Eric Wood Update

Perhaps Brown chose to write about Butler because he's further along, or because as a veteran, he expects BB to lead the line (along with Hangartner).

I like Chris Brown. However Wood was a 1st round pick and was expected to become a star, and he suffered a horrific injury that appeared to potentially be career-threatening. Butler suffered an ACL, and while serious, players come back from that routinely these days.

From Buffalo Football Report's Tyler Dunne, during a recent Q-and-A with Brian Brohm:

"He's doing pretty good. He's able to put a little bit of weight on it now. He's confident that he'll be back and I'm confident in him because he's such a hard worker. I feel like he'll be back and ready to go by the first game. I'm not positive but he's pushing for that."

That's basically like the Butler article, except with Brian Brohm. That was the first I heard of Wood's progress from anyone. :lol:

Perhaps Brown chose to write about Butler because he's further along, or because as a veteran, he expects BB to lead the line (along with Hangartner).

From Buffalo Football Report's Tyler Dunne, during a recent Q-and-A with Brian Brohm:

"He’s doing pretty good. He’s able to put a little bit of weight on it now. He’s confident that he’ll be back and I’m confident in him because he’s such a hard worker. I feel like he’ll be back and ready to go by the first game. I’m not positive but he’s pushing for that."

In that article, Brohm reminded me that "He [Wood] was my center for every year I started at U of L so we definitely have some game experience together." If Brohm is in this mix for QB, we may be looking for another OG in this draft/FA and moving Wood to Center. I'm not totally sold on Hangman; maybe some of you can sway me.

Astro

In that article, Brohm reminded me that "He [Wood] was my center for every year I started at U of L so we definitely have some game experience together." If Brohm is in this mix for QB, we may be looking for another OG in this draft/FA and moving Wood to Center. I'm not totally sold on Hangman; maybe some of you can sway me.

Think of it this way. If the Bills move Wood to C, they have Levitre, Incognito, and Hangman fighting for the 2 starting OG spots. Although I'd prefer they try Levitre at LT rather than taking one high and seeing him fail.

Doc, that is my same sentiment. How much would it cost to have Icognito around for another year? Does someone who watches the OL on tape think it would be worthwhile? Having Levitre, Wood, Icognito be the middle three with Hang as the primary backup doesn't sound half bad to me. Butler at RT and all we need to find is a LT assuming Bell is not who we want starting (though he is fine as a backup)

Astro

Put Wood at C and let Incognito play RG. Butler plays RT. Levitre at LG. We just need to find a LT. I like our OL better already.

Doc, that is my same sentiment. How much would it cost to have Icognito around for another year? Does someone who watches the OL on tape think it would be worthwhile? Having Levitre, Wood, Icognito be the middle three with Hang as the primary backup doesn't sound half bad to me. Butler at RT and all we need to find is a LT assuming Bell is not who we want starting (though he is fine as a backup)

There is no doubt in my mind that the Bills re-sign Incognito this offseason. In fact, I believe him and George Wilson are the priority in February.

Astro

This is exactly why I want them to draft Pouncey in the 2nd.

Well since we're now hearing about a lockout in 2011, I think we can safely say that there will be no cap in 2010 barring a major turnaround. So that means that Incognito, who just finished his 5th year in the NFL (he was inactive his entire rookie season in 2005), will be a RFA for the Bills. How much depends on the compensation level, but figure $1.1M-$1.6M for the year.

I am still hopeful that Bell can become a descent starting tackle. If he continues his bulking up this off-season, and has a good training camp with plenty of reps this year in camp, think he has the potential to be a good tackle. He didn't get enough reps and was thrown to the wolves this year, so don't really blame him as much as the poor planing that caused the situation honestly.

That being said, giving reps to Levitre and having them fight it out if Bell doesn't start strong in camp is a good idea anyway, as he seemed to have the best year of anyone on the current roster at LT this year.

rstencel, I would much rather keep Levitre at LG and let him develop there. That was where he was drafted for, its his natural position. He did alright filling in in an emergency at LT, but I don't think the Bills want him starting there. I would like to see the Bills draft MLB, LT, QB as their first 3 picks (switching the first two as the players available dictates). That would make our line: Pick/Bell, Levitre, Wood/Hang, Incognito, Butler. I think most of us could live with that.

I love Brad Butler. I think he and Wood are similar in that they are both fiery guys that aren't afraid to mix it up.

The only thing stopping Butler from being a very good olinemen is injury. If he can somehow stay healthy, we are a LT away from a very solid, young oline.

The only thing stopping Butler from being a very good olinemen is injury. If he can somehow stay healthy, we are a LT away from a very solid, young oline.

Right that's true. But the injuries are on an annual basis, and this latest one, the ACL, takes a long time to to heal and he may never come back 100%; he is a big man and big men tend to have more lingering affects from ACL.

I am hopeful that Meredith pans out and is serviceable since counting on BB for a full season of work is folly.

rstencel, I would much rather keep Levitre at LG and let him develop there. That was where he was drafted for, its his natural position. He did alright filling in in an emergency at LT, but I don't think the Bills want him starting there. I would like to see the Bills draft MLB, LT, QB as their first 3 picks (switching the first two as the players available dictates). That would make our line: Pick/Bell, Levitre, Wood/Hang, Incognito, Butler. I think most of us could live with that.

I agree with you, just mentioned him getting reps at LT incase Bell doesnt continue to develope or gets hurt, and to push him, if we don't draft another option.

Although think what they need depends on what defense they decide to run, but LB has to be high on list. If they decide to go back to 3-4 we need a whole new D-line, since or DE's are too small for a 3-4. Stroud would most likely be better fit at DE in that defense but we don't really have anyone else for NT. DE's need to be able to occupy double teams, and ours are smaller shoot the gaps or run around end types. If they do switch see at least one DL in first 3 rounds and probably 2 more in lower rounds.

Unless a steal drops at LT or they really love some one, I think they put off drafting a LT high till next year hoping that Bell develops further if they do any sort of dramatic scheme switch on defensive side.

Astro

ditto

This is great news ... you would think that one of our intrepid Buffalo News' reporters or whiners would have taken the time to develop a story on Eric's rehab. since he is a key component of our future "success" under ... oh how I hate to say this ... under Chan.

Although Charlie Chan always seemed to find the solutions to his problems ... maybe ... NAH ... I need a cup of coffee.

Guys like you read too much Jerry Sullivan. Gailey has the best resume of any coach we've had here since Marv. He hasn't even been in the job a week yet; hasn't even picked a coaching staff, and you're already treating him like he's the second coming of Dick Jauron. You might want to cut the guy a little slack for a while, at least until there's actually something to complain about!

Put Wood at C and let Incognito play RG. Butler plays RT. Levitre at LG. We just need to find a LT. I like our OL better already.

Here's a couple good LT prospects that will be UFA's:

Marcus McNeill, San Diego: 26 years old, 6'7" 336lbs. playing under rookie (2nd round) contract, monster rookie year, not as flashy the past couple years but still well above average.

Donald Penn, Tampa: 27 years old, 6'5" 305lbs. underated guy, keeps the blind side clean, and the "2nd coming" of the Cadillac was largely do to running so well off tackle to the left. Well balanced and mobile. :devil: