Woah - Bills offered HC job to Harbaugh

John Kincaid, ESPN radio, just did a segment mocking the Bills. Said all high school coaches should call the Bills at their Toronto office for an interview. Advised the Bills to take out an ad in the local paper. It has become a national joke.

Anyone taking the job risks being considered a joke by the coaching fraternity.

Funny stuff.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relieved that the Bills have done their due diligence with regards to trying to get the best talent and have made valid attempts to hire the top tier guys like Shanahan, Cowher and Harbaugh. Going forward I'm completely cool with Leslie Frazier or even possibly Jason Garrett or Sean McDermott (if Frazier asks for crazy contract numbers). I just hope they don't interview Grimm who's never held a "real" NFL coaching job.

Could it be that Harbaugh, having just signed an extension with Stanford, decided not to pull a Lane Kiffin. Is that really an indictment of the Bills, or evidence that Jim is classier than Lane.

It is very tricky for a college HC to interview or even show interest in a pro job. The HC has to worry about the recruits he has and his prospective recruits bailing out on him if there is a hint that he might leave. That is why there is a lot of backdoor communicating and why a HC such as Harbaugh is reluctant to show public interest in a pro job without some assurance that he is a very serious candidate.

There were also some rumors that Lunatic Al Davis was interested in Harbaugh to replace Cable. The Bills are probably not going to get Harbaugh. But if it is true that they approached him then I'm glad that they were willing to consider someone young, energetic and has a personality. As I stated before, if the Bills select Frazier as their new HC I would consider him to be a very good candidate. So given my view on Frazier I'm going to root for the Cowgirls to defeat the Vikiings and maybe, just maybe, this coaching search fiasco can come to a merciful end.

While I suspect that it may be true that Harbaugh declined an interview -- I highly doubt the Bills actually offered him the job. There could be a variety of reasons why Harbaugh would decline, too -- some of them completely unrelated to the Bills themselves. maybe he just didn't want to be grouped in with Lane Kiffen.

So true. No way Jim Harbaugh get's offered that job WITHOUT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!

Jim Kelly to Harbaugh "hey woos, remember when you smacked me and I told you you hit like a girl? Ralph told me to call you and tell you the jobs yours"

Wait, didnt the Seahawks just do that? Maybe I just missed it cause I was in Mexico on vacation, but I never heard they were interviewing Carroll, then one day - boom - he was their coach. They either met in secret or just offered him the job - why is it so unbelievable that the Bills did the same thing with Harbaugh? The college ranks are like that. You never heard Kiffen was interviewed for the USC job, but one day it was just announced.

Darth...(sigh), you're wrong. Harbaugh's coaching record is 46-26. He turned around a horrible University of San Diego team and led them to consecutive 11-1 seasons. Then he took over the worst team in the PAC 10 and turned the program around in his third season, despite having inferior athletes.

You might consider doing a lot more reading and a lot less writing.

Dude as if my life as a Bills fan needed to get any worse. The long shot coach who I have wanted for about a year turns down the job. I dont even want to follow the draft this year because I dont think I can take another one of my favorite players from my favorite school who is a top 5 talent and plays a position of huge need for us falling to our pick only to be passed on by a bunch of clueless idiots. This FO/Franchise is an embarrassment. I mean really, only one guy has said maybe to being our coach.

When Pete Carroll turned down multiple NFL teams in the past, the media didn't paint that as a slight on the rejected teams only that Pete Carroll wanted to stay in the college ranks for now. I don't see how this should be different.

Because Harbaugh didnt sign his contract extension for almost 13 months because he "reportedly" wanted to make the jump to the NFL. I believe he neglected talk with ND about that job for the same reason... he wants to coach in the NFL. The only time he would prefer to stay in the college ranks is apparently when the only open job is in Buffalo...

Wait, didnt the Seahawks just do that? Maybe I just missed it cause I was in Mexico on vacation, but I never heard they were interviewing Carroll, then one day - boom - he was their coach. They either met in secret or just offered him the job - why is it so unbelievable that the Bills did the same thing with Harbaugh? The college ranks are like that. You never heard Kiffen was interviewed for the USC job, but one day it was just announced.

College coaches aren't going to openly interview during recruiting season. Unless they know the job is theirs or plan on immediately turning it down. It completely compromises what they need to get done this time of year. It's very believable that Harbaugh had some kind of meeting or discussion with the Bills. It is also believable that he turned it down, he has turned down bigger college programs already. I think he genuinely likes Stanford. It wouldn't be much of a story, other than the fact the Bills have been turned down a couple times already. The combination of Harbough and the other rejections, does however make a story.

When Pete Carroll turned down multiple NFL teams in the past, the media didn't paint that as a slight on the rejected teams only that Pete Carroll wanted to stay in the college ranks for now. I don't see how this should be different.

b/c this rejection continues an alarming trend.

Is your avatar a reference to J.K.'s late son? If it is it is truely in bad taste.

I agree. I noticed this comment as well. "Even Hunter has to laugh at the Bills HC search". WTF? If that is what it looks like, it is pretty disgusting. If it is being misunderstood than I apologize to BillsInOrchardPark. I just can't see a different reference though.

I agree. I noticed this comment as well. "Even Hunter has to laugh at the Bills HC search". WTF? If that is what it looks like, it is pretty disgusting. If it is being misunderstood than I apologize to BillsInOrchardPark. I just can't see a different reference though.

His avatar is Hunter Gathers, from the Venture Brothers, so it's not a reference to Hunter Kelly at all.

Just another thought fwiw, if the Bills did indeed offer Harbough the gig, that means that Harbough must have met with RW at some point last week? we missed this on the flight trackers

another thought, Charlie Casserly's name was mentioned during the GM "search"...think it would have been a bit easier to get Cowher if his CBS buddy was in place as GM?

Just another thought fwiw, if the Bills did indeed offer Harbough the gig, that means that Harbough must have met with RW at some point last week? we missed this on the flight trackers

another thought, Charlie Casserly's name was mentioned during the GM "search"...think it would have been a bit easier to get Cowher if his CBS buddy was in place as GM?

So, is there any truth that Jim Harbaugh offered the HC job? Funny I haven't heard about it on ESPN or NFL Network.

So, is there any truth that Jim Harbaugh offered the HC job? Funny I haven't heard about it on ESPN or NFL Network.

Precisely. Why is Charlie Casserly so worthy of being believed? Is this the same guy who was shredded by Belechick as a flat out lier for his report on Brady's injury? Is this report supported by any other "reporters" or any facts at all? This is an unconfirmed report by a discredited NFL hack with a burr up his butt because he did not get interviewed for the GM job. It may be true, but there is nothing to support it so lets just wait and see before jumping off the deep end on yet more unsubstantiated poor reporting by a TV talking head.

Interestingly, neither the Bills nor Harbaugh nor anyone in the national media has denied that the Bills offered him the job yet.

You beat me to it, dm. If this was a complete fabrication, one would think that the Bills would be guns-a-blazing at Casserly for defamation and making an ugly PR situation worse.