Coordinators

billsfan_34

Anyone have a hunch on the next O, D, And ST Coordinators? I wonder if anyone has been interviewed yet as it has been very tight lipped after the Gailey hire. Would love to see a 3-4 back in Buffalo...anyone that remembers wades D here must admit it was pretty damn good!

Anyone have a hunch on the next O, D, And ST Coordinators? I wonder if anyone has been interviewed yet as it has been very tight lipped after the Gailey hire. Would love to see a 3-4 back in Buffalo...anyone that remembers wades D here must admit it was pretty damn good!

The only real name for D coordinator I've seen is Jim Bates.. He runs a 4-3 not too unlike the defense Gregg Williams used here.. We'd need new LBs and DTs that control gaps, not penetrate... Who knows..

I'm surprised its taking this long, you'd think Chan would have already known who he wanted to bring in.

I also thought they'd have a replacement for Guy right away, the timing of the firing made me think the replacement was already in line.

That head start on firing Jauron really didn't make much difference in the FO.

No idea, but I'll throw out a guess: Cam Cameron, Jim Bates. Assistant HC Dan Reeves.

Not sure Chan's implication that we might get some unknowns was anything but a "company line" kind of courtesy nod/CYA move to Buddy and Ralph.

Cameron is already under contract in Baltimore. I'm just hoping some young blood is brought in and the staff doesn't turn out to be a bunch of old guys who've lost connection with the modern game. JMO

Isn't it fairly common these days to have a staff reasonably assembled when hired? I know other coaches mentioned for the vacancies this year had staffs already put together. I don't mind the wait, as long as they get it right with enough time to properly evaluate before free agency and the draft, it just seems strange to me that there is nobody besides Chan in place.

Isn't it fairly common these days to have a staff reasonably assembled when hired? I know other coaches mentioned for the vacancies this year had staffs already put together. I don't mind the wait, as long as they get it right with enough time to properly evaluate before free agency and the draft, it just seems strange to me that there is nobody besides Chan in place.

Yes, that seemed strange to me as well. A GM should want to know what type of staff the head coaching candidates have on board with him before deciding which candidate to hire.

I disagree that it is abnormal for a head coach to be hired and then take some time to put together a staff.

He surely has some ideas who he wants on his staff, but job interviews and checking out other candidates

than the ones you already know requires some time. Also, it is *possible* that he might want someone

from one of the playoff teams so he might need to wait for that.

Still, pickings are slim with so few teams having let their coaching staffs go this offseason. He will either

have to get people who were not coaching last year or he'll have to convince people from other's staffs

to come here for a promotion (eg LB coach to DC).

One of my biggest concerns with how long it took to hire the HC was that there would be few coaches available

to fill out his staff.

Chan and Buddy have no coherent plan except to say their were so many people interested and to bash the Raiders. Chan doesn't have a clue. I'm guessing coordinators don't want to be here either - just like head coaches. UB probably has a staff they could pilfer.

Looks Like Maybe Dan PEE's for DC stand by for news many rumors currently pointing that way see my Thread on Dan Pee's

Chan and Buddy have no coherent plan except to say their were so many people interested and to bash the Raiders. Chan doesn't have a clue. I'm guessing coordinators don't want to be here either - just like head coaches. UB probably has a staff they could pilfer.

dude, you suck

I disagree that it is abnormal for a head coach to be hired and then take some time to put together a staff.

He surely has some ideas who he wants on his staff, but job interviews and checking out other candidates

than the ones you already know requires some time. Also, it is *possible* that he might want someone

from one of the playoff teams so he might need to wait for that.

Still, pickings are slim with so few teams having let their coaching staffs go this offseason. He will either

have to get people who were not coaching last year or he'll have to convince people from other's staffs

to come here for a promotion (eg LB coach to DC).

One of my biggest concerns with how long it took to hire the HC was that there would be few coaches available

to fill out his staff.

Thank you. I'm sure Nix has a list of people he would like to hire, but that doesn't mean circumstances haven't changed for the people on that list, even over the past couple of weeks. This is typically a very busy time for team coaching staffs and front offices. There is a lot of hiring and firing going on all over the league, and a lot of positions are coming open. Not to mention that some of the people on Nix's list will be people who are on teams that are still playing. That's very common too, for the successful teams to get raided for assistants and scouts by other teams.

Seems perfectly normal to me that they haven't announced the full staff yet.

You don't know much about football, do you..

Yeah, and why did we switch to the 4-3 again?

Yeah, and why did we switch to the 4-3 again?

Yes, the Bills havent ran the 3-4 since Wade was here. We switched when Wade was fired and the defense hasnt even been respectable since. So yeah, we switched, was it the right move, probably not seeing the 3-4 gives offenses fits. Looks like we know who our OC is, and if Pees comes in definitely the 3-4 where maybin and Poz will man the OLB spots.

I'm thinking Curtis Modkins for OC. For DC and ST, I don't have any specific names, but I'm guessing that both will fit at least 2 of the following criteria:

1.) Over 55.

2.) Never held this job at the NFL level.

3.) Worked with Gailey in the past.

Yes, the Bills havent ran the 3-4 since Wade was here. We switched when Wade was fired and the defense hasnt even been respectable since. So yeah, we switched, was it the right move, probably not seeing the 3-4 gives offenses fits. Looks like we know who our OC is, and if Pees comes in definitely the 3-4 where maybin and Poz will man the OLB spots.

Maybe double-check on that one:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

2003: 2nd in yards allowed, 5th in points allowed

2004: 2nd in yards allowed, 8th in points allowed

That's a little better than respectable. And I'd say it was respectable, but not really good, in 2 of Jauron's years:

2006: 18th in yards allowed, 10th in points allowed

2008: 14th in yards allowed, 14th in points allowed

Switching from 4-3 to 3-4 or vice versa is only a good idea when your cupboard is bare defensively, or if most of your good players can play in any scheme. When Greggggo switched from to the 4-3, it took 2 years to build the D back up.

I'm surprised its taking this long, you'd think Chan would have already known who he wanted to bring in.

I also thought they'd have a replacement for Guy right away, the timing of the firing made me think the replacement was already in line.

That head start on firing Jauron really didn't make much difference in the FO.

Maybe Chan didn't know he was going to get a HCing opportunity until recently.

I think that is unfair at this point...let's wait and see...Besides Chan is in all liklihood our OC despite hiring an OC.....