sully's newest article

rpcolosi

Folks: It's a thought experiment. It's not like he's saying we could've had all of them... but if you stack up all the misses, you've got yourself a damn great team. And while Joe_the_6_pack is right that other teams didn't take these players either, I think that we can't protest too much with the results: Most of those other teams have made the playoffs since 2002.

I know it's fun to trash Sully here, but that article made me pretty sad. (Almost as much as papazoid's post did a few days ago! I would worry more about Jerry stealing good ideas for articles on this board rather than dissing his larger point here.)

lots of factors go into making the playoffs: luck, coaching, what division you're in, free agent moves, etc etc.

i bet if you went over the most successful playoff team in our division over that period the pats with a fine tooth comb, you'd also find a very disappointing drafting record

funny how he points out all the blunders under Modrak, yet doesn't give any props to the fact that the year Buddy Nix came back to the organization we hit 3 out of 4 in the first 2 rounds... hearing that Modrak wanted Cushing over Maybin, also makes you wonder how much RW or DJ had to play...

I know this has been talked about at length on here, but figured if Sully is going to bash modrak for "his drafts" as the irishman puts it, then he sure as heck better give credit to our best draft class in awhile thanks to Buddy...

lets see, Maybin over Orakpo or Oher. Yeah I wouldn't mention this last draft either.

maybe Jerry Sullivan reads this message board......i posted this days ago:

Jan 24 2010, 01:14 PM Post #20

heres hoping we do better this year.........

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2009- Maybin (#10) or Brian Cushing (#15) (def R.O.Y)

2008- McKelvin(#11) or Ryan Clady(#12) ( #1 Left Tackle in NFL)

2007- Lynch (#12) or Darrelle Revis (#14) (#1 corner in NFL)

2006- Witner (#8) or Haloti Ngata (#12) ( #4 NT in NFL))

2006- McCargo (#26) or Nick Mangold (#29) (#1 Center in NFL)

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

2004- Lee Evans (#13) or Vince Wilfork (#21) ( #3 NT in NFL)

2004- #43 traded to Dal or Bob Sanders (#44) (All Pro Safety)

2003- #14 traded to NE for Bledsoe or Troy Polamulu (#16)

2003- McGahee (#23) or Dallas Clark (#24) or Nnamdi Asomugha(#31)

2002- Mike Williams (#4) or Dwight Feeney(#11) or Albert Haynesworth (#15) or Ed Reed (#24)

thats enough pain......

First thing I thought when I saw Jerry's article.

I think that the Bryant McKinnie "miss" and the big swing and a whiff on McCargo really hurt. How does a team consistently blow first round draft picks?? Are they taking lessons from Detroit? (Ralph does live there you know...)

Ralph Wilson was once a minority owner of the Detroit Lions. Coincidence? You be the judge. :thumbsup:

lots of factors go into making the playoffs: luck, coaching, what division you're in, free agent moves, etc etc.

i bet if you went over the most successful playoff team in our division over that period the pats with a fine tooth comb, you'd also find a very disappointing drafting record

um..the pats are in our division, coaches are chosen (many times over by the bills) and the application of statistics over a decade would minimize the effects of luck. The article mentions poor free agent choices. Nit pick away, the general, overriding thrust of the article, that the bills have drafted consistently horribly is indisputable...and once again what is the one constant presence in all of these drafts? the gm? coach? scouts?...Oh yeah, the owner.

Our drafts don't belong to any one person, they have been collaborative efforts. Pick by pick, we can't possibly know the precise degree of Modrak's or anyone elses input. Modrak however can't escape some responsibility for what has been an almost unbroken string of disasters. He plays a role in our drafts, exactly how big a role year to year we just don't know but he is obviously a major player.

I can tell you I believe the picks belong to ME, as a fan of the team. 'I' own these terrible picks AND the years of frustration it takes 'til they're kicked to the curb. :thumbsup:

Makes me sad to think how good the Bills "Could have been"

You could do the same analysis on EVERY SINGLE Team. Especially over a ten year period, no matter who you drafted you can always go back and find an optimum solution after the fact.

Sullivan is a tool. He brings no insight and he has no connection to what is really going on. That is why he only writes about what already happened.

You could do the same analysis on EVERY SINGLE Team. Especially over a ten year period, no matter who you drafted you can always go back and find an optimum solution after the fact.

Sullivan is a tool. He brings no insight and he has no connection to what is really going on. That is why he only writes about what already happened.

Clearly every team misses picks. But the fact that since 2002, we have hit 1 real Pro Bowler, means that the people making the draft decisions for the Bills need to be replaced. Its time the Bills start keeping good players so we don't have to keep struggling for the same positions every year (CB, DT, etc.) And Donte Whitner is one of the worst draft picks in Bills history, considering he never should have gone in the top 10 in the first place. At least with Mike Williams, any team in the spot probably would have taken him there as well. Whitner is a bust, and a loud mouth who needs to shut the f up.

um..the pats are in our division, coaches are chosen (many times over by the bills) and the application of statistics over a decade would minimize the effects of luck. The article mentions poor free agent choices. Nit pick away, the general, overriding thrust of the article, that the bills have drafted consistently horribly is indisputable...and once again what is the one constant presence in all of these drafts? the gm? coach? scouts?...Oh yeah, the owner.

I think that's his point, the Pats have been in a relatively weak division for years, so using playoff appearances as a definitive measure of drafting acumen is misleading. By the way, I looked at Pats picks since 2002 and I'm not at all impressed. Other than Vince Wilfork I don't see any real stars left on their team. Jerod Mayo has a chance but it's too soon to tell. Watson is a good TE, but more of a system guy that would suffer if he went somewhere else. Same for Ty Warren. Maroney as the 21st pick over all WAS A HUGE BUST. And they've shown a real problem keeping probowlers like Branch and Samuel. They truly have a lot of wasted picks. Here, see for yourself: http://www.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?...p;submit=Submit

I think that's his point, the Pats have been in a relatively weak division for years, so using playoff appearances as a definitive measure of drafting acumen is misleading. By the way, I looked at Pats picks since 2002 and I'm not at all impressed. Other than Vince Wilfork I don't see any real stars left on their team. Jerod Mayo has a chance but it's too soon to tell. Watson is a good TE, but more of a system guy that would suffer if he went somewhere else. Same for Ty Warren. Maroney as the 21st pick over all WAS A HUGE BUST. And they've shown a real problem keeping probowlers like Branch and Samuel. They truly have a lot of wasted picks. Here, see for yourself: http://www.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?...p;submit=Submit

nice find. on their best pick wilfork, when it's all said and done, our pick of evans may turn out the better player.

:thumbsup:

nice find. on their best pick wilfork, when it's all said and done, our pick of evans may turn out the better player.

only in Bills fantasy land.

the same place where Bryant McKinnie is better than Mike Williams, Whitner is better than Ngata and Lynch is better than Revis.

I would say that Maybin was RW. When Nevergiveup was posting about the draft, he mentioned that the Ohio State/Buffalo Bills connection was no mistake (see Whitner, Donte.) He made this comment in reference to somebody suggesting Tressel as our HC. It would not surprise me if RW has a friend in Happy Valley, and determined that Maybin was going to be a star.

Maybin came from Penn State, but since PA and OH share a border, and you get doubles for State Uni...a mulligan for you

:worthy:

only in Bills fantasy land.

the same place where Bryant McKinnie is better than Mike Williams, Whitner is better than Ngata and Lynch is better than Revis.

Did anyone say that? The point was comparing Bills and Pat drafts over the same period. Did I miss something? Were McKinnie and Ngata drafted by Pats?

maybe Jerry Sullivan reads this message board......i posted this days ago:

Jan 24 2010, 01:14 PM Post #20

heres hoping we do better this year.........

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2009- Maybin (#10) or Brian Cushing (#15) (def R.O.Y)

2008- McKelvin(#11) or Ryan Clady(#12) ( #1 Left Tackle in NFL)

2007- Lynch (#12) or Darrelle Revis (#14) (#1 corner in NFL)

2006- Witner (#8) or Haloti Ngata (#12) ( #4 NT in NFL))

2006- McCargo (#26) or Nick Mangold (#29) (#1 Center in NFL)

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

2004- Lee Evans (#13) or Vince Wilfork (#21) ( #3 NT in NFL)

2004- #43 traded to Dal or Bob Sanders (#44) (All Pro Safety)

2003- #14 traded to NE for Bledsoe or Troy Polamulu (#16)

2003- McGahee (#23) or Dallas Clark (#24) or Nnamdi Asomugha(#31)

2002- Mike Williams (#4) or Dwight Feeney(#11) or Albert Haynesworth (#15) or Ed Reed (#24)

thats enough pain......

:worthy: