Anyone else EMBARRASSED by the new GM?

Thurman8125

We were comparing draft picks, the role of a GM.

Whitner is not a probowler, but a steady player. also can play almost any DB positions.

Youboty has the talent, but is injury prone.

Williams is an excellent player for the Bills.

Butler is a very good RG and RT.

Ellison, we have such a hard time replacing him.

Not too bad. That is just 2006.

2007: Lynch gave us a very good 2 years, and just needs to get his head on straight.

Posluszny is a solid LB and still getting better.

Edwards was supposed to be, and should have been the team's backup QB.

Wendling is a special teams monster.

Schouman is a good backup tight end.

Some people just want to look at the glass as half empty.

The above is an extremely optimistic assessment of Marv's two drafts!

1a. Donte Whitner, chosen 8th overall, is currently a backup. That's a bust in my book.

1b. John McCargo is also a bust.

3. Youboty isn't even our dime back. (McGee, McKelvin, Florence, and Corner are ahead of him.) Bust.

4. Kyle Williams is a very solid player.

5. Brad Butler is a decent (not good) OL. At a bare minimum, an OL needs to win 80% of his battles on running plays to be considered competent. As a RG, Butler came in a little below that figure.

6. Ellison is better than you'd expect for a 6th round pick. Has played well at times, but overall does not appear to be the answer as a starter.

1. Marshawn Lynch, chosen 12th overall, is a backup. That's a bust. The Bills shouldn't have even considered using this pick on a RB!

2. Poz is a solid LB.

3. Edwards is a decent backup QB

4 - 7 Wendling and Schouman have value as backups/special teams players

Marv came away with literally no starters from his three first round picks! That's a horrific record! I'll grant that he partially made up for that disaster by getting some decent players on the second day of the draft (Butler, Ellison, and Kyle Williams). But he acquired zero game-changers or difference makers, at a time when the team was desperately in need of such guys, and when he clearly had the resources to do so (three first round picks, including two in the top 12). Marv's tenure as GM was an abysmal failure.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the topic: I'm not at all embarrassed by our new GM, because he's done nothing to either establish pride or bring shame. It's simply too early to have an opinion at all. I can say however, that I really like the firing of Guy and that now a detail is coming to light that Modrak wanted :thumbsup:Cushing and it was others who wanted Maybin...i.e. Limp Dick Jauron....as for the Chan hiring, it's one of those things that I've reserved for later. If Chan is able to get this offense to be consistently productive and if the new DC is able to stop the run without giving up 300 yds a game in the pass defense, then I will say that this was a good hire. As for how he "sounds" when he speaks, there are a lot of very good football minds that during press conferences that don't sound like Rhode Scholars, and quite frankly I don't care.....just put a winning team on the field and all is forgiven!!!

Good comment BigBuff.

I like Nix so far. Not sure why you would call him a goofball or bumbling fool. Is it his southern accent. Ignorant people can make suppositions on a person's intellect by their accent.

Regarding not knowing how many coaches the Bills had, I'm curious as to why you think that is an important statistic for a GM to memorize. Please enlighten us.

Just curious what people think about Nix. When he introduced Gailey he was a bumbling fool that didn't even know how many coaches the Bills have had. A 70 year old goofball. So progressive! Typical Bills.

I think this falls into the "not a big deal" category. Look, if you want to search for negative things about someone, at least fine some that actually matter.

If you're going to introduce your new coaching hire by saying he's the Xth coach in Bills' history, you think you might look up the actual number before the press conference, instead of asking someone off-camera what the number is during the press conference.

Just curious what people think about Nix. When he introduced Gailey he was a bumbling fool that didn't even know how many coaches the Bills have had. A 70 year old goofball. So progressive! Typical Bills.

i must have watched a different press confrance. i thought Nix was great he even shut the idiot Sullivan up and made him lokk lik an idiot.

...I thought he was a riot at the press conference! Say what you want but nice to see somebody rattle some chains back at the media. If Buddy and Chan can get some asst quality coaches like Reeves in here I will have my bad attitude about them tempered.

I love how "the media" is somehow a problem with the bills. Apparently the fans still want smoke blown up their asses?

Right. It's the media's fault we can't draft in the first round, won't do a legitimate search for a real gm or can't attract a successful coach. How dare those idiots be critical of the owner! In fact, how dare they report or even opine on anything that isn't pure roses and sunshine.

Some culture we live in- when in doubt, bash a reporter.

I love how "the media" is somehow a problem with the bills. Apparently the fans still want smoke blown up their asses?

Right. It's the media's fault we can't draft in the first round, won't do a legitimate search for a real gm or can't attract a successful coach. How dare those idiots be critical of the owner! In fact, how dare they report or even opine on anything that isn't pure roses and sunshine.

Some culture we live in- when in doubt, bash a reporter.

I really didn't mean it that way, I just like some life shown for once at OBD, beats the Jauron drone....

Regarding the topic: I'm not at all embarrassed by our new GM, because he's done nothing to either establish pride or bring shame. It's simply too early to have an opinion at all. I can say however, that I really like the firing of Guy and that now a detail is coming to light that Modrak wanted Cushing and it was others who wanted Maybin...i.e. Limp Dick Jauron....as for the Chan hiring, it's one of those things that I've reserved for later. If Chan is able to get this offense to be consistently productive and if the new DC is able to stop the run without giving up 300 yds a game in the pass defense, then I will say that this was a good hire. As for how he "sounds" when he speaks, there are a lot of very good football minds that during press conferences that don't sound like Rhode Scholars, and quite frankly I don't care.....just put a winning team on the field and all is forgiven!!!

Did these nimrods ever hear Ross Perot speak? He's worth what, about a pooptillion dollars?

It's not 15, but it all depends on how you do the count. You can count as few as 16 counting Gailey, 17 if you add Pitts when Marv was out with prostate cancer, 19 if you count the two terms each of Saban & Johnson separately.

Different men as Bills coaches:

1) Ramsey

2) Saban (twice)

3) Collier

4) Johnson (twice)

5) Rauch

6) Ringo

7) Knox

8) Stephenson

8) Bullough

10) Levy

11)Pitts

12) Phillips

13) Williams

14) Mularkey

15) Jauron

16) Fewell

17) Gailey

By the way, the Steelers have had 6, not 4 since 1960: Parker, Nixon, Austin, Noll, Cowher, Tomlin.

Good info but I would not count Pitts. True he subbed for Marv foi 3 games while Marv has having surgery but he was never hired as a coach.

Neither was Fewell, he was an interim coach.

Johnson was interim and then stayed the next seaon. He was interim a second time and thankfully, he did not stay the following year.

Johnson, Ringo and Stephenson were all atrocious as HC.

Rauch and Bollough were very poor as well. Rauch tore apart the last remians of our championship teams and let good players like Jim Dunaway and Ron McDole leave or be traded. He also used OJ as a "decoy" for two season.

Not embarrassed by Nix at all. He is a football guy, not a polished chairman of the board. Polian was rough around the edges as well and he challenged the media all the time.

I like the fire and I like the attitude.

I think, unlike some, I'm going to give them both the benefit of the doubt and see what they do before I start making unwarranted and baseless accusations.

How about that?

Oh you arent going to be like the other oddballs here and decide that just because they arent who they want there totally against it