Looking for a new place to live

GoodBye

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Okay with tax increase if I didn't see so much waste. We are in a recession...our company had to cut costs. Shouldn't the State do that too? I'm also just sick of the one county (Multnomah Co) that always decides the votes for the rest of the state. Most of those people are non-natives that work for the State while the rest of the State are mostly native Oregonians that work for private companies.

Ya for sure. People spend so much time fighting over high/low taxes that they forget to demand efficient spending from their government.

It does seem like everyone in Portland moved there from somewhere else. It's super easy to meet people there from just about any part of the country (though I don't see you can say they work for the State).

So after further reading it looks like it's 125k for single and 250k for family income. And then there is a minimum taxes for Corps raised from $10 to $150/yr. Also some fees and such added on to money flow in attempts to circumvent loopholes. Yeah this does not look like the the happiest tax increase ever, but also it looks like Oregon was in a really tight spot money wise and would have had to cut a lot of programs if they didn't do this.

So... taxes will get a bit worse for you guys. But ... I mean then again, I don't think it compares to NY still.

Ha! +9 in Minneapolis; +21 here in beautiful, balmy Anchorage. +9? Are you having a unseasonal heat wave?

Since this started with a tax issue, I need to brag on Alaska a bit.

No state tax.

No sales tax.

Every resident gets a yearly $800-$2000 check from the state from oil royalty investments.

Unemployment rate 2% lower than the lower 48.

Stable economy based on oil, military installations, fishing. Try to outsource THAT to India.

And the good thing is you got all that night up there now... With all the darkness, she won't have to see what you actually look like.

Word of advice Lana... If you go to AK... Come June 21st... RUN!!! Back to the lower 48.

Of course I jest JiA... Of course I jest! :worthy:

:worthy: Old myths sure die hard :blush: Doesn't anyone have access to census figures more currant than 1900?

The gold rush is over. Anchorage is just a regular city, 1:1 same as everywhere.

The only problem with woman in Anchorage is they wear to many damn clothes :wallbash:

That is okay... There are only a few hours of light in the winter, who's looking anyway.

Of course I jest again... :wallbash:

After yesterday's passing of two measure's it's clear that this state is "run" by one county made up of a bunch of idiots who are not even native to the state. Yeah, they know what's good for Oregon. :worthy:

Any recommendations as to where to move? :wallbash:

And thanks for letting me vent. :blush:

i live in greenville, sc, and it's really nice, not country, but not big city, and there's a bunch of places b/t charlotte and atl that are great. Low taxes, low housing cost, lost of mnts lakes, beaches. A really great area to live

ocean, mountains, skiing, lake Winnipesaukee, no income tax, no sales tax

welcome to NH

Such a fun thread!!

So he says... Wait till he hits you with half the property tax bill along with the tab for the booze! One pays almost triple in NH when it comes to tax on beer!

BTW... Alaska has the highest beer tax, coming in a whopping $1.07 a gallon, compare that to NYS' which is only 11 cents a gallon. If you like the lager, that could add up pretty quickly

Taxes

Rank

:worthy:

And not to metion having to deal with the MassInfluence... That is what you are kinda escaping Portland from, right?... :blush::wallbash:

Anyway Lana... Have you tried?:

The above link is such a beautiful song and it kinds of remind me of this thread with everybody extolling the virtues of where they live.

Such a fun thread!!

So he says... Wait till he hits you with half the property tax bill along with the tab for the booze! One pays almost triple in NH when it comes to tax on beer!

BTW... Alaska has the highest beer tax, coming in a whopping $1.07 a gallon, compare that to NYS' which is only 11 cents a gallon. If you like the lager, that could add up pretty quickly

Taxes

Rank

:worthy:

And not to metion having to deal with the MassInfluence... That is what you are kinda escaping Portland from, right?... :blush::wallbash:

Anyway Lana... Have you tried?:

The above link is such a beautiful song and it kinds of remind me of this thread with everybody extolling the virtues of where they live.

the booze tax may look high, however the price of alcohol is still cheaper than any other place I've been to in the US. I have friends from NY and MA that make bootlegging runs to NH for the cheap booze. The state of NH runs their own liquor stores so I guess the extra bit they charge in tax is equivalent to the profit a private store makes in profit.

Property taxes? That was the first thing state residents told me when I moved to NH. "Yeah, we have no income or sales tax, but property taxes will getcha!"

I look at my tax bill and just laugh...those fools have never lived in NYS. My house in NH is worth 3x what my house in Rochester, NY was, however I pay the exact same amount in property tax (actually, NH is a few hundred cheaper).

Ya for sure. People spend so much time fighting over high/low taxes that they forget to demand efficient spending from their government.

And everyone knows, the best way to 'demand efficient spending' from gubmint is to continue to allow them to raise taxes. :worthy:

Try East Tennessee...no income taxes, great medical facilities, Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains, TVA Lakes, Mild Climate, A pro football team that humiliated the Bills in their last playoff game, great barbecue, Country music capital of the world. The rest of Tennessee isn't bad.

Try East Tennessee...no income taxes, great medical facilities, Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains, TVA Lakes, Mild Climate, A pro football team that humiliated the Bills in their last playoff game, great barbecue, Country music capital of the world. The rest of Tennessee isn't bad.

Deliverance?