Damn you Chan Gailey!

DarthICE

Yeah there is just something about the guy I really like. This guy WANTS this job and has had success in the NFL. He knows what it takes to win. Jones himself said it was a mistake to have fired him.

I am giving the guy a fair shot.

How dare you be rational and reasonable! The national media knows all and the Bills suck - get with the program!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to hate you. I want to throw you under the bus and call this a cheap ass hire, etc. I just can't. There is just something about this guy I really like. I love the fact he can develop QB's so lets hope Nix goes out and gets one. I love the fact he will call the offense. There is no more camp Marv/ Jauron. It's time to bring some damn toughness to this team and I have a feeling if you don't bring your A game you will be shown the door with this guy.

As for as Buddy Nix is concerned, I loved how he backhanded the press and said it was funny watching all the BS reports out there. I love how he basically said he doesn't give a **** what the media has to say.

God Damn it...as much as I don't want to, I am pumped to see what Gailey can do. here is to hoping the Draft is a great one that produces that QB we have greatly been missing.

I for one am going to give the Nix/ Gailey regime a clean slate and fair shot.

:thumbdown::worthy::w00t::worthy::thumbsup::worthy::thumbsup::worthy::thumbsup::worthy:

Who are you and what have you done with DarthICE?

Seriously, thank you. This is a regime change that deserves a chance. Just because the fans didn't get who they want doesn't mean this guy will suck.

I was a little skeptical when I first heard it, but as I looked at his history, I'm more than willing to see what he's got.

I want to hate you.

You shouldn't.

I want to throw you under the bus and call this a cheap ass hire, etc. I just can't. There is just something about this guy I really like. I love the fact he can develop QB's so lets hope Nix goes out and gets one. I love the fact he will call the offense. There is no more camp Marv/ Jauron. It's time to bring some damn toughness to this team and I have a feeling if you don't bring your A game you will be shown the door with this guy.

As for as Buddy Nix is concerned, I loved how he backhanded the press and said it was funny watching all the BS reports out there. I love how he basically said he doesn't give a **** what the media has to say.

God Damn it...as much as I don't want to, I am pumped to see what Gailey can do. here is to hoping the Draft is a great one that produces that QB we have greatly been missing.

We'll see. Right now, there isn't much more than lip service going on. What I am most interested in seeing is:

1. What kind of coaching staff is put together

2. What type of philosophies they intend to utilize on offense and defense

3. What personnel moves they make in free agency...if any

4. What happens w/ the NFL Draft

'Til these things happen, we really don't have a great idea as to what will happen w/ the 2010 Buffalo Bills.

You shouldn't.

We'll see. Right now, there isn't much more than lip service going on. What I am most interested in seeing is:

1. What kind of coaching staff is put together

2. What type of philosophies they intend to utilize on offense and defense

3. What personnel moves they make in free agency...if any

4. What happens w/ the NFL Draft

'Til these things happen, we really don't have a great idea as to what will happen w/ the 2010 Buffalo Bills.

Agreed. I think we are going to see a FB brought back into the offense if his previous stints were any indication. The only thing I see going south is the QB situation. It is time to clear this roster and start over hopefully with someone from the first round of the draft.

Agreed. I think we are going to see a FB brought back into the offense if his previous stints were any indication. The only thing I see going south is the QB situation. It is time to clear this roster and start over hopefully with someone from the first round of the draft.

Who? There's only a couple guys who are truly of any decent caliber (and even that's debatable), and I really don't think they'll be available w/ the 9th overall selection. So, that means you reach on someone not of the caliber of the pick just to fill a positional need. To me, that isn't smart. To pass on a stud player of a different position just to grab a QB, ANY QB, is to watch All Pro caliber players slip through your fingers, something the Bills have become adept @ doing in recent years.

Who? There's only a couple guys who are truly of any decent caliber (and even that's debatable), and I really don't think they'll be available w/ the 9th overall selection. So, that means you reach on someone not of the caliber of the pick just to fill a positional need. To me, that isn't smart. To pass on a stud player of a different position just to grab a QB, ANY QB, is to watch All Pro caliber players slip through your fingers, something the Bills have become adept @ doing in recent years.

'we want someone with a full body of work. Jr High, Highschool, College'. That would be Bradford, Tebow, Clausen and McCoy at minimum. And FTR, Chan Gailey has done more with less talent than those guys have.

No. If they pick at 9 they need an OT or a MLB. All of the QB's have warts that would make me shy away from any of them in the top 10. What the Bills should do is trade down and pick up an extra 2nd round pick. Then use one of the 2nd rounders to take a QB. The only way the Bills should not be taking an OT in the first two rounds is if they get McNeil from San Diego in FA. THAT would open up that first round pick.

I have not been able to see the press conference and will look at it this afternoon....but without having done so a couple of comments:

- Buddy Nix firmly stated that he wanted a OFFENSIVE MINDED coach with head coaching experience. That is exactly what he went out and got. Was he one of the names being pushed....NO......is this a up and coming hot shot coordinator or a proven super bowl winning HC....NO. But he does meet the requirements that Buddy Nix set forth.

- Regardless of what happened with the Chiefs last year.......this guy has a PROVEN record of productive offenses.

- In the background let us not forget that there were candidates TURNING THE BILLS DOWN....they did NOT have their pick of head coaches out there as we had hoped....the amount of money for a HC made no difference. This team made their bed in how they are viewed by the rest of the NFL and now they have to live with it. It is NOT BUDDY NIX FAULT....that damage was done before he ever became GM. All he can do now is try to right the ship.

- While Chan's ability to be a effective HC is important....just as important to the success or failure is what kind of talent he is given by Buddy Nix......both in the draft and free agency......and what kind of quality assistants can be brought in for DC and ST. Chan's proven ability to be a succesful OC has already upgraded that position since he will handle both duties.....THE TEAM IS ALREADY IMPROVED on the offensive side of the ball just from this one aquisition.

- In a year if Chan has turned this offense around and we shore up our ability to stop the run all the people who are picking

Leslie Frasier (never been a HC and has been fired from a DC position)

Russ Grimm (never been a HC, OC, or DC)

Marty Shott (wanted to stay retired)

son Shott (turned us down)

J. Harbaugh (turned us down)

Cowher (led us along in the worst way @uck him)

Shanahan (turned us down...our first choice and we tried for him)

Lets just wait and see

I love the fact he can develop QB's so lets hope Nix goes out and gets one.

What quarterbacks has he developed? Here is his lists of quarterbacks he's coached -

Mike Tomzack, Kordell Stewart, Troy Aikman at the end of his career, Jay Fiedler, Tyler Thigpen.

A pathetic list if I ever did see one. I'm not saying that is his fault. If anything, it's a credit to him that he has been able to make the playoffs with guys like these at the helm. But don't make up things to try to prove your point like "he can develop QB's".

To me, that press conference was quite an underwhelming release of hot air. Chan spouted the typical coach-speaking generalizations about fundamentals and needing teachers to teach the players. There wasn't enough in his podium performance to sway me one way or another. We don't even know who his staff will be yet.

What quarterbacks has he developed? Here is his lists of quarterbacks he's coached -

Mike Tomzack, Kordell Stewart, Troy Aikman at the end of his career, Jay Fiedler, Tyler Thigpen.

A pathetic list if I ever did see one. I'm not saying that is his fault. If anything, it's a credit to him that he has been able to make the playoffs with guys like these at the helm. But don't make up things to try to prove your point like "he can develop QB's".

To me, that press conference was quite an underwhelming release of hot air. Chan spouted the typical coach-speaking generalizations about fundamentals and needing teachers to teach the players. There wasn't enough in his podium performance to sway me one way or another. We don't even know who his staff will be yet.

That is your call as it is all fans, but I for one am going to back the guy till he PROVES he can't do the damn job.

Agreed. Jets are in the AFC CG not because of their "Sanchise," but because they fixed the line before going after the QB. Doesn't matter who's under center if he's got practice-squad tackles blocking for him.

I want to hate you. I want to throw you under the bus and call this a cheap ass hire, etc. I just can't. There is just something about this guy I really like. I love the fact he can develop QB's so lets hope Nix goes out and gets one. I love the fact he will call the offense. There is no more camp Marv/ Jauron. It's time to bring some damn toughness to this team and I have a feeling if you don't bring your A game you will be shown the door with this guy.

I've heard this time and again about his offensive prowice. He can develope QB's. Can someone show me a list of the guys he's brought along?

Agreed. Jets are in the AFC CG not because of their "Sanchise," but because they fixed the line before going after the QB. Doesn't matter who's under center if he's got practice-squad tackles blocking for him.

A good QB makes the line better. We have seen QB's crap out behind good lines. Either the guy has it or he doesn't and no OL in the world is going to make him better.

Edwards behind the best OL in the NFL would still suck. Captain checkdown, scared to throw into coverage and with anticipation and is weak armed.

We need the QB, put the rest around him. Dallas did it with Aikman, we can do it here too.

I for one am going to give the Nix/ Ga

me to.

'Boys already had Tuinei at LT when they drafted Aikman, no? Colts already had Tarik Glenn when they drafted Manning. Bills had just drafted Wolford when Kelly finally got here.

Current Bills have ... DBell? Meredith? Gotta do better than that, or your first-round QB ends up looking like David Carr.

As always, JMO...

Yeah there is just something about the guy I really like. This guy WANTS this job and has had success in the NFL. He knows what it takes to win. Jones himself said it was a mistake to have fired him.

I am giving the guy a fair shot.

What in ur mind, is a fair shot? One year, two years or a full 3??And, does that something you like include CG as both HC/OC?

Hi everyone, lifelong Cowboys fan here who requested to join your forum today because of the Gailey hiring. I see that a lot of Bills fans are feeling a spectrum of emotions ranging from frustrated to disgusted over this move, and believe me, I would say that about 60% of Cowboys fans weren't thrilled with Gailey's tenure in Dallas from what I've read on our own message boards over the years.

That being said, I was always in that 40% that thought he was great for Dallas. In fact, I was happy to see Jerry Jones own up to the mistake he made when he fired Chan, even if he just finally came out with his admission in the last year.

You guys have gotten a solid coach who I am convinced will be much better in his 2nd NFL HC stint, and I'm saying that while thinking he did just fine in his 1st one as well. One thing Gailey is is a very rational guy who tries to learn from past mistakes. You guys heard it for yourself in today's PC when he went right back to the January '99 Wild Card game the Cowboys lost to the Cardinals and stated that in retrospect, he may have let the team get overconfident. He seemed to have that answer and memory right at the forefront of his mind, as if he actively gives his past shortcomings the proper amount of attention in order to avoid repeating them.

Gailey rescued a Dallas team that had fallen under significant disorganization under Barry Switzer and really turned them around. He instituted post-practice penalty laps for any pre-snap penalties that occurred in practice, got Nate Newton to drop close to 100 pounds when had ballooned up close to 400 during the offseason leading into the '98 campaign, and succeeded in getting a team that had gotten very fat and happy so to speak, to refocus and make the playoffs.

Skeptics always point to the fact that he inherited a team with all of these future HOFers, but that is misleading on a few fronts. To begin with, he had a very difficult proposition as a rookie HC in inheriting that type of team, because of the sense of entitlement from the veterans and the "I have 3 Super Bowl rings, why are you coming in here to change the offense we won those championships with" type of attitude he had to endure. During Chan's 2 years, all 3 future HOFers also suffered key injuries that caused them to miss stretches of games and in Michael Irvin's case, it was 12+games in '99, an injury he never returned from. Emmit Smith was also said to be on his last legs after the '97 season, and he had the last 2 great seasons of his stellar career under Chan (1,332 yards in '98 and 1,397 in '99 in 13 1/2 games).

One thing that is often forgotten is that Gailey had the '99 Cowboys headed to 4-0 when Michael Irvin suffered his injury in Veteran's Stadium. He also suffered subsequent other injuries at the WR position that year, until it got to the point that he had a 5th string rookie starting in the Wild Card game that year against the Vikings. Aikman also missed time that season (as he had during Gailey's first year), and Emmit Smith even missed 2 1/2 games with a broken hand. The 8-8 record and Wild Card berth the Cowboys managed that season was actually an accomplishment considering all of the changing personnel on offense he had to deal with.

Gailey is an adaptable and very creative offensive mind. He may have tried to force things a bit in Dallas as a rookie HC-- he had Michael Irvin lining up in the backfield and even out of the game on some 3rd downs back in '98 for example--, but I think he long ago learned from those mistakes. To be fair, he also had some great offensive wrinkles that he introduced, such as running the option with Emmit Smith and Ernie Mills and direct snaps to halfback Chris Warren waaaay before the Wildcat was in vogue, that opposing defenses never saw coming that year.

Look for Chan to really do some creative things with guys like Fred Jackson, who is very quick in space and can do multiple things well. If Marshawn Lynch does end up being retained by the team, look for Gailey to do good things with him as well. There's no denying Gailey has a solid track record with running backs, be they mediocre ones or Hall of Famers. For example, Emmit Smith has credited Gailey in the past with having resurrected his career, and Lamar Smith, never anything to write home about before or after his time with Chan in Miami, had his most productive years when Gailey worked with him.

Finally, I've seen a few challenging the idea that Gailey has developed QBs. I agree to an extent, I think the better description for what he's done is maximize a few of these guys' abilities when he's had them. I.E. Fiedler, Stewart, and Tomczak had their best seasons under Chan's tutelage.

Sorry for the long post and for stepping into the Bills discussion here, but I thought I would add my .02. I am looking forward to watching your team with unprecedented interest this season and to rooting for Chan and your team to do well.