.

lmao, one of the worst arguments anyone could have possibly made...I mean you literally just compared a QB who had marginal stats in his best years to one of the most prolific passers of all time who led some of the greatest offenses of all time and went to 3 SB's, 2 MVP's, etc etc...

Warner is hands down a frist ballot HOF'er

well maybe, but when i look at things like poise in the pocket, reading the defense, a leader on the field, game awareness ... i dont see it in warner. what i see is a guy that had some success when he was on an offense with terrific WRs where he could just step back and put the ball up. a lot like an arena football style. when he had average WRs like NY, he got cut. he was frustated in the super bowl when he faced a smart D like New England.

WHAT? Man, what are you smoking?

Warner is great in the pocket, has incredible field vision as he disects the D regularly (see him vs GB's #2 D in the league this post season where he had more TD's-5 then incompletions-4) and is one of the most intelligent QB's in the league. He is also one of the most accurate QB's of all time. He didnt amass these totals by throwing jump balls...the fact you just said just shows you dont have a clue about this guy nor watch him play...I would just stop if I were you...

You've revealed yourself as someone who has never watched Warner play football.

Your funny argument has lost its funny.

lmao, one of the worst arguments anyone could have possibly made...I mean you literally just compared a QB who had marginal stats in his best years to one of the most prolific passers of all time who led some of the greatest offenses of all time and went to 3 SB's, 2 MVP's, etc etc...

Warner is hands down a frist ballot HOF'er

here's the list of QBs in the Hall whose careers began no later than 1965 (Namath) ... before that I didn't have a chance to see any of them:

Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Bob Greise, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Roger Staubach and Steve Young.

which one(s) would you take Warner ahead of for Bills QB? none for me. i simply dont see him in that class

here's the list of QBs in the Hall whose careers began no later than 1965 (Namath) ... before that I didn't have a chance to see any of them:

Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Bob Greise, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Roger Staubach and Steve Young.

which one(s) would you take Warner ahead of for Bills QB? none for me. i simply dont see him in that class

I'd take him over the bolded ones. Next.

You talk about Warner stepping back and putting the ball up, yet rank Moon -- the ultimate inflated-numbers-via-the-run-and-shoot QB -- ahead of him despite his 3-7 playoff record?

And Bob Griese (cq), who won his Super Bowls by handing off to Csonka and Kiick a billion times? Really? Griese, who never had a 3,000-yard season, who threw more TDs than INTs in just half of his 14 seasons?

I think with out a doubt. I'm not sure why analysts debate this as often as they do. His yardage is up there in the same league as Kelly and Esiason. His touchdown and interception ratio is better than both of them. He's won a super bowl, has more league mvp's, has won a super bowl mvp...has set passing records in the super bowl...i'm sure i could look for more ammunition.

Sure he had a couple of obscure years, but overall this guys has had an amazing career