Revis, Mangold and Harris

Dawgg

The Bills could have had both Revis, David Harris, and Nick Mangold.

Instead, Marv Levy took Whitner, McCargo, and Poz.

Hiring Marv was the biggest mistake Ralph Wilson made. I look forward to improved drafts under Buddy Nix. :ph34r:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a mock draft game I picked Revis for the Bills. But that year we took Lynch not D.Whit.

It's hard to fault Marv on the Marshawn pick because the guy we pegged to draft (Patrick Willis) got taken one pick ahead of us. Marshawn was the 2nd highest rated RB in the draft at a position that we could've used an upgrade. Grabbing Poz in the 2nd sort of eased the pain of missing out on Willis (at the time).

But, in general, drafting a RB so high is against my philosophy. RBs are a dime a dozen. Find yourself a fred jackson (there are lots of 'em) and give him the best offensive line possible. That's my take.

It's hard to fault Marv on the Marshawn pick because the guy we pegged to draft (Patrick Willis) got taken one pick ahead of us. Marshawn was the 2nd highest rated RB in the draft at a position that we could've used an upgrade. Grabbing Poz in the 2nd sort of eased the pain of missing out on Willis (at the time).

But, in general, drafting a RB so high is against my philosophy. RBs are a dime a dozen. Find yourself a fred jackson (there are lots of 'em) and give him the best offensive line possible. That's my take.

Marv said they had Poz as the #1 LB

Hiring Marv was the biggest mistake Ralph Wilson made. I look forward to improved drafts under Buddy Nix. :ph34r:

I actually don't think Harris is any better than Poz. Yeah, he's good, but Poz turned into a very, very good player this year. I guess the issue is whether they needed to trade up for him when they could have had Harris, a functionally equivalent player.

yada yada yada - give it a rest already - try looking to the future

I actually don't think Harris is any better than Poz. Yeah, he's good, but Poz turned into a very, very good player this year. I guess the issue is whether they needed to trade up for him when they could have had Harris, a functionally equivalent player.

Harris was rated above Poz on a number of boards, and rightfully so.

Poz is a pretty good player. Harris is a Pro-Bowl caliber player.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Every team in the league could've drafted Tom Brady but he went in the 6th round.

There was no hindsight. The Bills were the laughing stock of the draft when they took Whitner and McCargo in the first round. It was obvious then, and it's even more obvious now watching these players excel in the playoffs.

Reality check... Poz is not a very, very good player. He is a very, very, mediocre player. He played better in the latter part of the season but he was only mediocre at best and he is not very tough. Harris is a much better player. He reads the play better and he is a much harder hitter and he can shed blocks better.

Poz may be better than Harris at checkers, soccer and parcheesi but Harris is a better football player.

There was no hindsight. The Bills were the laughing stock of the draft when they took Whitner and McCargo in the first round. It was obvious then, and it's even more obvious now watching these players excel in the playoffs.

This board has collectively made better decisions than the front office in the last 4 years.

Just how much say do you think Marv Levy had? There is a reason why Modrak and Guy were up Ralph's anus, Marv was mostly a figure head because of his previous success in Buffalo and the way he is admired in WNY. If you think every pick made while Marv was here was his call, you are a bumbling idiot. He might have had input (very little if that) when picks were made. He was hired to be the face of the front office and that is all he was, now every unknowledgeable person on this board blames everything negative (which was almost everything) that happened while he was here on him.

Harris would be a disaster at a Tampa-2 MLB. Don't let that stand in the way of a good rant, though.

Harris would have been just fine manning the middle in Perry Fewell's defense. But don't let that stand in the way of an excuse. :ph34r:

Just how much say do you think Marv Levy had? There is a reason why Modrak and Guy were up Ralph's anus, Marv was mostly a figure head because of his previous success in Buffalo and the way he is admired in WNY. If you think every pick made while Marv was here was his call, you are a bumbling idiot. He might have had input (very little if that) when picks were made. He was hired to be the face of the front office and that is all he was, now every unknowledgeable person on this board blames everything negative (which was almost everything) that happened while he was here on him.

Ralph's anus notwithstanding, Marv had final say on draft day, end of story. He's the one who decided not to trade down from #8. He's the one who OK'ed the trade up to draft Poz.

Yes, he's not solely responsible, no single person is solely responsible for anything in a major, multi-million dollar organization. But he had the final say and it happened under his watch. It falls on him. In any case, I'm not too worried when you disagree with me given how often you are flat out wrong. :ph34r:

Ralph's anus notwithstanding, Marv had final say on draft day, end of story. He's the one who decided not to trade down from #8. He's the one who OK'ed the trade up to draft Poz.

Yes, he's not solely responsible, no single person is solely responsible for anything in a major, multi-million dollar organization. But he had the final say and it happened under his watch. It falls on him. In any case, I'm not too worried when you disagree with me given how often you are flat out wrong. :ph34r:

And your proof of the above is?

About the same as his proof that David Harris would be good in Fewell's defense. Harris' name was the largest bandied about last offseason as trade bait until Ryan came in and changed them to the aggressive 34 defense they now play. Good coaches put good players in the best position to succeed. Harris great next to Bart Scott in the Jets defense. He'd be an extreme liability in Buffalo, especially on passing downs where the Tampa-2 MLB is responsible for the middle third.

I'd be all about getting Revis, Mangold, and Harris in the draft as long as we get a coach who will put them in a position to utilize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

My memory is all I have. I remember Ralph stating that Marv had final say. Marv, on numerous occasions, acknowledged that he had final say but nevertheless emphasized that he was there to build a consensus.

About the same as his proof that David Harris would be good in Fewell's defense. Harris' name was the largest bandied about last offseason as trade bait until Ryan came in and changed them to the aggressive 34 defense they now play. Good coaches put good players in the best position to succeed. Harris great next to Bart Scott in the Jets defense. He'd be an extreme liability in Buffalo, especially on passing downs where the Tampa-2 MLB is responsible for the middle third.

I'd be all about getting Revis, Mangold, and Harris in the draft as long as we get a coach who will put them in a position to utilize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

The moment you start drafting solely for a scheme, you get into trouble. Harris is a disruptive player that can rush the passer and is at least "decent" in coverage, I've seen him cover tight ends and running backs with reasonable success. I'd like to think Perry could have found a place for Harris on the field, somewhere.

In any case, I think those 3 picks, as compared with the selections the Jets made, are indicative of a terribly flawed personnel department and I'm hopeful that Buddy Nix will change that. :ph34r:

My memory is all I have. I remember Ralph stating that Marv had final say. Marv, on numerous occasions, acknowledged that he had final say but nevertheless emphasized that he was there to build a consensus.

You're staking your entire theory based on what RALPH WILSON SAID IN A PRESS CONFERENCE, and not what been reported on and off the record since 2006?

Then by all means keep up your crusade. It adds to your credibility.

You're staking your entire theory based on what RALPH WILSON SAID IN A PRESS CONFERENCE, and not what been reported on and off the record since 2006?

Then by all means keep up your crusade. It adds to your credibility.

I'll go with what came out of the horse's mouth rather than the unsubstantiated "off-the-record" reports that you eat up. If Ralph Wilson and Marv Levy both said and acknowledged that he has final say, then that's good enough for me.

Marv is a Hall of Fame coach. Nobody wants to tarnish his grand legacy. It's rather uncomfortable to refer back to the Bills' brain-dead front office moves and attribute them to Marv... so it's only natural that national media types refer to Marv as a figurehead. That's the easy, comfortable thing to do because you can criticize the Bills franchise but Marv can come out relatively unscathed. Were it any other GM and not the venerable, lovable Marv, the story would be quite different.

If those reports makes you feel more comfortable, roll with it brother :ph34r:

I'm not defending Marv, but did any of us know how good revis would be? I don't even think the Jets knew he'd be this good. Sometimes you stumble onto greatness.

Ya...Not really anyone's job around here to know...On the other hand it WAS Marv's job so...

And I'm quite sure the Jets thought Revis was going to be a very good NFL CB or they would have never taken him where they did...

You know? :ph34r:

The moment you start drafting solely for a scheme, you get into trouble.

:ph34r:

Harris is a disruptive player that can rush the passer and is at least "decent" in coverage, I've seen him cover tight ends and running backs with reasonable success. I'd like to think Perry could have found a place for Harris on the field, somewhere.

I'm sure they could have found a place for him on obvious running downs but your contention that he's "decent" in coverage is ludicrous and a vain attempt by you to cover a fallacious argument.

In any case, I think those 3 picks, as compared with the selections the Jets made, are indicative of a terribly flawed personnel department and I'm hopeful that Buddy Nix will change that. :ph34r:

The "flaw" starts with a scheme that has been exposed and a "strategy" that keeps the best players on the roster off the field in favor of those who have larger contracts. This team has done a ton of dumb things, that much is certain.

I'll go with what came out of the horse's mouth rather than the unsubstantiated "off-the-record" reports that you eat up. If Ralph Wilson and Marv Levy both said and acknowledged that he has final say, then that's good enough for me.

Marv is a Hall of Fame coach. Nobody wants to tarnish his grand legacy. It's rather uncomfortable to refer back to the Bills' brain-dead front office moves and attribute them to Marv... so it's only natural that national media types refer to Marv as a figurehead. That's the easy, comfortable thing to do because you can criticize the Bills franchise but Marv can come out relatively unscathed. Were it any other GM and not the venerable, lovable Marv, the story would be quite different.

If those reports makes you feel more comfortable, roll with it brother :ph34r:

I know, listening to your inner monologue is always more reassuring than accepting truth that may conflict with that little voice in your head.

I think this guy knows a few public and non-public dealings at OBD.

Levy's role as GM was relatively undefined, although he provided input on the team's draft and personnel decisions, consulted with Jauron and stayed in close contact with Wilson, who lives in suburban Detroit.

He had a mostly hands-off approach in contract talks, leaving that to team vice president Jim Overdorf.

And because Bills' personnel operations and mindset did not change one iota when Brandon replaced Levy, that should give you a hint how much those two had a hand in personnel moves.

so did every other team that drafted before those guys were picked...