Jim Bates to interview for DC position

Bates, does he like big D-Line or what?

from wikipedia:

"Bates' defensive scheme uses the defensive tackles to plug the middle, with the defensive ends pressuring the quarterback. Special emphasis is on the linebackers, as short, speedy LB's are especially fitted for this format. Linebacker Zach Thomas and defensive end Jason Taylor are among the players Bates developed in Miami. Bates is well-liked among players for being a fiery, energetic, demanding, yet fair and hands-on coach."

HC- Chan Gailey

Assistant HC/OC- Dan Reeves

DC- Jim Bates

I kinda like that combination... But I would prefer a better DC, since Bates last 2 coaching stints (Denver and Tampa) didn't work out well at all. He led bad defenses both times. But the offensive side of the ball should/would be in good shape.

HC- Chan Gailey

Assistant HC/OC- Dan Reeves

DC- Jim Bates

I kinda like that combination... But I would prefer a better DC, since Bates last 2 coaching stints (Denver and Tampa) didn't work out well at all. He led bad defenses both times. But the offensive side of the ball should/would be in good shape.

in all fairness - he did not have the best of players to work with- esp. in tampa

Bates' recent resume:

2009: Bucs were 27th in total defense

2007: Broncos were 19th in total defense

2005: Packers were 7th in total defense

2004: Dolphins were 8th in total defense (and did well from 2000 to 2004)

Hopefully the past two stints were just the result of not having the right players to fit the system (?)

Bates' recent resume:

2009: Bucs were 27th in total defense

2007: Broncos were 19th in total defense

2005: Packers were 7th in total defense

2004: Dolphins were 8th in total defense (and did well from 2000 to 2004)

Hopefully the past two stints were just the result of not having the right players to fit the system (?)

I don't think your reasoning is correct. This guy likes under sized linebackers and doesn't like to blitz often. He uses his two DT to push up the middle and do nothing else and attacks the QB with the 2 ends.

This guy is run stop first. Plays man to man coverage.

aka.... his style works great in a run dominated league. Which is ok for us because we play the Jets and Pats. Jets love to run, and Pats also like to run. However, this guy is NOT good for a passing league. That's why his recent years he's struggled a lot. He gets killed in a passing happy league which is what we have today. Won't take Ryan and Belly long to figure this guy out and attack us via the air and own us.

Bates = disaster hire.

I don't think your reasoning is correct. This guy likes under sized linebackers and doesn't like to blitz often. He uses his two DT to push up the middle and do nothing else and attacks the QB with the 2 ends.

This guy is run stop first. Plays man to man coverage.

aka.... his style works great in a run dominated league. Which is ok for us because we play the Jets and Pats. Jets love to run, and Pats also like to run. However, this guy is NOT good for a passing league. That's why his recent years he's struggled a lot. He gets killed in a passing happy league which is what we have today. Won't take Ryan and Belly long to figure this guy out and attack us via the air and own us.

Bates = disaster hire.

Despite your unfortunate choice of user name, your post rings true. I'd prefer to see the Bills go with a 3-4. And to say no to Jim "defensive master" Bates.

Despite your unfortunate choice of user name, your post rings true. I'd prefer to see the Bills go with a 3-4. And to say no to Jim "defensive master" Bates.

Sorry.

We will play a 4-3. According to Thurman Thomas it's between Bates and Guther Cunningham though. Both play the 4-3. Except, Cunningham has had a ton of success, except for the 0-16 Lions, but let's be honest, as good as he can be, he's no miracle worker.

I said this guy would probably be our pick in a thread last night... Sounds about par for the course at this point...

This is the normal course in the NFL. New head coaches bring in their guys. Guys they know. All the "name" coaches do the same thing. Parcells brought in his guys in Miami. Same for Bellicheck in New England. The NFL is a close knit network. When a team says it's doing a "comprehensive coaching search", it means they're calling people they know.

Unfortunately, Bates is a "scheme" guy. I'd much prefer a guy who adapts his defense to fit the players he has.

Exactly. Adapting a defense to your players' talents is a much more successful plan than forcing a scheme on them. The scheme can work if you have the right players, but if you don't - and can't acquire them - it can be a disaster.

I don't think Bates would be a "disaster" hire, but I'd be a little nervous about it.

Sorry.

We will play a 4-3. According to Thurman Thomas it's between Bates and Guther Cunningham though. Both play the 4-3. Except, Cunningham has had a ton of success, except for the 0-16 Lions, but let's be honest, as good as he can be, he's no miracle worker.

Gunther Cunningham's 1st year with the Lions was this past year so he wasn't in on 0-16, although he was DC for the Chiefs the previous 2-3 years

In another bipolar world, I recall that the universe was coming to an end when Bills didn't offer the job to Mike Sherman in 2006 who was going to bring the defensive genius, Jim Bates along with him. Where was that?

from wikipedia:

"Bates' defensive scheme uses the defensive tackles to plug the middle, with the defensive ends pressuring the quarterback. Special emphasis is on the linebackers, as short, speedy LB's are especially fitted for this format. Linebacker Zach Thomas and defensive end Jason Taylor are among the players Bates developed in Miami. Bates is well-liked among players for being a fiery, energetic, demanding, yet fair and hands-on coach."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! short, speedy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!