SAINTS vs VIKINGS GAMETHREAD

davefan66

The 80s? :censored:

So how did they settle the 1958 championship between the Colts and Giants? Punt, pass and kick contest?

Oh. So using today's game as an example, both teams had a reasonable chance to score enough in 60 minutes, but both teams didn't have a reasonable chance to score enough in 66 minutes. Makes perfect sense.

You can continue your incessant whine about deciding games on a coin flip (didn't you make this case a few weeks ago when the defense score the winning points?), but it's simply so.

My bad. Of course they've had OT in playoffs. I was thinking about OT in the regular season. That was added in the 80's I think.

Obviously we won't agree. To me you gloss over the inherent unfairness of the rule. It's not the rule that people like, it's the change they hate. No one wanted instant replay. Now it's part of the game and people are glad to have it. All you have to do is make sure each team gets an offensive possession before you make it sudden death, at least for the playoffs. Simple, uncomplicated and fair. Once it's in place everyone will be fine with it.

PTR

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would do with OT...

Still have the coin flip. Winner decides to get the ball or defend. No special "start the ball on the 20" rule, it starts with a kickoff. 1st team with the ball then has to get either a TD or FG, or punt. 2nd team then either has to match what 1st team scored to keep OT going, or beat it if 1st team got a FG/punted for the win. If both teams got a FG/TD/punted, keep playing till the end of the 15 minute OT period. In regular season, game ends in tie. In playoffs, start another OT period.

Sounds a lot like the NCAA to me.

Congrats New Orleans. Well deserved.

Really?

Cheap shots at Favre all nite after the ball is long gone.

Three shaky calls in OT ("first" down when bobbled ball never crossed the line, incidental contact of feet "PI", and "catch" on the ground) nets their young K a 40 yard attempt.

"America's Team" making the SB was a done deal as soon as the coin toss was won.

Really?

Cheap shots at Favre all nite after the ball is long gone.

Three shaky calls in OT ("first" down when bobbled ball never crossed the line, incidental contact of feet "PI", and "catch" on the ground) nets their young K a 40 yard attempt.

"America's Team" making the SB was a done deal as soon as the coin toss was won.

Must hurt you to hear the Saints stole that title from your Pats*, who have been the beneficiary of more gift calls than any team I've ever seen. The good teams get the calls, and Favre got a few, too (the Hargrove hit that shook him up was way legit). Call it how you want, but they went to booth review on three calls on one drive to at least try to get it right. Prior to two minutes left in the game they are not even going to go there, and the original call is going to to stand.