Nice article on Leslie Frazier

billieve420

Interesting article by a Detriot Lion's blogger during their coaching search last year. I am starting to warm up to the idea and believe he might be the best choice to become our next head coach. Hopefully he can bring in a proven offensive coordinator like Al Saunders to fix that side of the football.

Mentions that he is a Jim Johnson disciple which plays an agressive one-gap 4-3 scheme with a variety of blitzes from different postions. If we can shore up the run d and stay healthy next year the defense will be decent.

http://thelionsinwinter.blogspot.com/2009/...ie-frazier.html

Thanks for the link (and real information and perspective on this issue rather than the usual bloviating that populates fan boards).

This article does a lot to answer the fears expressed by some that the Vike D production is more of a feature of player talent rather than any work done by Frazier. This piece if accurate instead gives Frazier credit for putting in a scheme which made better use of Winfield's very good talent.

It also point to young players (which the Bills have a hunk of blossoming under Frazier's guidance.

The article also specifically sites Frazier showing productivity is switching his team away from a Cover 2.

I do not know the details of the Vikes personalities, but the take featured here does scan with my general knowledge of the turnaround of the Vikes into a real world contender. Favre clearly did a lot but no one player does it all by themselves and this cut seems to indicate Frazier is a high quality guy who deserves a share of the credit for their work.

The main thing I like about this article is that it sets a standard of folks who are complaining about Frazier to really provide some specifics if they want their complaints to be taken more as random whining by folks with their panties all in a wad because they want answer right now.

Very nice article. I was going to write something similar in defense of him. No doubt in my mind Frazier is a legit HC candidate.

throw it out there anyway!

any boiled down info on the Gap 1 vs Gap 2 techniques would be great, in layman's terms. I get a little lost in all that.

any boiled down info on the Gap 1 vs Gap 2 techniques would be great, in layman's terms. I get a little lost in all that.

1 Gap vs 2 Gap describes the way the DT lines up. The way the DT lines up determines what type of DT you need.

Each offensive lineman has a gap on each side of him. A 2 gap tackle will usually line up head on with a guard, a nose tackle does it vs a center. His job is to control two gaps. So say if I'm over the G, I will have a gap between the Center and Guard, and the Guard and Tackle, I need to plug both myself. I need to occupy blockers so the linebackers can be free to make a play. A guy like P. Williams is a good example of a two gap player. A guy like Ted Washington is a good example of a NT. These guys rarely put up numbers but really free up everybody else. Usually heavy and very strong. Better against the run then for applying pressure.

A 1 gap tackle will line up directly over one of the gaps. His job is to control only his gap. You want somebody who is fast, and who can penetrate. He needs to shoot his gap and get in the backfield. This lends to "undersized" DT's. One gap players generally have higher stat lines. Warren Sapp is a great example of a 1 gap DT. Better for applying pressure then against the run.

A good example of how a defense can get in to trouble or have player conflict is Sam Adams. At the end he had to play a 2 gap responsibility, but he thought he was a 1 gap tackle (he probably was despite his size). If a guy want's to shoot a gap and penetrate it's obviously difficult to control both gaps.

I think Frazier believes in the 1 gap system completely, but I also think he would take a guy like Ngata because he's a hell of a player (often one DT will play one technique, and the other will play the opposite position). Frazier has adapted to what he has/gets repeatedly, and he's worked with the brightest defensive minds in football.

Well that article sucks. I though Frazier was supposed to be a bad hire that would only be here because we had no choice and we'd sucked for it. But, that thing made him seem competent. What do I think now?

Nice write up....with that said, please do not hire him.

Nah...I'm on board. If Cowher doesn't want to be here, I am not going to make him a false idol. Billick didn't prove jack. Grimm could be viable, but who is his O-coordinator.

If Frazier is down with Dungy how could that not work out? I dare anyone to say that they wouldn't take Dungy if he made himself available.

4 of the 8 coaches in the playoffs were coordinators.

Let's load up and get behind this guy and see if he can do it. If you haven't jumped ship yet, why would you now?

LETS GO BUFFALO!!

Interesting article by a Detriot Lion's blogger during their coaching search last year. I am starting to warm up to the idea and believe he might be the best choice to become our next head coach. Hopefully he can bring in a proven offensive coordinator like Al Saunders to fix that side of the football.

Mentions that he is a Jim Johnson disciple which plays an agressive one-gap 4-3 scheme with a variety of blitzes from different postions. If we can shore up the run d and stay healthy next year the defense will be decent.

The Defense will be decent cause Frazier will be HC? Really? Well he can't bring the Williams' and that dominate DE with him so I doubt very much his scheme will assure a good D...

He's not the best choice...He may not be a bad choice, but he's not the best choice... :devil:

a samll speedy defense in the Bufalo climate will CONTINUE to get pummeled and chewed up... especially in crunch time against a top 12 offense. They just won't hold up... and Nix used an anology of the SD "D" vs. the Indy "D". That's why SD's offense could control 3 of the 4 games SD won against Indy.

We need a big physical defense... period.

The Defense will be decent cause Frazier will be HC? Really? Well he can't bring the Williams' and that dominate DE with him so I doubt very much his scheme will assure a good D...

He's not the best choice...He may not be a bad choice, but he's not the best choice... :devil:

The fact you don't know who Jared Allen is makes your opinion completely invalid.

a samll speedy defense in the Bufalo climate will CONTINUE to get pummeled and chewed up... especially in crunch time against a top 12 offense. They just won't hold up... and Nix used an anology of the SD "D" vs. the Indy "D". That's why SD's offense could control 3 of the 4 games SD won against Indy.

We need a big physical defense... period.

Minnesota has a big defensive line with the William's duo and Jared Allen. I believe I read somewhere that out of the 45 sacks they recorded this year their D-line was responsible for 38.5.

Great article talking about NFL defenses and terminology. Enjoy!

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/0...el_idpguide.php

I was a little worried about Frazier at first because (like many others) I didn't want the Bills to stick with

the Tampa 2 defense, I too was concerned maybe it wasn't the coaching, but the talent in MINN that made

them a good D (obviously it always goes hand-in-hand), and maybe all the interviews he had received were

only due to the Rooney rule.

But I'm starting to warm up to him and this article helped...what helped sway me in the article was that he is

not an exclusive cover 2 guy, he cut his teeth on a 4-3 and can do both...and more importantly that he was

both Dungy's and Childress' soundboard and number 2 man. Two head coaches turned to him for advice and

counsel. Dungy gave him an Asst to the Head Coach title while he was a DB coach and then Childress made

him Asst Head Coach in MINN. And he did supposedly finish 2nd in two previous head coaching openings.

So, I thought (maybe with rose-colored glasses to try and explain away my fear that the Bills are just totally inept)

what if the coaching search went like this...talk to Shanny to gauge interest...Nix enters and makes his list, so what

if his list was 1. Cowher, 2. Frazier. So, they meet with Cowher, give Perry his courtesy interview, and interview Frazier.

Cowher looks doubtful and they are happy with the Frazier interview, so they make their decision, but have to wait

for Minn to be out of the playoffs. To keep the fans and media somewhat at bay and to cover all of their bases in the

meantime, they ask for interviews with Schotty, Grimm, and whoever else, who turn them down because they have

inside info that Frazier is going to be the guy.

Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws.

Good article; thanks for posting the link :devil:

If the Bills keep up with their usual incompetent HC search, I hope that Oakland doesn't beat us to the punch.

You never know what Al Davis is going to do but he's another owner that won't pay for head coaching talent. I don't think he'd make a good enough offer to Frazier if he even talked to him.

I agree and am on board 100% with this hire, as I have been shouting the name "Leslie Frazier" for 2 years now. I really think that this guy has what it takes to be a successful NFL head coach. However, will Ralph, Russ and Buddy supply him with the staff and players that he needs to bring that success to Orchard Park, NY?

Mike Tomlin was the Defensive Coordinator in Minnesota, before being hired as the Head Coach in Pittsburgh. Leslie Frazier was the successor to Tomlin, and did/has done things with that defense and those players, that Tomlin did not achieve while in Minnesota. Frazier was a very solid NFL player and knows what it is like to lose your playing career to an injury, which is a major problem here...and I am sure he has noticed that and would do anything to fix it. This is not a bad thing for us here in Buffalo. Frazier's talent in Minnesota is not that far ahead of our own here in Buffalo. I would go as far as saying, there is NO difference with the exception of Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson.

Defensive-Line:

Schobel, Kelsay, K. Williams and Stroud are a very formidable group as a D-Line. Frazier would bring in a few guys to compliment those that I already mentioned, which in the end, would make said D-Lineman that much better. Do you think that Jared Allen is THAT much better than Aaron Schobel? No, Allen just has the 2 Williams' to work next to.

D-Linemen that Frazier could bring in, include: DE Ray Edwards and DT Fred Evans...both will be free agents in 2010. Brian Robison and Pat Williams will be available in 2011.

Linebackers:

Overall, I think we have better talent than Minnesota at these positions. However, I do not believe we have them in the right place to succeed. Paul Posluzny and Kawika Mitchell ARE starting NFL linebackers. They ARE good and have the required, talented skill set to succeed at this level. Mitchell has already proved this on a Super Bowl winning team and when he was with Kansas City, although I think he may be better suited in the middle. Aaron Maybin needs to be moved to OLB with his speed and agility, he would make for a nice pass rushing OLB. Nic Harris and Ashlee Palmer seem to be quality backup guys who have a decent skill set. Other than that, we do not have much. The Vikings, with Greenway and Henderson, have a better d-line in front of them, which makes them better. However, I think with the right help and coaching, Mitchell and POZ could be just as good as them. The only thing they have, that we could use, is a linebacker like Jasper Brinkley. That kid WILL BE a stud, and I do not believe we have anybody on our roster as good as him.

Linebackers that Frazier could bring in, include: Chad Greenway, Ben Leber and Erin Henderson (restricted)...but these guys will not be Free Agents until 2011.

Secondary:

Buffalo's secondary is better, hands down. I would take, any day of the week, McGee-McKelvin-Florence-Corner, over, Winfield-Griffin-Paymah-Sapp...no doubt in my mind, we have better CB's overall. I think he would do wonders with our Safeties, and Whitner-Byrd could become 1 of the top combos in the league. With Lankster and Sargeant, we have 2 young guys who have potential, with Sargeant being able to play CB and FS. We do not need much, if any, help here. But there are a few guys on the Vikings squad worth mentioning. We all know Winfield, he is great against the run, but he is getting older and I am comfortable with what we have. Griffin is a good CB too, but again, I like who we have. The only guy worth taking a look at, that will be available this off-season, is SS Eric Frampton...but he is restricted.

I REALLY think that Leslie Frazier is a well qualified candidate, and he is probably our best option...seems like our only option right now. However, maybe this is a blessing in disguise for us. We have good personnel here for him to work with, and like I said, I am sure he would bring some of his own guys like Rex Ryan did when he left the Ravens for the Jets, bringing Leonhard and Bart Scott. He would also probably make some moves, as he is the one who wanted and went after Jared Allen. We have plenty of young, hungry guys who want a chance to prove there worth...let's let Leslie get the best out of them, like he does...

"And yet, everywhere he goes, we see a pattern: young players bloom quickly, defenses get nasty, safety play is top-notch."

What else could we want or need, than what that sentence above describes???

He has worked with some of the best defensive coaches to ever grace the sidelines of a football field. He has done more with that defense than Tomlin did, who mind you, has won a Super Bowl as a Head Coach. He IS our guy. It is just a matter of who he would bring along with him. My choice would be Eric Bieniemy, Pat Morris, Jimmie Johnson and George Stewart, who are all positional coaches in Minnesota who have done a very nice job with thier skilled players. Darrell Bevel would be a nice Offensive Coordinator, but I doubt he would leave Minnesota to come to Buffalo for the same job.

Just give the guy a chance people. Read up on him before you blast him with your negativity. Things could be a lot worse...we could still be stuck with Dick Jauron. We could have kept holdovers from that regime...like Perry Fewell. Bless his heart, I love the guy and wish him the best, but I do not think he is a better choice than Leslie Frazier.