Official Press Conference Thread

scribo

Name them

1968 - 1972 records from 1&12 to a best of 4&9; Joe Collier, Harvey Johnson, John Rausch as coaches

1976, 77 2&12, 3&13 Jim Ringo

1982 - 1986 4&5 (strike), 8&8, 2&14 (twice) 4&12 Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullogh

The brief respites from pain in all these years were the glory days of OJ in the early 70's and the turn of Chuck Knox in the late 70's. He finally broke the string of 20 straight defeats to the Dolphins in 1980.

Marv Levy was hired in 1987.

That should bring you up to date.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1968 - 1972 records from 1&12 to a best of 4&9; Joe Collier, Harvey Johnson, John Rausch as coaches

The brief respites from pain in all these years were the glory days of OJ in the early 70's and the turn of Chuck Knox in the late 70's. He finally broke the string of 20 straight defeats to the Dolphins in 1980.

'86

No, I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills. That does not mean I agree with everything they do, and certainly does not mean I am happy about the decline of the team over the past 10 years. It does mean that I am at least willing to reserve judgment until we have a staff in place, we go through the initial free agency period and the draft, and just maybe, until they play an actual game 9 months from now. If I did not feel that way, I would cease to be interested in the Bills and probably the NFL as a whole. Believe it or not, there have been worse times to be a Bills fan.

Well, I am a fan too. However, you can't ignore a couple of things.

A) This franchise has become a joke. Multiple lower tier coaches turned the Bills down. There is a good reason for that.

B) The Chan Gailey hire is prima facie evidence that nothing has changed at OBD.

C) The Bills have promised change, but after 10 years of crap we call that lip service.

D) Ralph Wilson is a terrible owner. In business, you make sure you hire the best and brightest you can find. He fired Bill Polian and retained Linda Bogdan and Jeff Littman. That's bad business AND nepotism.

You can continue to support this team, but you're relying strictly on blind faith at this point. The Buffalo Bills are a business. When a business churns out a crap product, they lose customers. Only people who are blind continue to purchase crappy products. The Bills are no different. They're a defective product. It's time to stop buying.

So obviously our problem, Bills fans, is that the comparative success of Levy and Ground Chuck ruined our team's otherwise splendid record of medocrity. Those handful of good years made us think, somehow, that the Bills could actually run with the big dogs.

My philosphy was always "I don't care if we're 2-14, as long as the 2 is Miami"...and every win was treasured because it was so rare.

I guess what we need to do is to remember that the lower the bar, the easier to step over it. Right now, Chan Gailey comes to us with a "winning" record as an NFL head coach, which is something we have not had in a LONG time.

:thumbdown: But, still. Chan Gailey. :w00t:

What I found interesting was Nix stating that the only person the HC job was offered to was Gailey. Not Cowher, or Shanahan? Does anyone else find that strange?

I find it patently dishonest. If there IS any truth to that, which I highly doubt, then this organization is More, not less dysfunctional than we think it to be.

You can continue to support this team, but you're relying strictly on blind faith at this point. The Buffalo Bills are a business. When a business churns out a crap product, they lose customers. Only people who are blind continue to purchase crappy products. The Bills are no different. They're a defective product. It's time to stop buying.

Thats fine - I understand. I gave up my season tickets when Ralph fired Chuck Knox, and I was not alone. (I did rebuy the year before Levy was hired though so got great seats) Everyone is free to stop supporting the team. I choose to wait and see and look expectantly forward to a newly competitive team. I am not delusional, I just choose to be a fan. I will be right there bitching and complaining if things go poorly, but I just do not see the doom and gloom others do right now.

Thats fine - I understand. I gave up my season tickets when Ralph fired Chuck Knox, and I was not alone. (I did rebuy the year before Levy was hired though so got great seats) Everyone is free to stop supporting the team. I choose to wait and see and look expectantly forward to a newly competitive team. I am not delusional, I just choose to be a fan. I will be right there bitching and complaining if things go poorly, but I just do not see the doom and gloom others do right now.

cough cool-aid drinker cough