Jim Bates to interview for DC position

Jim Bates would be a fine coordinator... Just as long as they provide the type of players he needs for his scheme... Right now, they'd have to bring in faster LB's and another big, gap filling DT.. Maybin and Shoebel fit well, so does Stroud... but, Poz...deffinitly not... Probably need a whole new LB crew... unless you use Poz as the Will... Love our secondary.

Isn't it strange that even though Jauron was fired months ago, We dont have much time to get quality assistants in here. And now we are scraping the bottom of the barrell. Not too many people to choose from. The fact that Dan Reeves wants to coach the offense is kind of scary too. If it were me I would get the guy who made the Tampa 2 defense successful; Herman Edwards. Make the guy Assistant Head coach in the process. That way we don't have to revamp the whole defensive roster and we can focus on Offense. I dont mind going to the 4-3, but we need more linebackers. Keith Ellison wont cut it.

Unfortunately, Bates is a "scheme" guy. I'd much prefer a guy who adapts his defense to fit the players he has.

Considering some of the players we have on defense we should be looking for a Division 3 or high school coach. That's the definition of "fitting the defense to the players"

I do find it entertaining that because he had Zach Thomas that he favors "small, quick" linebackers. Funny, I don't think "small" when I think of Merriman?

This is the normal course in the NFL. New head coaches bring in their guys. Guys they know. All the "name" coaches do the same thing. Parcells brought in his guys in Miami. Same for Bellicheck in New England. The NFL is a close knit network. When a team says it's doing a "comprehensive coaching search", it means they're calling people they know.

Hey no need for the lecture man... I understand the incestuous nature of the NFL... Like I said, about par for the course... The Bucs demote the man before the season is over... He's perfect for us!!!! I think I said the same thing about KC DC Pendergast in another thread (in case we switch to the 3-4). KC OC Gailey is relieved of duties before the season and DC Pendergast is demoted afterward... These guys could fit right in here!!!