Brian Shotty Update...

BillsPhan

When asked if he would turn down other head coaching offers Schottenheimer indicated that he would.

“I think I would listen and consider them all, but at the end of the day I’m happy,” he said. “I don’t see myself going anywhere.”

I have not looked forward to watching a playoff game not involving the Bills as much as I'm looking forward to todays' Chargers-Jets game. Some people have called me psyhchotic in my hatred of Shotty Jr's b.s. explanation of why he would not even respectfully interview with the Bills. He always had the option of turning an offer down. It appears Jimmy Harbaugh had no problem interviewing, receiving and offer, and just saying no to the Bills this past week!

So I am a huge Chargers fan today. I hope Shotty-boy gets his ass kicked. I'm rooting for somehow the Chargers shutting down the Jets wonderful running game and forcing Sanchez into 5 ints. Complete blowout. I love it when cocky arrogant people are forced back down to earth with a thud.

Go Chargers.

Dude, who freaking cares? He's happy where he is, the Bills said "we'd like you to interview", he considered and said no. What is the big deal?

I've had some opportunities to interview for jobs (at higher level positions) and have said no as well. Because, wait for it, I'm *happy* where I am. More responsibility, a better title and a higher pay grade doesn't automatically = happiness.

The guys got a good thing going, no need to be a hater...

Dude, who freaking cares? He's happy where he is, the Bills said "we'd like you to interview", he considered and said no. What is the big deal?...

What would have been the big deal for him to take the interview? What could have been the downside for him? None. Zero downside. Just say no if any offer comes in. He takes away the experience of interviewing for a head coaching position, one of only 32 in the world, and he shows the Bills the respect they deserve.

I'll let this go after today. I'll never bring Shotty up again. Until that is, he takes the next interview he's offered, and accepts the job if its' offered, by a more "attractive" NFL destination, despite how much "he's happy where he is."

Flame away people. I stil hope the Chargers win big today, and I'll enjoy reading the NY papers make him "less happy" if his offensive game plan ends up sucking.

When asked if he would turn down other head coaching offers Schottenheimer indicated that he would.

“I think I would listen and consider them all, but at the end of the day I’m happy,” he said. “I don’t see myself going anywhere.”

I have not looked forward to watching a playoff game not involving the Bills as much as I'm looking forward to todays' Chargers-Jets game. Some people have called me psyhchotic in my hatred of Shotty Jr's b.s. explanation of why he would not even respectfully interview with the Bills. He always had the option of turning an offer down. It appears Jimmy Harbaugh had no problem interviewing, receiving and offer, and just saying no to the Bills this past week!

So I am a huge Chargers fan today. I hope Shotty-boy gets his ass kicked. I'm rooting for somehow the Chargers shutting down the Jets wonderful running game and forcing Sanchez into 5 ints. Complete blowout. I love it when cocky arrogant people are forced back down to earth with a thud.

Go Chargers.

Sounds to me like he is doing what he thinks is best for his career. He might feel that another couple years as an OC might make him a stronger candidate and demand for him might be higher then. He might not view the Buffalo job as one with the best opportunitiy. You have a lousy roster, a very old owner with no apparent succession plan and a potential lockout looming. All of this is potentially disruptive to building a winning program. He looks like a smart guy to me in how he is handling this, preferring to wait for other oportunities. Looks like the Bills are getting a similar response from several candidates for likely the same reasons.

What would have been the big deal for him to take the interview? What could have been the downside for him? None. Zero downside. Just say no if any offer comes in. He takes away the experience of interviewing for a head coaching position, one of only 32 in the world, and he shows the Bills the respect they deserve.

I'll let this go after today. I'll never bring Shotty up again. Until that is, he takes the next interview he's offered, and accepts the job if its' offered, by a more "attractive" NFL destination, despite how much "he's happy where he is."

Flame away people. I stil hope the Chargers win big today, and I'll enjoy reading the NY papers make him "less happy" if his offensive game plan ends up sucking.

I guess my perspective is why bother to interview if you're not interested? Interviewing for a job takes time to research and prepare (maybe even a little stress), plus if you KNOW you're not interested you're doing a disservice to, and wasting the time of, a potential employer.

I'm guessing with the little game the Jets are playing today, Brian has had a few other things on his plate.

Maybe I just care less because Schotty wasn't one of the guys I wanted to see in a HC anyway.

If we can't have a Cower or (to a lesser extent) a Shanahan, I'm down with one of the coordinators out there. From all that I've read I'm on the Frazier bandwagon - the guy is solid and by many, many accounts is ready for the top job and will be a good NFL HC. I'd definitely take him over Shotty and I prefer him over Grimm...

My 2 cents.

I have immense respect for the guy. All too often good co-ordinators jump into a head coaching position that they aren't prepared or suited for and they fail at it. He enjoys where he is at and is happy to be working with his boss. I like my job. I turned down more lucrative offers at other companies because of it. It happens all the time.

Stop buying into the national media hype that this is anything more than he's happy in his current job.

So this scenario would make you happy?

Nix: Hi, Brian - thanks for traveling here and taking time from your busy playoff preparations to meet with us and discuss the head coach position here in Buffalo.

Schottenheimer: No problem, Buddy, but just a 'level-set' before we get started - I have no interest whatsoever in coaching the Bills, but took the meeting to hone my interview skills just in case an opportunity that I really DO want comes along at a later date.

Your outlook is all wrong - it's much more professional of Shottenheimer to decline the interview than to waste everyone's time and T&E $$$$. That way, the Bills can get on with the important business of hiring...

it's much more professional of Shott to decline the interview than to waste everyone's time and T&E $$$$.

Absolutely correct. But the Bills currently being a national laughing stock has the hard core Billievers very defensive. They truly cannot understand why anyone would not jump at the chance to coach the Bills. And they are very frustrated. Anyone turning down the Bills, fact or some "reporters" inside information, is met with anger.

So this scenario would make you happy?

Nix: Hi, Brian - thanks for traveling here and taking time from your busy playoff preparations to meet with us and discuss the head coach position here in Buffalo.

Schottenheimer: No problem, Buddy, but just a 'level-set' before we get started - I have no interest whatsoever in coaching the Bills, but took the meeting to hone my interview skills just in case an opportunity that I really DO want comes along at a later date.

Your outlook is all wrong - it's much more professional of Shottenheimer to decline the interview than to waste everyone's time and T&E $$$$. That way, the Bills can get on with the important business of hiring...

Mike Leach is too busy blaming everyone from Craig James to the Texas Tech mascot in his law suit against the university for firing him. Why would he be interested in coaching the Bills? And why would the Bills be interested in hiring this idiot in the first place? Any college coach that would single out the son of an ESPN announcer for "punishment" in todays' day and age of political correctness and 24 hour media coverage, has got to be too stupid for his own coaching talents, if indeed he has any.

Mike Leach is too busy blaming everyone from Craig James to the Texas Tech mascot in his law suit against the university for firing him. Why would he be interested in coaching the Bills? And why would the Bills be interested in hiring this idiot in the first place? Any college coach that would single out the son of an ESPN announcer for "punishment" in todays' day and age of political correctness and 24 hour media coverage, has got to be too stupid for his own coaching talents, if indeed he has any.

Er, um, yeah...that's almost a dumb as your original post, unless you know something that the rest of the football world overlooked.

Leach has had a winning season every year during his tenure at Tech, and is one of only 16 active college head coaches who have never had a losing season. He was the NCAA Division 1A Coach of the Year in 2008, winning both the George Munger Award and the Woody Hayes Trophy. Wishbone formation creator Emory Bellard has stated that Leach does the best job of any offensive coordinator in the nation.

As to whether he singled anyone out for 'punishment', that's being litigated over the next few weeks - so, rather than just shooting from the hip with baseless accusations, I'll wait to see what the courts and a jury render.

BTW - Leach graduated BYU with honors, has a Masters, and a J.D. - having graduated from Pepperdine Law School in the top third of class. Yep, like you said - he must be pretty stupid.

Get back to us when you have something intelligent to proffer.

Er, um, yeah...that's almost a dumb as your original post, unless you know something that the rest of the football world overlooked.

Leach has had a winning season every year during his tenure at Tech, and is one of only 16 active college head coaches who have never had a losing season. He was the NCAA Division 1A Coach of the Year in 2008, winning both the George Munger Award and the Woody Hayes Trophy. Wishbone formation creator Emory Bellard has stated that Leach does the best job of any offensive coordinator in the nation.

As to whether he singled anyone out for 'punishment', that's being litigated over the next few weeks - so, rather than just shooting from the hip with baseless accusations, I'll wait to see what the courts and a jury render.

BTW - Leach graduated BYU with honors, has a Masters, and a J.D. - having graduated from Pepperdine Law School in the top third of class. Yep, like you said - he must be pretty stupid.

Get back to us when you have something intelligent to proffer.

Here's something intelligent to proffer: Shotty Jr. and the Jets had the perfect gameplan to beat the Chargers today (dammit), and now he and the fat man will carry on their unlikely run at least one more week in Indy.

As far as your boy Leach, if he has a law degree that makes him even stupider to allow himself to get caught up in being accused of locking a kid up in an equipment shed.

Here's something intelligent to proffer: Shotty Jr. and the Jets had the perfect gameplan to beat the Chargers today (dammit), and now he and the fat man will carry on their unlikely run at least one more week in Indy.

As far as your boy Leach, if he has a law degree that makes him even stupider to allow himself to get caught up in being accused of locking a kid up in an equipment shed.

Thanks for the laugh - and for going so far as to italicize 'stupider' [sic] while calling someone else's intelligence into question.

:thumbsup:

I guess my perspective is why bother to interview if you're not interested? Interviewing for a job takes time to research and prepare (maybe even a little stress), plus if you KNOW you're not interested you're doing a disservice to, and wasting the time of, a potential employer.

I'm guessing with the little game the Jets are playing today, Brian has had a few other things on his plate.

Maybe I just care less because Schotty wasn't one of the guys I wanted to see in a HC anyway.

If we can't have a Cower or (to a lesser extent) a Shanahan, I'm down with one of the coordinators out there. From all that I've read I'm on the Frazier bandwagon - the guy is solid and by many, many accounts is ready for the top job and will be a good NFL HC. I'd definitely take him over Shotty and I prefer him over Grimm...

My 2 cents.

Amen GogueFather

Thanks for the laugh - and for going so far as to italicize 'stupider' [sic] while calling someone else's intelligence into question.

:thumbsup:

You're welcome. And thank you for pointing out to me that there really is no word "stupider." Allow me to correct that by saying that as a man with a law degree, Mike Leach acted quite "stupdly" by allowing himself to get caught up in this incident that included him "locking up one of his players' in a shed", would you not agree, Professor?

You're welcome. And thank you for pointing out to me that there really is no word "stupider." Allow me to correct that by saying that as a man with a law degree, Mike Leach acted quite "stupdly" by allowing himself to get caught up in this incident that included him "locking up one of his players' in a shed", would you not agree, Professor?

Er, um...I'm 'The Senator' - not 'The Professor' - but guess what?

There's no such word as 'stupdly' either. :thumbsup:

(As for whether or not Leach is guilty of "locking up one of his players' [sic] in a shed", I'll let the courts sort that out - you should do the same.)