Best Rock Guitarists Ever

truth on hold

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Pat Benetar played the guitar, I don't know if she would be classified as a great guitarist though.

Of course you know. She most certainly cannot be classified as a great guitarist.

Awww, aren't you the funny one.

Actually, here is what I appreciate:

Just funnin' with you...sorry that "I loved Charles Nelson Riley on Matchgame as kid" comment was hanging in the shoutbox too long...it was screaming for a smart ass comment...peace!

:D

Odyssey is good...I like my girls better! :huh:

btw- I don't recall Pat Benetar really playing the guitar...her husband, Neal Gerrardo (sp?) was the resident wank in that band..

Just funnin' with you...sorry that "I loved Charles Nelson Riley on Matchgame as kid" comment was hanging in the shoutbox too long...it was screaming for a smart ass comment...peace!

:D

Odyssey is good...I like my girls better! :huh:

btw- I don't recall Pat Benetar really playing the guitar...her husband, Neal Gerrardo (sp?) was the resident wank in that band..

he was a good guitar player .... see "hit me with your best shot"

I wasn't touting Lifeson as tops, I just expected as popular as Rush is, someone would mention him. I love his playing, but like I said, being #3 in a trio doesn't get him much credit. As far as you ripping on him, I really don't know where that's coming from, but whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Van Halen

heck, i'll put Gordie Johnson ahead of alex when it comes to Canadian guitar players (and that's a short list to begin with). and i knew Gordo when he was a mere bass player standing next to a certain tuba player in a high school band. not a big fan of his new stuff, but i'll tell you his version of "Come Back Baby" absolutely blew my socks off.

how Keith Richards doesn't rate on anyone's list, well that's up for debate among the tone deaf ....

as for my Johnny Cash reference, sorry, was in a good mood grooving to Mr. Cash that night. ...

jw

heck, i'll put Gordie Johnson ahead of alex when it comes to Canadian guitar players (and that's a short list to begin with). and i knew Gordo when he was a mere bass player standing next to a certain tuba player in a high school band. not a big fan of his new stuff, but i'll tell you his version of "Come Back Baby" absolutely blew my socks off.

how Keith Richards doesn't rate on anyone's list, well that's up for debate among the tone deaf ....

as for my Johnny Cash reference, sorry, was in a good mood grooving to Mr. Cash that night. ...

jw

I voted for Chuck Berry, an indirect nod to Keith, who coined the phrase "If it ain't Cuck, it anin't !@#$!"

Keith is probably my guy too...but some people like wanks, some people appreciate the whole package...Keith Richards was rock -n' roll cool at its best... his guitar playing is normally overlooked, because Mick Taylor, and Ron Wood were slightly flashier, and, maybe, a little more technically proficient... but any rock music that is praised for its' technical proficiency is a major turn off to me... Steely Dan and Rush make me want to vomit..

I voted for Chuck Berry, an indirect nod to Keith, who coined the phrase "If it ain't Cuck, it anin't !@#$!"

Keith is probably my guy too...but some people like wanks, some people appreciate the whole package...Keith Richards was rock -n' roll cool at its best... his guitar playing is normally overlooked, because Mick Taylor, and Ron Wood were slightly flashier, and, maybe, a little more technically proficient... but any rock music that is praised for its' technical proficiency is a major turn off to me... Steely Dan and Rush make me want to vomit..

i concur.

since when did proficiency = rock.

make mine as unseemly as possible, which is why i have an affection toward the 'Mats.

Keith would never be a "Guitar Hero" champ, and there's plenty of good to be said about that.

jw

jw

who's gordie johnson?

i concur.

since when did proficiency = rock.

make mine as unseemly as possible, which is why i have an affection toward the 'Mats.

Keith would never be a "Guitar Hero" champ, and there's plenty of good to be said about that.

jw

Replacements are the last rock'n'roll band I ever loved... "Color Me Impressed" is one of my all-time favorite singles... just purchased a copy of it to put on my juke-box! "I Will Dare" is a killer-B!

As for Keith, the "solo" on "Sympathy For the Devil" is still one of my greatest rock 'n' roll moments... a little wankier (as wanky as Keith is ever gonna get), from the dark Stones period (post 1981), but check out this live version of "Sympathy", Keith kicks out the jams at around the 2:20 mark, if you can't sit through Mick and the cast of Fame... pretty sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMaozR-HW6w

Replacements are the last rock'n'roll band I ever loved... "Color Me Impressed" is one of my all-time favorite singles... just purchased a copy of it to put on my juke-box! "I Will Dare" is a killer-B!

As for Keith, the "solo" on "Sympathy For the Devil" is still one of my greatest rock 'n' roll moments... a little wankier (as wanky as Keith is ever gonna get), from the dark Stones period (post 1981), but check out this live version of "Sympathy", Keith kicks out the jams at around the 2:20 mark, if you can't sit through Mick and the cast of Fame... pretty sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMaozR-HW6w

no need to convince me. the 'Mats are my all-time favorite thing. though, there's one band that's caught my attention, and i'm scooping up everything they've done: Drive By Truckers.

good god, i've got "Something's Got to Give" playing through my head phones right now. wow! gammy that.

jw

In defense of Steely Dan (the band not the TSW poster) they aren't a rock band. To judge them by rock standards is ridiculous. They are stylistically closer to Duke Ellington than the Rolling Stones. Even if you don't care for musical proficiency (an odd thought I have to say) you might want to try to appreciate their compositions, arrangements and lyrics. There are very few who in popular music who can touch Donald and Walt when it comes to composing and arranging.

They have had an influence on rock (for better or worse) because many, if not most, trained musicians have a great deal of respect for Steely Dan.

Edit:

I should have said "To judge them using a rock sensibility is ridiculous."

In defense of Steely Dan (the band not the TSW poster) they aren't a rock band. To judge them by rock standards is ridiculous. They are stylistically closer to Duke Ellington than the Rolling Stones. Even if you don't care for musical proficiency (an odd thought I have to say) you might want to try to appreciate their compositions, arrangements and lyrics. There are very few who in popular music who can touch Donald and Walt when it comes to composing and arranging.

They have had an influence on rock (for better or worse) because many, if not most, trained musicians have a great deal of respect for Steely Dan.

steely dan loved guitar and brought out the best in many a great studio musician. even becker's solos were quite good

steely dan loved guitar and brought out the best in many a great studio musician. even becker's solos were quite good

Becker has actually become a pretty respectable guitar player.

I don't know who the axeman was for Ronnie James Dio, but here's a terrific cover of the solo from "Rainbow in the Dark"

Dio's axeman was Vivian Campbell who also played for Whitesnake and Def Leppard....

Speaking of metal guitarists, to the list of best guitarists I would add:

Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott - Pantera - proved you didn't have to play fast to be a metal legend - what a crushing sound he had

Rocky George - On of the best rhythm guitarists - really opened up Suicidal Tendencies to a broader audience

Kirk Hammett - Saw him play on high speed camera on an episode of Time Warp - amazing what that guy can do

Dave Mustaine - His influence has really had far-ranging impact on metal - so much can be tied back to him

Best Steely Dan solos:

- Kid Charlamegne

- Peg

- Boddisatva

- Aja

- Reelin in the Years

Carlton's work on Kid Charlamegne was mind boggling

Reelin in the Years is some of the best playing I have ever heard. Great tune, and its cutting lyrics remind me of an ex

jeff the skunk Baxter, denny dias, larry carlton, elliot randall. Becker?

Becker doesn't have the guitar chops of any of those guys, to be sure. (You can add Jon Herington and Wayne Krantz to that list, too.) He is a very tasteful player and he can make any solo sound like it belongs in a Steely Dan song. Walter is a much better bass player than he is a guitarist (check out his 2nd solos album, Circus Money). But he has become a respectable guitar player. He solos much more in concert now, and he seems to be better every time I see them.

Denny Dias may be the most underrated guitarist ever. But he has a jazz sound, not really a rock guitarist.

Becker doesn't have the guitar chops of any of those guys, to be sure. (You can add Jon Herington and Wayne Krantz to that list, too.) He is a very tasteful player and he can make any solo sound like it belongs in a Steely Dan song. Walter is a much better bass player than he is a guitarist (check out his 2nd solos album, Circus Money). But he has become a respectable guitar player. He solos much more in concert now, and he seems to be better every time I see them.

Denny Dias may be the most underrated guitarist ever. But he has a jazz sound, not really a rock guitarist.

Dean, you sound like a player. did you play in any buffalo bands?

Dean, you sound like a player. did you play in any buffalo bands?

Not a player, unfortunately. I studied music some when I was younger (mostly drums and piano) but never put in the time and work necessary to get really good.

I come from a musical family, though. My brother is a life-long professional guitarist/singer, my Grandfather and uncles have worked as professional musicians and my Mother even did a little singing with Pittsburgh area big bands when she was a teenager.

Dio's axeman was Vivian Campbell who also played for Whitesnake and Def Leppard....

Speaking of metal guitarists, to the list of best guitarists I would add:

Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott - Pantera - proved you didn't have to play fast to be a metal legend - what a crushing sound he had

Rocky George - On of the best rhythm guitarists - really opened up Suicidal Tendencies to a broader audience

Kirk Hammett - Saw him play on high speed camera on an episode of Time Warp - amazing what that guy can do

Dave Mustaine - His influence has really had far-ranging impact on metal - so much can be tied back to him

If we are gonna include metal, then this thread is an immediate fail for not mentioning Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.

Ah, Echo and the Bunnymen....nice. Very cool band...I've been obsessed with Crocodiles for probably 15 years. Huge record; love it.

You are the man! Looks like we both have a soft spot for the British 80's!

Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned Ry Cooder.

And that's a shame.

And while they might not belong in the category of "Best" guitarists (like many of the already mentioned, IMO) few rock guitarists are as fun as Lowell George (RIP) and Paul Barrere.

Yep, I would love it if you would list your influences right here, right now Chef....It would give me some perspective about your mindset. Please?

Allman Brothers

Grateful Dead

moe.

Blind Faith

Return to Forever

You know...bands with guitarist in them.