Offensive line or QB with first pick?

levitre and wood should be enough?

WRONG!

if our line cant protect our qb, get ready for another qb wheel of fortune. (regardless of vick/mcnabb)

our running game is great. with pass protection our qbs can get it done too. i wont mind our 2nd or 3rd pick on a qb, but the first has to be the best available o lineman.

someone please forward this to the bills front office. (i dont think they know what they're doing)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRONG!

if our line cant protect our qb, get ready for another qb wheel of fortune. (regardless of vick/mcnabb)

our running game is great. with pass protection our qbs can get it done too. i wont mind our 2nd or 3rd pick on a qb, but the first has to be the best available o lineman.

someone please forward this to the bills front office. (i dont think they know what they're doing)

Sorry, wrong. Roethlesberger and Rodgers proved a good QB will be good regardless of their line. A good line will make the QB better but it will not make a bad QB into a good one. Just doesn't work that way, never has. You can build up your lines to be the best in the NFL, but unless you have a QB, you end up like the Jets---lucky to get in the playoffs, won a few games, but ultimately have no chance against a team with a great QB in a championship game, unless your team is unbelievably skilled everywhere else(ala Bucs or Ravens). So you can either try and get good at 21 positions or get good at 1 position(the QB) to get the same result. I think its a lot easier to get good at 1 position rather than 21...

WRONG!

Why can't they just get a QB, let him sit for a season, and develop the line while the guys sits? Then you have both things improving without killing a Quarterback. Much more time efficient.

I don't think you know what your doing. You need a QB in development AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! It's gonna take some time anyway, and the line can come together in the meantime.

If Clausen slips to #9 (unlikely) take him....say no to Bradford!...pray for Okung

I'd really like to see the Bills trade down to take Bulaga...I think #9 might be too high for him...but then again who can really say...if he's as NFL-ready as some analysts say then go for it!

I do think one of the 5-star OTs in the draft (according to scout.com) will drop to us in the second round...those 5-star OTs being...

Okung

Williams

Davis

Bulaga

Brown

Campbell

PS: I like the idea of McClain...but unless the defense (and/or special teams) plans to score most of our points this year we should probably opt for an OT

Sorry, wrong. Roethlesberger and Rodgers proved a good QB will be good regardless of their line. A good line will make the QB better but it will not make a bad QB into a good one. Just doesn't work that way, never has. You can build up your lines to be the best in the NFL, but unless you have a QB, you end up like the Jets---lucky to get in the playoffs, won a few games, but ultimately have no chance against a team with a great QB in a championship game, unless your team is unbelievably skilled everywhere else(ala Bucs or Ravens). So you can either try and get good at 21 positions or get good at 1 position(the QB) to get the same result. I think its a lot easier to get good at 1 position rather than 21...

Roeth and Rodgers didn't have terrible lines like ours - I think the Jets are more than just lucky-they have set up a lot of things for the future D'Brickashaw and Co. were high draft picks that took awhile to develop. Beef up the line! O-Tackle

WRONG!

QB

Roeth and Rodgers didn't have terrible lines like ours - I think the Jets are more than just lucky-they have set up a lot of things for the future D'Brickashaw and Co. were high draft picks that took awhile to develop. Beef up the line! O-Tackle

They didn't? They were among the most sacked QBs in the NFL the past 2 years---more than the Bills QBs. Lets be real here. Their pass protection was as bad if not worse many times than the Bills. Roethlesberger and Rodgers weer tied for the NFL lead with 50 sacks each. The Bills trio had 46 sacks total. So yes, their lines were as bad if not worse at protecting their QBs as the Bills were and both finished with QB ratings of over 100 on the year(100.5 for Roethlesberger and 103.2 for Rodgers)

Lets stop making excuses and start realizing that QBs are able to play well with poor offensive lines.

WRONG!

completely 100% agree... OL in 1st or 2nd and either DE/DT/LB with the other. In addition - Lefeuver in 3rd is fine.

If we draft Tebow in 1st or sign Vick as qb, then the following line will suffice, due to them being lefties:

LT - Levitre, LG - Wood, C- Hangartner, RG - Incognito, RT - _____ (not bell or butler)

depth - Bell, Butler, Simmons

if our QB is McNabb or TE then this wouldn't work being that I don't think Levitre would hold up all year against opposing teams best pass rushers. in this draft scenario we then take OL in first round and Lefeuver in the 3rd to groom behind McNabb or Trent Part Deux.

pitt and greenbay also had top ten rushing attacks...i think with pierce prob on his way out of ny we trade down to the giants 15th pick and pick up their 2nd round pick and draft bulaga at 15 and get a mlb(spikes is a dream) in the 2nd and a d tackle with the giants pick

Why can't they just get a QB, let him sit for a season, and develop the line while the guys sits? Then you have both things improving without killing a Quarterback. Much more time efficient.

I don't think you know what your doing. You need a QB in development AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! It's gonna take some time anyway, and the line can come together in the meantime.

No, no no... everyone knows that rookie QBs have to start every game their rookie year. And if they don't get good protection that first year, they are guaranteed to flame out. I'm pretty sure Detroit has already given up on Matt Stafford, and it's all because they didn't put him behind a good o-line this year.

No, there's only 2 winning moves here:

1.) Go LT in the first round this year, RT in the first round next year, swing tackle in the first round in 2012, then draft a QB in 2013, and start winning big around 2015. Possibly as soon as 2014.

2.) Take a flyer on a mid-round QB every year, and given the <10% success rate on those guys, it should only take us 10 or 11 tries to find a Kyle Orton type. Super Bowl, here we come!

Look, no one is saying draft a QB in the first just for the sake of doing so. For example, if (when? I'm legitimately scared) the Bills draft Tebow at #9, I'll throw up. There's 2 QBs in this draft that rational people/scouts generally have first-round grades on. I doubt either one will last to #9, but if either does, he MUST be the pick. You can't just say you'll wait until the o-line is good, then draft a QB in the first round. Supply is very limited. Most years, there's either 2 or 3 QBs drafted in the first round. Sometimes one lasts to the late teens or early twenties, sometimes they're all gone around the top 10. When you have a chance at one, you have to take that chance.

QB at 9 this year is too desperate. To play in Buffalo, the QB has to have a certain personality. They have to have the attitude of a LB and the balls of a Buffalo. The most talented QB without these attributes will fail in Buffalo. It's a special town. A hard working town. That's why Cali boys can't make it here. McNabb won't make it. Claussen is too much of a pretty boy. Bradford is too weak. Don't know if anyone is out there that can make it this year. Pick the best OL or DL available that will fit the offense/defensive philosophy of the coach.....and hope again!

NO PROJECTS!!!

Rodgers and Roth are down field passers, not check down generals like the Bills perfer. So they are going to take a lot of sacks. Also I'm really afraid how far it would set the franchise back if we draft a QB in the first round and they are a bust. Yikes can you imagine. Compared to the last few drafts this QB class really scares me! All that being said if they do draft a QB at #9 I'll understand.

QB at 9 this year is too desperate. To play in Buffalo, the QB has to have a certain personality. They have to have the attitude of a LB and the balls of a Buffalo. The most talented QB without these attributes will fail in Buffalo. It's a special town. A hard working town. That's why Cali boys can't make it here. McNabb won't make it. Claussen is too much of a pretty boy. Bradford is too weak. Don't know if anyone is out there that can make it this year. Pick the best OL or DL available that will fit the offense/defensive philosophy of the coach.....and hope again!

NO PROJECTS!!!

So what's the plan then, wait for Manning or Brees to become available in trade? Go after Big Ben? All rookie QBs are projects, and all established QBs get signed to big contract extensions. The only QBs that are ever available are the ones who aren't proven yet, or the ones that look to be over the hill.

No, no no... everyone knows that rookie QBs have to start every game their rookie year. And if they don't get good protection that first year, they are guaranteed to flame out. I'm pretty sure Detroit has already given up on Matt Stafford, and it's all because they didn't put him behind a good o-line this year.

No, there's only 2 winning moves here:

1.) Go LT in the first round this year, RT in the first round next year, swing tackle in the first round in 2012, then draft a QB in 2013, and start winning big around 2015. Possibly as soon as 2014.

2.) Take a flyer on a mid-round QB every year, and given the <10% success rate on those guys, it should only take us 10 or 11 tries to find a Kyle Orton type. Super Bowl, here we come!

Look, no one is saying draft a QB in the first just for the sake of doing so. For example, if (when? I'm legitimately scared) the Bills draft Tebow at #9, I'll throw up. There's 2 QBs in this draft that rational people/scouts generally have first-round grades on. I doubt either one will last to #9, but if either does, he MUST be the pick. You can't just say you'll wait until the o-line is good, then draft a QB in the first round. Supply is very limited. Most years, there's either 2 or 3 QBs drafted in the first round. Sometimes one lasts to the late teens or early twenties, sometimes they're all gone around the top 10. When you have a chance at one, you have to take that chance.

Well put.

They didn't? They were among the most sacked QBs in the NFL the past 2 years---more than the Bills QBs. Lets be real here. Their pass protection was as bad if not worse many times than the Bills. Roethlesberger and Rodgers weer tied for the NFL lead with 50 sacks each. The Bills trio had 46 sacks total. So yes, their lines were as bad if not worse at protecting their QBs as the Bills were and both finished with QB ratings of over 100 on the year(100.5 for Roethlesberger and 103.2 for Rodgers)

Lets stop making excuses and start realizing that QBs are able to play well with poor offensive lines.

The thing to realize though is that QBs capable of leading a team to an SB win can be acquired in all sorts of ways and that actually until Manning finally won one and RoboQB led Pitts to a win that no QB drafteed in the 1st round since Dallas chose Aikman had led the team that drafted him to an SB win.

Its just really hard to pick a QB capable of winning the SB in the draft (for every Peyton Manning there are several Ryan Leafs).

A far better strategy would seem to be to instead try to pick up your franchise QB as a reject who has played the Pro game from some other team (Brad Johnson is the best example as he was actually a two time loser before he proved he could lead a team to win the big one.

Likewise, there are tons of examples of franchise (if you want to define leading a team to an SB win) QBs who can either acquired as FAs after they were rejected or walked away from the teams that drafted them (Favre, Dilfer), UDFAs like Warner, a lower round draft like Brady if you want to catch lightening in a bottle or even trade away something of value to get a Steve Young or one of the studs like Elway.

Its definitely a QB league but this does not mean at all that you need to look to this year's QB draft class (all of whom have big ? marks making them likely the next JP Losman if you spend a 1st rounder on them.

The thing to realize though is that QBs capable of leading a team to an SB win can be acquired in all sorts of ways and that actually until Manning finally won one and RoboQB led Pitts to a win that no QB drafteed in the 1st round since Dallas chose Aikman had led the team that drafted him to an SB win.

Its just really hard to pick a QB capable of winning the SB in the draft (for every Peyton Manning there are several Ryan Leafs).

A far better strategy would seem to be to instead try to pick up your franchise QB as a reject who has played the Pro game from some other team (Brad Johnson is the best example as he was actually a two time loser before he proved he could lead a team to win the big one.

Likewise, there are tons of examples of franchise (if you want to define leading a team to an SB win) QBs who can either acquired as FAs after they were rejected or walked away from the teams that drafted them (Favre, Dilfer), UDFAs like Warner, a lower round draft like Brady if you want to catch lightening in a bottle or even trade away something of value to get a Steve Young or one of the studs like Elway.

Its definitely a QB league but this does not mean at all that you need to look to this year's QB draft class (all of whom have big ? marks making them likely the next JP Losman if you spend a 1st rounder on them.

C'mon.

So we have to fluke our way to the top? (Not including Elway is a bit disingenuous)

We need to raid supermarket aisles!

Sure there are lots of failed 1st rounders, but you know about those guys, you don't hear about all the supermarket baggers that don't win a Super Bowl, or the failed 2nd,3rd, 4th,5th etc.rounders, there are just hundreds of them.

As far as acquiring a guy, while I'm not opposed to it (who do you have in mind?), but it surely isn't better odds than drafting a first round QB. Again, many a QB has changed teams and become Todd Collins, or Billy Joe Hobert, you just don't hear the story.

How many times have the Bills picked a QB in the first? At least recently I believe it's only Jim Kelly, and JP Lossman.

So they missed ONCE!

Just pick a $%#ing 1st rd. QB and develop him, why all the backdoor philosophies?