Peter King Chimes in on Gailey Hire ...

CosmicBills

In Miami, his "star" was "I don't want to play football, I want to smoke pot" Ricky Williams. That team was certainly led by their defense (it seems in this day and age every team has one side that is superior to the other. Well, except the BILLS who are mediocre on both sides of the ball). That doesn't change anything, really.

actually I don't think he even got the benefit of Ricky Williams. His offensive star was Lamar Smith. Williams arrived the season Gailey left for Georgia Tech.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not seeing a lot of appreciation for the guy. Maybe he can make our offense "slightly less anemic" SDS..is there something about that firing I'm not seeing?

Name 3 players on the KC offense from 2008.

BTW, the Chiefs offense this season scored 3 more points than they did last season (because of their defense - their offense scored fewer TDs both rushing and passing). They changed QBs, RBs, and both starting WRs and were actually LESS productive offensively.

But Gailey was the problem.

I didn't mention yardage rankings at all, not that it matters. The fact is, Gailey's offenses have been productive despite what are OBVIOUS shortcomings in talent - especially at the QB position.

In Miami, his "star" was "I don't want to play football, I want to smoke pot" Ricky Williams. That team was certainly led by their defense (it seems in this day and age every team has one side that is superior to the other. Well, except the BILLS who are mediocre on both sides of the ball). That doesn't change anything, really.

I don't know if Gailey is a good HC or not but I do know he's been a very good OC in the NFL pretty much everywhere he's been. I also remember thinking that Jerry Jones firing him was ridiculous.

You're right - my mistake for reading it too quickly.

BTW, the Chiefs offense this season scored 3 more points than they did last season (because of their defense - their offense scored fewer TDs both rushing and passing). They changed QBs, RBs, and both starting WRs and were actually LESS productive offensively.

Kool-aid, Kool-aid - tastes great. Kool-aid, Kool-aid - can't wait.

Chiefs lost Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson was suspended and then cut, and had to work with injuries to Matt Cassell. They lost leading receiver Dwayne Bowe to a steroid suspension and reached for the waiver wire to pick up a shot Chris Chambers. The fact that this team equaled their previous year's numbers is pretty incredible under these circumstances.

Chiefs lost Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson was suspended and then cut, and had to work with injuries to Matt Cassell. They lost leading receiver Dwayne Bowe to a steroid suspension and reached for the waiver wire to pick up a shot Chris Chambers. The fact that this team equaled their previous year's numbers is pretty incredible under these circumstances.

pants on the ground!

Off the top of my head, Tony Gonzalez, Dwayne Bowe and Larry Johnson. Face it...the 2008 season was not a good season for Kansas City. I'm not saying Gailey was the problem..but he certainly wasn't the solution.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/31/todd-ha...ve-coordinator/

They didn't equal last seasons numbers. They had fewer yards, fewer TDs both passing and rushing, and averaged a half yard less PER PLAY (the Chiefs 4.8 YPP was equal to the BILLS last season).

You're also pretending that the Chiefs didn't deal with any issues the season before, which is ridiculous. I feel bad that Cassell missed one whole game and Bowe had to sit four. Chris Chambers didn't look shot to me. I didn't realize receivers blew up at age 31.

At the end of the day, Chan Gailey figured out how to get the ball to Tony Gonzalez NINETY SIX times with Tyler Thigpen and Damon friggin' Huard at QB. We barely surpassed that number to Lee Evans AND Terrell Owens COMBINED last season.

It has nothing to do with kool-aid. I already said I have no idea if this guy is a good HC or not (and neither does anyone else but I'll take Bill Cowher's word over yours, call me crazy). I do know that he is the HC of the BILLS for at least next season and I'm gonna cheer for him to succeed instead of being the typical negative douchebag sports fan that are seem to breed via mitosis.

Off the top of my head, Tony Gonzalez, Dwayne Bowe and Larry Johnson. Face it...the 2008 season was not a good season for Kansas City. I'm not saying Gailey was the problem..but he certainly wasn't the solution.

Bowe - 80 catches for 1022 yards and 7 TDs.

Gonzalez - 96 catches for 1058 yards and 10 TDs.

Johnson averaged 4.5 yards per rush

Charles averaged 5.3 yards per rush

The NFL thought so much of Tyler Thigpen that he was signed for ONE game this season (Miami). His 18 TDs in 11 games have been exceeded only TWICE by BILLS QBs since 2003 (Bledsoe had 20 in 16 games in 2003 and Losman had 19 in 16 games in 2006). Tyler friggin' Thigpen. You have to go back to 2002 to find 2 Buffalo receivers who caught over 80 passes with 1000 yards each. Yeah, Gailey sucked.

No one knows if Gailey would have been the solution in KC. That team was/is a disaster and giving a coordinator one season to try and turn something around in the NFL is ludicrous, especially when you're starting QB at the beginning of the season is a journeyman (Damon Huard) and he loses the job to a rookie from Coastal Carolina. Add to that the 31st ranked defense in the NFL...

So yeah, Gailey got fired by Todd Hailey. Coaches get fired. ALL OF THEM. Your chances of that happening increase greatly when a new regime takes over. The Chiefs weren't any better last season and most would argue they took a step back despite making significant changes.

anyone who criticizes the Bills is attacked. Yet the majority of people in the media are really disagreeing with most of the Bills' moves. I also doubt there is any media conspiracy against Wilson, the Bills, or the City of Buffalo.

There is a psychological response to those who think others are always working against them. It is a Persecution Complex. But for sports fans, there is the Pseudopersecution Complex. After many, many times of seeing the refs call it against our team when we see it differently, we start conjuring up all sorts of conspiracy thoeries. It is interesting to note that a percentage of each NFL team's fans is convinced that such a conspiracy exists. I have screamed my belief of it during many Bills games. But in my quieter moments, I realize that it ain't so. But there is a bit of favoritism by the refs toward protecting the top stars in the league. Some day someone will confess about this.

Bowe - 80 catches for 1022 yards and 7 TDs.

Gonzalez - 96 catches for 1058 yards and 10 TDs.

Johnson averaged 4.5 yards per rush

Charles averaged 5.3 yards per rush

The NFL thought so much of Tyler Thigpen that he was signed for ONE game this season (Miami). His 18 TDs in 11 games have been exceeded only TWICE by BILLS QBs since 2003 (Bledsoe had 20 in 16 games in 2003 and Losman had 19 in 16 games in 2006). Tyler friggin' Thigpen.

No one knows if Gailey would have been the solution in KC. That team was/is a disaster and giving a coordinator one season to try and turn something around in the NFL is ludicrous, especially when you're starting QB at the beginning of the season is a journeyman (Damon Huard) and he loses the job to a rookie from Coastal Carolina.

Yeah, Gailey got fired by Todd Hailey. Coaches get fired. ALL OF THEM. Your chances of that happening increase greatly when a new regime takes over.

I think in this thread your evidence is sound, and it would be quite difficult to counter many of your arguments, but if I may chime in, when did it become so blatant that Tyler Thigpen is a bad QB? In my opinion, having only watched him in the game where we scored like 56 points, he was the best player on the Chiefs. He looks mobile, has a hell of an arm, and as you said, basically threw for more TDs in 11 games than anyone since Kelly. Knowing that, where does your argument stand that it's impressive he did this with Thigpen?

They didn't equal last seasons numbers. They had fewer yards, fewer TDs both passing and rushing, and averaged a half yard less PER PLAY (the Chiefs 4.8 YPP was equal to the BILLS last season).

You're also pretending that the Chiefs didn't deal with any issues the season before, which is ridiculous. I feel bad that Cassell missed one whole game and Bowe had to sit four. Chris Chambers didn't look shot to me. I didn't realize receivers blew up at age 31.

At the end of the day, Chan Gailey figured out how to get the ball to Tony Gonzalez NINETY SIX times with Tyler Thigpen and Damon friggin' Huard at QB. We barely surpassed that number to Lee Evans AND Terrell Owens COMBINED last season.

It has nothing to do with kool-aid. I already said I have no idea if this guy is a good HC or not (and neither does anyone else but I'll take Bill Cowher's word over yours, call me crazy). I do know that he is the HC of the BILLS for at least next season and I'm gonna cheer for him to succeed instead of being the typical negative douchebag sports fan that are seem to breed via mitosis.

I'm calling BS on your entire premise. Despite your desperate attempt to claim otherwise for biased reasons, they indeed lost their best skill players from the previous year yet finished ranked 25th in the NFL in offense, down from 24th the previous year with Chan "Bill Walsh" Gailey masterminding superior weapons.

I trust the fact that no NFL team wanted him to be their head coach in the past 11 years over an alleged Bill Cowher endorsement of his buddy. Dick Jauron had the endorsement of Marv Levy, too...that went well. Unlike many typical douchebag Bills fans with an inferiority complex, who will blindly cheer for Ralph's team no matter what mountain of bargain basement dreck he spews out, I will continue to just not give a crap until he's gone.

It's called having standards.

Peter Kings football knowledge is terrible. He gets to vote for the HOF. Amusing.

He is an idiot. He wrote extensively how Art Monk was not a HOF candidate. Then "he discussed it" with Joe Gibbs and he changes his vote. He is a Parcells/Belichick sycophant and apologist.

Herm Edwards brought Gailey in as offensive coordinator last season, after Gailey was let go as head coach of Georgia Tech. With the Chiefs in 2008, Gailey took an offense that had been miserable in 2007 and made it slightly less anemic -- K.C. went from 31st in points scored in '07 to 26th overall in '08.

I'm not seeing a lot of appreciation for the guy. Maybe he can make our offense "slightly less anemic" SDS..is there something about that firing I'm not seeing?

With the new regime bringing in Pioli and Haley there was no need for him to have another offensive mind in KC.

I'm calling BS on your entire premise. Despite your desperate attempt to claim otherwise for biased reasons, they indeed lost their best skill players from the previous year yet finished ranked 25th in the NFL in offense, down from 24th the previous year with Chan "Bill Walsh" Gailey masterminding superior weapons.

There isn't anything "desperate" about it. I personally don't care about your premise. The guy has had better offenses with lesser players (especially at the QB position) throughout his entire career. The Bill Walsh "comment" is typical of someone who doesn't actually know crap.

I trust the fact that no NFL team wanted him to be their head coach in the past 11 years over an alleged Bill Cowher endorsement of his buddy. Dick Jauron had the endorsement of Marv Levy, too...that went well. Unlike many typical douchebag Bills fans with an inferiority complex, who will blindly cheer for Ralph's team no matter what mountain of bargain basement dreck he spews out, I will continue to just not give a crap until he's gone.

No NFL team wanted Fred Jackson, either. That's not a standard anyone should ever use. I don't blindly "cheer" for anything. I simply don't whine like a little B word about everything. I'm sure the Ralph cares as much about your opinion as I do. Thanks for making me appear to defend Ralph, as much as I think of the guy. :unsure:

Good for you.

I think in this thread your evidence is sound, and it would be quite difficult to counter many of your arguments, but if I may chime in, when did it become so blatant that Tyler Thigpen is a bad QB? In my opinion, having only watched him in the game where we scored like 56 points, he was the best player on the Chiefs. He looks mobile, has a hell of an arm, and as you said, basically threw for more TDs in 11 games than anyone since Kelly. Knowing that, where does your argument stand that it's impressive he did this with Thigpen?

I like Thigpen and wish the BILLS had traded for him when he was available. He impressed me in the game we played against them and again the other time I watched him. I was more impressed that Gailey was able to take a rookie from Coastal Carolina and tailor gameplans to his strengths (mobility, quick release) while minimizing his obvious lack of experience/seasoning.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Miami will release him. I think he's better than anyone currently on the roster.

Gailey's "conservative" offense:

In Pittsburgh was 7th and 11th in points, with Tomczak and Kordell at QB. The season after he left, they were 28th.

In Dallas was 9th and 11th in points. The season before he took over, 22nd. The season after he left, 23rd.

In Miami they were 16th and 11th in points with Jay friggin' Fiedler at QB and Oronde Gadsden as their number 1 WR.

Buffalo's HIGHEST ranking in points in the last SIX seasons is TWENTY THIRD.

Best post of the day . Very nice. some 'friggin" facts for a change. we will be fine with Gailey. If he can win in Dallas and have J Jones as an apologist and Cowher as a supporter, he's good enough for me. go bills.

I hope he can figure out to get rid of Trent friggin' Edwards. :unsure:

Unlike many typical douchebag Bills fans with an inferiority complex, who will blindly cheer for Ralph's team no matter what mountain of bargain basement dreck he spews out, I will continue to just not give a crap until he's gone.

I'm just glad you sit in the "other" endzone. :unsure: