Kelly Kulick makes Sports History...becomes first woman

papazoid

If you think bowling ISN'T a sport, you couldn't be more wrong.

If bowling is a sport I suppose you consider tiddly winks, dressing yourself, parchisi, chess, and flossing sports as well. Any overweight, out of shape, drunk, slob can bowl 200. It requires zero athetic ability.

If bowling is a sport I suppose you consider tiddly winks, dressing yourself, parchisi, chess, and flossing sports as well. Any overweight, out of shape, drunk, slob can bowl 200. It requires zero athetic ability.

How about 265 on a PBA-level oil pattern, a score I'm guessing most overweight, out of shape, drunk slobs would never come within 100 pins of throwing?

My brother has his Tour card. At that level, the game is a little more complex than picking up an alley ball off the rack.

How about 265 on a PBA-level oil pattern, a score I'm guessing most overweight, out of shape, drunk slobs would never come within 100 pins of throwing?

My brother has his Tour card. At that level, the game is a little more complex than picking up an alley ball off the rack.

Exactly. I have bowled my entire life and take it very seriously. There is alot of science involved and alot of knowledge is needed to succeed. I have been a 200-210 average bowler and am not nearly as good as your brother, but I know everyone with knowledge of what a sport really is, knows that bowling is 110% a sport.

...dressing yourself, ...sports as well.

I nailed the 'putting on underwear' portion of my routine this morning.

Friend of mine also. I could only dream of having half the ability he does.

How wrong you are.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." ~Ernest Hemingway (if in fact this quote is really his)

It requires precision eye hand coordination, muscle, skill. It's definitely a talent. So I would disagree with you on that. JMO

It requires precision eye hand coordination, muscle, skill. It's definitely a talent. So I would disagree with you on that. JMO

I think it is also "muscle memory."

Muscle memory, also called neuromuscular facilitation, is the neuromuscular system's memorization of motor skills.

There are two types of motor skills involved in muscle memory: fine and gross. Fine motor skills are very minute and small skills we perform with our hands such as brushing teeth, combing hair, playing darts, using a pencil or pen to write, touch typing, playing some musical instruments, or even playing video games. Gross motor skills are those actions that require large body parts and large body movements as in the throwing sports such as bowling, American football, and baseball, sports such as rowing, basketball, golf, martial arts, and tennis, and activities such as driving a car (especially one with a manual transmission), piloting aircraft, playing some musical instruments, and marksmanship.

To the beginner, activities such as brushing the teeth, combing the hair or driving a vehicle are not as easy as they look. As one reinforces those movements through repetition, the neural system learns those fine and gross motor skills to the degree that one no longer needs to think about them, but merely to react and perform appropriately. In this sense, the muscle memory process is an example of automating an OODA loop insofar as one learns to observe, orient, decide, and act.

based on your criteria, so does sewing

Yes.

If somehow you can make sewing competitive... It definately would be a sport!

So what is you point. Just becuause overweight slobs can bowl a 200, it is not a sport? NEWSFASH: There a ton of overweight slobs inthe NFL, somehow they get the benefit at having athletic ability just becuse they can run, skip, and jump. Still doesn't make one ability better than the next. Not everbody can sew well.

Yes.

If somehow you can make sewing competitive... It definitely would be a sport!

It's not a sport, but it is competitive, in terms of sales and what someone can sell their clothing for. I have a cousin that specializes in renaissance clothing, where she can charge miminum $350 for a basic dress. Some of her stuff has been used for TV, in fact one recently filmed special on the Lincoln assisination she made a dress to resemble the dress an actress had on at the theater that night. Now if I tried to do what she does, I'd be lucky to get $5.

It's not a sport, but it is competitive, in terms of sales and what someone can sell their clothing for. I have a cousin that specializes in renaissance clothing, where she can charge miminum $350 for a basic dress. Some of her stuff has been used for TV, in fact one recently filmed special on the Lincoln assisination she made a dress to resemble the dress an actress had on at the theater that night. Now if I tried to do what she does, I'd be lucky to get $5.

Ya... Me too! It would look like this: