Grimm Likely to Rebuff Interview Request

Dawgg

I can see why a guy like Schottenheimer would turn down the Bills offer. Young up and coming OC in the media capital of the world. He'll get plenty of chances to be a head coach, and with a team that either has real QB to develop or one who's already on the roster. But Grimm is a "running game coordinator" and has never held a "real" job in the NFL. If he does turn down the Bills, he's flat out stupid not grabbing the opportunity presented to him. I hope he turns them down because Grimm doesn't exactly strike me as the football genius type. Would much rather have Frazier, Garrett, Rivera, Billick or Fassell before Grimm.

:unsure:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaughan is an excellent reporter, and I trust him when he says something like this. If he thought that there was much of a chance for Grimm, he wouldn't have written it.

It's Allen Wilson, not Gaughan. Though Wilson is also good.

But again, nothing in the article said "likely," that was all in the headline that some editor slapped on it.

I can see why a guy like Schottenheimer would turn down the Bills offer.

I can't. It's a chance to hone your interviewing skills and get some practice, even if you don't want the job. And outside of his name, I can't understand the love for this guy. Jets fans have been screaming for his head for years now.

I can't. It's a chance to hone your interviewing skills and get some practice, even if you don't want the job. And outside of his name, I can't understand the love for this guy. Jets fans have been screaming for his head for years now.

That would be disrespectful to the Bills who are looking only for candidates that want the job. It would look poorly on Schottenheimer if he did interview with the Bills and then turned down the offer to go back and be the OC with the Jets. He did the right thing. I'm pretty sure that a guy like Schottenheimer who's been around the NFL his entire life knows how to interview for a head coaching job.

That would be disrespectful to the Bills who are looking only for candidates that want the job. It would look poorly on Schottenheimer if he did interview with the Bills and then turned down the offer to go back and be the OC with the Jets. He did the right thing. I'm pretty sure that a guy like Schottenheimer who's been around the NFL his entire life knows how to interview for a head coaching job.

I don't agree that refusing even an interview looks better for Schottenheimer or the Bills. And after the interview, if his heart still isn't in it, he could just tell them "I think I'll stay where I am for now" so as to warn them against naming him as the HC.

It's Allen Wilson, not Gaughan. Though Wilson is also good.

But again, nothing in the article said "likely," that was all in the headline that some editor slapped on it.

Yep, my mistake. I thought it was Gaughan because he said essentially the same in his online chat yesterday.

I don't agree that refusing even an interview looks better for Schottenheimer or the Bills. And after the interview, if his heart still isn't in it, he could just tell them "I think I'll stay where I am for now" so as to warn them against naming him as the HC.

So in effect he'd be wasting their valuable time. If the Bills a had good QB situation then he'd probably be attracted to the job and interview. He doesn't want the job and is doing the mature thing.

So in effect he'd be wasting their valuable time. If the Bills a had good QB situation then he'd probably be attracted to the job and interview. He doesn't want the job and is doing the mature thing.

The Bills asked to interview him. Schottenheimer is under no obligation to have to want to take the job if it's offered. Just like the Bills are under no obligation to hire him after interviewing him. The bolded part, if true, reveals he's not the right man for the job and isn't ready to be a HC. Which is what I've been saying all along. I don't get the fascination with this guy, and thankfully he made the Bills' decision easier.

The Bills asked to interview him. Schottenheimer is under no obligation to have to want to take the job if it's offered. Just like the Bills are under no obligation to hire him after interviewing him. The bolded part, if true, reveals he's not the right man for the job and isn't ready to be a HC. Which is what I've been saying all along. I don't get the fascination with this guy, and thankfully he made the Bills' decision easier.

Where did I say he was? He was being mature and respectful when he told the Bills he was not interested in the freaking job. Are you thick?

Where did I say he was? He was being mature and respectful when he told the Bills he was not interested in the freaking job. Are you thick?

You said it when you claimed he didn't want to be disrespectful by turning down the job after being interviewed. And what you call mature and respectful, I call naivete. But again, I'm glad the Bills aren't "wasting" their time on him, and I can only hope they showed interest because Nix is friends with Marty.

You said it when you claimed he didn't want to be disrespectful by turning down the job after being interviewed. And what you call mature and respectful, I call naivete. But again, I'm glad the Bills aren't "wasting" their time on him, and I can only hope they showed interest because Nix is friends with Marty.

If the reports are accurate with regard to Ralph not wanting Marty or any part of him in the organization then you can understand why his son would decline the interview. Especially if his Dad wanted back in but is too proud to say it publicly. Not to mention NY Jets have a rookie QB that will only get better, so there is a chance he is hotter commodity next year.

Grimm on the other hand doesn't make a lot of sense, he is in a situation where if the Cardinals lose today, he is going to inherit Leinart or a rookie QB. Head Coaching positons are usually offered to coaches on teams that are on the rise. Arizona will struggle without Warner. He should take what he can get now while the irons hot.

Naivete? He didn't want to waste his or the Bills time because he knows he wants to stay where he is and you call that "naivete"? People turn down interviews all the time. There is nothing unusual or naive about it whatsoever. Quite the opposite, actually.

There's a lot of breathless talk about these coordinators turning down interviews; let's see how uninterested they are after their teams are eliminated. An awful lot of this talk from Schottenheimer and Grimm (which we haven't actually heard from his mouth) could be designed to show their current players they are still loyal to them. Let's see what happens after this weekend's games. The two guys I mentioned might be done for the year, or other names might pop up from eliminated teams. I can only speak for myself, but the only experienced coach I liked going into this process was Cowher, and I like him less and less every time I see him grunting and slobbering his way through another halftime show on CBS. And I HATED how Donahoe rushed out and signed Greggggg and deemed it more important to sign a HC rightnow than to give proper consideration to candidates that still had teams in the playoffs. I am still patient about this process.

wow, surprised none of us thought of the Mularkey connection with Grimm.

Also, I'm starting to feel more and more like Grimm may not really be an ideal head coach, and he may know it. He's been a "hot" coaching candidate for a good chunk of this decade yet hasn't even been promoted to coordinator. Assistant Head Coach is a fake job as far as I can tell.